Cheapest way to send text to Russia?

Hi all,

I'm looking for the best pay-as-you-go deal to send text messages to Russia. PC-to-text solutions are not possible - reason being that I use Kaspersky mobile security and to send/receive commands the software goes via the Russian mobile network MTS :( Hence I need to find a cheap way to do that (currently costing 24p on Asda Mobile). Anyone know of a deal/bundle?

Comments

• ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If your phone can run Java apps try

http://www.fishtext.com
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    15p a text Orange Payg Camel Tariff.
  • ivinsp
    ivinsp Posts: 272
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    o2 payg with international caller bolt on 10p international texts
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Are you sending to a UK mobile number roaming in Russia. or to a Russian mobile number?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ivinsp wrote: »
    o2 payg with international caller bolt on 10p international texts

This looks to be a good bolt-on but I won't be using the SIM often enough to keep paying for it every month. I really need something with just a simple, low normal rate as it might take me 3+ months to use up my £5 credit. Thanks for the idea though!
  • macman wrote: »
    Are you sending to a UK mobile number roaming in Russia. or to a Russian mobile number?

To a Russian mobile number, not a UK phone roaming in Russia.
  • OldGreyFox wrote: »
    15p a text Orange Payg Camel Tariff.

Would this only apply if I keep topping up £10 per month? If so, it might be like the O2 bolt-on below where I couldn't take advantage because I use so little credit each month. I guess it would revert to the Orange standard text charges 1 month after I make the first £10 top-up (which would last me 6+ months at the rate I use it)? Thanks for your help!
  • qopyekch
    qopyekch Posts: 14 Forumite
    Having done some more searching around the internet, I may have answered my own question here:
    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/price-plans/pay-as-you-go/international-m-u/
    T-Mobile PAYG with a free International Pass is 15p per text to Russia. Much cheaper than the 24p I'm paying on Asda. :j
  • apple111
    apple111 Posts: 49 Forumite
    ACDeag is right. Forget tmobile, check if you can run Java appa and use fishtext. It uses next to no data (about 780 bytes per text i.e. hardly any cost) and each text to Russia costs 1.3p, I send loads every day! If you have an inclusinve internet allowance then even better.

What you do have to remember though is once you have sent the text, to EXIT the app so that it doesnt use any more data for no reason.

Even though you send the text through your phone's web broswer, the recipient will not tell the difference and it will show as sent from your mobile number.
  • qopyekch
    qopyekch Posts: 14 Forumite
    apple111 wrote: »
    ACDeag is right. Forget tmobile, check if you can run Java appa and use fishtext.

Thanks for the info, sorry I should have replied to ACDeag. I'm sure your solution would be great if it was regular texting you're after. However, as I said, I'm using it for Kaspersky mobile security. This program automatically sends a text to the Rusiian mobile network MTS. Therefore it wouldn't be possible to route the text via your java app. Thanks anyway - hope that info helps someone else. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure