Lost car log book - where can i get free a new one

Hi ya,

I have lost my log book for my car and it will cost £30 to get a new one through the post.

can anyone suggest a cheaper way of getting a new log book or is there anyway that i could get it free.

Please help / any advice would be very welcome

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think you can only get your logbook from that lovely place in swansea.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I have found the market in logs books to be a bit of a government monopoly, shocking as this is!
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    :rotfl:
    Hintza wrote: »
    I have found the market in logs books to be a bit of a government monopoly, shocking as this is!
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hintza wrote: »

Although I know this guy called Dave down the pub who can do you one for £20. Only thing is he changes all your VIN plates, reg numbers and files off the engine number too and recommends you sell the car ASAP.
  • THIS IS SUCH A RIP OFF
    In December I went to the DVLA in Chelmsford to have my private number plate transfered onto my car and they told me they would send me a new Log Book in the post. My car was due to be taxed on Saturday 31st January and since I hadnt recieved it by Friday 30th January I rang them up and told them I still hadnt recieved it.
    I was then told it had been posted on Tuesday 13th January and if I hadnt recieved it, it must have been lost in the post and.....
    That I would have to take my car off the road at midnight Saturday 31st January and on Monday 2nd february I would need to travel back to Chelmsford to get my car taxed.
    BUT wait for this....
    Not only to pay for my car tax but also pay £25 for a new Log Book!!
    Why should I pay the DVLA to replace something I havent recieved from them??
    This totally beggers belief!
    If your TV Liecence hadnt arrived in the post do they charge you £25?
    No they dont!

Its like these bank charges.
    How can they justify charging £25 to print another one off??
    Did I lose it in the post?
    NO!

And if they have posted it as they say, bareing in mind, I only have the word of a girl on the other end of a phone....
    Am I not entitled to see some sort of proof of postage and that it was infact actually posted??
    Shouldnt they be taking it up with the postoffice and not me?
    Why was it not returned back to the DVLA?
    It was their official documents they were sending to me.
    Where and what does this £25 get spent on??
    After all I bought the Private Number Plate directly from the DVLA in the first place.
    THIS IS SUCH A RIP OFF!!!!

Can someone please help me out on this one because I am more than hacked off.
    Love Sam..xx
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    THIS IS SUCH A RIP OFF
    In December I went to the DVLA in Chelmsford to have my private number plate transfered onto my car and they told me they would send me a new Log Book in the post. My car was due to be taxed on Saturday 31st January and since I hadnt recieved it by Friday 30th January I rang them up and told them I still hadnt recieved it.
    I was then told it had been posted on Tuesday 13th January and if I hadnt recieved it, it must have been lost in the post and.....
    That I would have to take my car off the road at midnight Saturday 31st January and on Monday 2nd february I would need to travel back to Chelmsford to get my car taxed.
    BUT wait for this....
    Not only to pay for my car tax but also pay £25 for a new Log Book!!
    Why should I pay the DVLA to replace something I havent recieved from them??
    This totally beggers belief!
    If your TV Liecence hadnt arrived in the post do they charge you £25?
    No they dont!

Its like these bank charges.
    How can they justify charging £25 to print another one off??
    Did I lose it in the post?
    NO!

And if they have posted it as they say, bareing in mind, I only have the word of a girl on the other end of a phone....
    Am I not entitled to see some sort of proof of postage and that it was infact actually posted??
    Shouldnt they be taking it up with the postoffice and not me?
    Why was it not returned back to the DVLA?
    It was their official documents they were sending to me.
    Where and what does this £25 get spent on??
    After all I bought the Private Number Plate directly from the DVLA in the first place.
    THIS IS SUCH A RIP OFF!!!!

Can someone please help me out on this one because I am more than hacked off.
    Love Sam..xx

i think the way they see it is that if your daft enough to spend a few hundred quid on a plate with you initials on it then they can easily extract anothe measly £25 from you.
    ...work permit granted!
  • i think the way they see it is that if your daft enough to spend a few hundred quid on a plate with you initials on it then they can easily extract anothe measly £25 from you.

what a stupid statement
  • zappahey
    zappahey Posts: 2,252 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    what a stupid statement

Sounds like better policies for a better Britain to me. I have no problems with extra taxes for the vain and stupid.
    What goes around - comes around
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    I would definitely not pay that, speak to a supervisor or manager to make your complain if you haven't done so. I don't know which governing body to complain to regarding the dvla as they are govt dept.
  • welshlil
    welshlil Posts: 126 Forumite
    We have found that a lot of doccuments 'go missing' and it's always the most important. So now we send by recorded delivery, shouldn't have to I know, but at least we have peace of mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure