The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Comments

• Welcome Triangle - Patman will be along shortly with your number :)

Good luck with the DMP - I know loads of people who've done them and said it's the best thing they've done to sort things out .... and really helps with the worry / stress of trying to keep on top of things

Payday :j

I really don't know why I get excited - I've just been and paid all the pots / bills - and there's £124 left in my account! :o

*sigh*

Another £25 into the EF pot - that's me up to £478 now

£175 since joining this challenge which is really fantastic as I'm hopeless at saving!

(to add to the £303 I have sitting in an inaccessible ISA! Really MUST write to them - I know, I said that last weekend!)

Well done everyone .... we will get there!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Hi guys
    Been MIA for awhile, unwell, sprained ankle generally down in the dumps.
    Good news have realised £1500 for new rust bucket meanwhile current rust bucket set me back £140 at the garage and the £80 taxi fares to work. Hopefully brilliant second hand motor will be posted at any moment and all my worries will be over:rotfl:

So got the EF but about to spend it...........then start all over again, is that the washing machine making funny noises?!?:rotfl:

Good to see people continuing to make progresss even though beset by life's myriad obstacles.

Keeping chin up svc
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 30 May 2015 at 5:46AM
    Welcome,Triangle:hello:. Wishing you all the best for getting an EF built up before your DMP starts:beer:. Sounds like a great idea. Wish I'd done the same before going on my DMP (best thing I ever did debt-wise by the way:j). Was in such dire straits financially that I started mine as soon as they could set it up after I 'applied'. Not sure how you know you are going to be on one but are deferring the start for several months. Not having access to credit was so scary to start with but is strangely liberating now:j

rising from the ashes, well done on your savings:T. You're not hopeless at saving, please don't beat yourself up. Every penny saved when money is so tight is an achievement and you're doing just fine:beer:

so very confused:wave:, welcome back. Hope you are feeling a lot better now. Well done on your savings, I'm very impressed with the rust bucket fund. Wish mine was so healthy (both my current rust bucket and the fund to replace it:(). Just had a car repair done and another one imminent, will update the damage to my EF when I know the worst. Sadly, it's one step forward and three steps back with getting any savings together:mad:

Good Luck everyone, keep at it:beer:
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Welcome Triangle. You are #117.
    Been AWOL from MSE for a few days as been using my tablet rather than my PC.

Just checked my bank account and they have already reserved 2 payments for Council Tax and mortgage ready for the 1st of the month.

Paid another chunk of my service charge and an over-payment on my cc bill and stuck another £7.40 across to my EF.

Had a busy few days, so must update my diary.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Trixxibell
    Trixxibell Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    #4 Update £100 total in EF account.

Xx
    3rd LBM July 2014: Debt [STRIKE]£31,416.68[/STRIKE] Down To: [STRIKE] £23,403.43[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]15th July: £25,709.83[/STRIKE] 26th March: £31,229.68
    CC £0 :j WFTC £1660, SLC £6600, Car £18,654, Emergency Fund £1,000 :T
  • Triangle
    Triangle Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    patman99 wrote: »
    Welcome Triangle. You are #117.

Thank you :beer::beer:
    Have added it to my signature - it's very exciting! :D
    MFW!
    Started 1/12/22 - £196,000

Saving targets 2023
    Mortgage Overpayment £0/£2000
    Bathroom £0/£2000
    Big Birthday Trip £0/£2000
    Long Term Saving Pot £0/£2000
  • Triangle wrote: »
    it's very exciting! :D

It's quite addictive too! :D

So I've been having a BIG debate with myself for the past few days - my washing machine is a year old on 2nd June and I've been sent an extended warranty offer

Now - I'm not usually a great believer in these things and certainly wouldn't contemplate one that provided 3 years cover - but this one is 5 years ...... more importantly, this is my 3rd WM in 10 years :eek:

Not quite sure what I do to them - there's just me so it can't have as much use as say a large family use theirs for BUT it does have a fair bit of dog towels / bedding etc - and the resulting hair and sand to contend with

Anyway, policy was reasonably priced (£104 or £10.40 for 10 months) so I've been debating it long and hard .... earlier today I went and read reviews for the policy and - well, let's say they weren't great!

So I've decided to put the £10 / month into the EF instead for the next 10 months!

I may live to regret it though .......
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • 3rd washing machine in 10 years, rising from the ashes:eek:

Can't advise on extended warranties, sorry, never had one, but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

My WM is about 10 years old, is used several times a week (full loads) and still works and looks like it did when I bought it. Was very expensive at the time (AEG) but I'd had one before for even longer and you get what you pay for IMO.

Do you live in a hard water area like me? Limescale is the biggest 'killer' of washing machines. The number of showers we've got through because of scaling up you wouldn't believe:eek:. I economise and take shortcuts and risks in lots of areas of my life:o but I always use a water softener in the WM. Not Calgon (too expensive:eek:) but the own-label powder version from Wilko.
  • Latest car repairs and other minor 'emergencies' such as vet treatment for my cat has totalled at £214.35:eek:. Signature now amended.

One step forward and 3 steps back at the moment:(. What else lies in wait?

Have a happy money-saving month everyone:beer:
  • Muser1
    Muser1 Posts: 795 Forumite
    #30 35p interest added £548.16 now! Would love it to be £700 by this time next month.

What are you all planning to do when you hit the magic £1000? I'm going to try and get mine to 5k. Imagine that!

Quite addictive this saving lark!
    Mortgage Jan 13 99260.00 87253 April 2017
    Emergency fund 700.00
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family