New Enterprise Allowance scheme - My story

Comments

• XEO25
    XEO25 Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    skater_kat wrote: »
    i'm ineterested to know what they think a reasonable turnover is, given that most business make a loss in the first year or two...?

Anything above 15k per year I think would be reasonable. It's all forecasts anyway.

I think if you went in with a forecast which showed a loss in the first 2 years, you would definetly be rejected.
  • shaneo85 wrote: »
    So has anyone else signed up to the scheme?

Trying hard to but to no avail, I've even contacted my local MP to try to pull some strings to get me on it.

If I do eventually get on the scheme I plan to put part of the loan on advertising and a website so shaneo85 you're welcome to send me details of your new company services if you like :)
  • I should point out that when I referred to training in an earlier post, that I wasn't suggesting that training should be available in the field that your business would be operating in; if you don't know how to the job that you will be basing your business on then you probably need to rethink your options. For my part I took the graduate route into graphic design and have been a professional graphic designer since 1991 and got into web design in the early days ('96 or thereabouts) so no worries there!

Shaneo85, it would be interesting to know just how much support you received, and in what form, during the initial planning period. There are clearly big differences between regional providers and obviously the standard of the mentors being used is quite variable.
  • WPN
    WPN Posts: 403 Forumite
    BathGooner wrote: »
    I went to the Job Centre Plus today hoping to get on NEA and was told they are only allowed to refer 2 CLIENTS A MONTH and therefore I couldn't join yet. My adviser really didn't help much and said they might have more info in 2 weeks when I go back.
    Regarding the 'up to' £1000 loan I was told it IS based on your credit status and therefore rule out a lot of people with bad credit history.
    2 clients per month?! Shows how pointless these schemes are! I heard similar limitations with people trying to get on New Deal Self-employment, SEC, Subsidy voucher etc. Has anyone on these schemes made a decent non-lifestyle business out of them?
  • WPN
    @WPN - It's true what you say about paying back £9 per month when you're only getting £65 per week from NEA, but remember you're also supposed to be running a business and turning a profit. The £65 is for those quiet weeks when you might not have as much work.

Point taken. My view is the loan is only £1000 max, so most people with a business idea will stick as much other money they have into it as well. Some businesses can be run from home but in all seriousness, a proper business needs a small office or virtual office to be run from. Most people will do their best to negotiate terms on a small serviced office (say 3 months rent-free for a 12-24 month agreement) and ever increasing these days a virtual office or maybe even a PO Box (which are close to £200 a year these days!! Not in instalments)

Its best to note that running a business from home can result in the NVO dividing the property so part pays council tax (i.e. the residental area) and part pays business rates (i.e. the deemed commercial bit). Running a business from home can even invalidate your home/contents insurance. This could work out expensive. Also, say you work as a hairdresser or computer repair person attending peoples homes to provide services, you really should have liability insurance (generally speaking new businesses are deemed high risk to insurance premiums relatively high) against being sued for personal harm or damages to property. Without that, something as simple as a freak incident which you might not even really be at fault could force you bankrupt.

Whether letterheads are professionally printed or with a computer printer... you are looking at anything realistically of £20 upwards... print as you go... ink is going to be a large chunk of your allowance.

I would be amazed if anyone managed to work anything proper from it. The only groups I can see doing fine from this is:
    a) Those with savings of their own to invest (why could they not sign off and do a business anyway?)
    b) Under 25s who will be able to take advantage of the higher allowance rate for first 13 weeks, before signing back on (if it works like that)
  • bofh5
    bofh5 Posts: 18 Forumite
    I was told that you received £65 a week "allowance" to help with business costs. eg Marketing, Advertising, Supplies etc as well as the weekly JSA of £67.50 which is what the law states is the minimum you can live on.

This made sense as getting a new business started isn't going to be easy.

Obviously this is incorrect and you are expected to fund your new business and pay for your basic living costs on the less money than you get on JSA.

Its a total farce and is completely unworkable unless your business is generating an income from day one.

After my bills i'm left with £23 a week for food and petrol.
    How the hell am i supposed to start a new business on that! Ink cartridges alone are £18 and doing your own marketing and advertising will eat the stuff!

and paying interest on a bank loan...seriously we just bailed them out to the tune of 850 billion ! isn't it time we got some of that back.

Steer clear...
  • Went back to the Job Centre today to see my regular advisor who's a bit more clued up than the last one I saw.
    He was apologetic about the delay in getting me on the scheme and although the referrals are still limited to 2 a month I am on the next one in October. He has already given me a Business Plan to fill out ready to present to my mentor who I have an appointment with.
    It is certainly not the best help in getting a business off the ground and I can see where the negative comments come from.
    Personally, I was going to start a business on my own anyway so I'm only really using this scheme to get the £65 a week which I wouldn't have got if I just signed off.
    I have the majority of all my tools so will apply for the grant to use as a website and promotion. Not too confident of being allowed it though :)
  • bofh5
    bofh5 Posts: 18 Forumite
    I'll carry on claiming JSA while i get my business off the ground which i'm financing myself after selling off some of my stuff.

I've done loads of research into the whole starting your own business thing and most sources recommend a timescale of 1 - 3 years to break even.

I just can't get my head around how they expect people to live and front the cost of starting a new business on less money than JSA.
    I'd be frightened to death of taking on any debt right now as you never know whats around the corner especially being self employed.

Looking forward to reading your feedback and good luck with your new business :)
  • seeke
    seeke Posts: 17 Forumite
    @boh5

I think the scheme is only suitable for businesses with very low start-up costs. My business idea can be run from a bedroom, and has very low capital costs. In my case, the scheme is ideal. If I combine NEA, WTC and HB together I'm a little better off than I would be on JSA. Plus if the business turns a profit, I get to keep that. So the schemes a great idea for certain types of business. It's also terrific for those people who were going to set up a business anyway.

Having said all this, I'm having difficulty with the mechanics of how to access NEA. My local jobcentre seem to have no idea themselves who provides the mentoring/loans/business plan review. They don't know who runs the scheme basically. This is bizarre:eek:. Anyone else experienced this? Anyone know what I could do about this? The DWP/DirectGov sites give very little information.
  • WPN
    Anyone who sees this as a package which must be taken in full is a complete fool!! You can use the allowance but not get the loan.

Look around for the best deal.

If you are aged 18-30 go to the Princes Trust (not sure if they will accept NEA participants however)

Not only will they assign you a 2 year mentor whilst you trade.. instead of a "mentor" before you start trading...

You can apply for a loan of up to £4000 (not just £1000).

Best of all the interest rate is 3%. Assuming there is no hidden costs or arrangement fees, they are hardly making anything from the loan. Ironically, that loan is probably more worth 10% interest than the NEA one as along side you are getting free business mentoring from someone who has been there and done that (even if a different industry).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure