Installing Microsoft Word onto a netbook?

Hello,

Please can someone advice me how I load Microsoft Word onto my daughters new netbook. I have it on a disc - and the netbook doesn't have a disc drive.. can I save it onto a memory stick then load it on the netbook - if so - how do I do that.. when I put the MS disc into my laptop - it instantly goes into installation mode - can I save it onto my memory stick - then put that in the netbook and download it onto the netbook

Obviously, I am not very bright when it comes to this techie stuff and dont understand totally what I am doing - so any simple explanations would be great :j

Thanks a lot

Hardy xxx

Comments

• amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Do you have a network at home, e.g. a wi-fi system? If so, you could use Windows to 'share' the CD from your laptop, 'map' the drive onto the netbook using Explorer and load the software over the network.

Otherwise, try this. Hold down the 'Shift' key when inserting the CD on the laptop; that should stop the installer running. Then copy the entire contents of the CD to a memory stick (it'll need to be 1GB to hold a CD-ROM).

Insert the memory stick on the netbook, there should be a 'setup.exe' or similar in the top directory, double-click that.

(NB Obviously you haven't already installed Word on the laptop, as installing it on the netbook too would be stealing).
  • Hardeman
    Hardeman Posts: 82 Forumite
    thank you... but i dont understand.. I have laptop and a desk top pc already... I am struggling to set the netbook up with the word disc and connect it to the internet...what a dummy... think i'll have to call someone out to set it all up for me....
  • Dime_Bar
    Dime_Bar Posts: 584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What Amcluesent is saying is that you need a licence for each device MS-Word is going to be on.

What OS is she running?
    The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hardeman, may i suggest, rather than panicking and calling someone out for something simple, you take a deep breath, and just re read what amcluesent has said... i'll re post it, with just the bits that you need
    Hold down the 'Shift' key when inserting the CD on the laptop (marky's edit - your normal computer, or normal laptop, not the netbook); that should stop the installer running. Then copy (browse to my computer, right click the cd rom drive, and choose open, click edit, select all, then click edit again and click copy) the entire contents of the CD to a memory stick (double click memory stick in my computer, and then choose edit paste) (it'll need to be 1GB to hold a CD-ROM).

Insert the memory stick on the netbook, there should be a 'setup.exe' or similar in the top directory, double-click that.

that is your solution of how to copy the cd onto a memory stick, and then you can install word onto the netbook.

remember, the 2007 version of office home/student edition gives you 3 licences in the house, so you can't exceed that!
  • Hi there...

This is my first post! :-)

There is a great guide to installing software on a netbook with no cd drives here:

http://www.atomnetbooks.com/2008/10/08/how-to-install-software-on-a-netbook-with-no-cd-drive/

Steven
  • Little_John
    Little_John Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    Easiest way copy the contents of the CD to a usb flash drive (pen drive) put the usb drive in the PC and run setup from there. You will need a 1 GB usb drive 521mb may do it depends on the version of office/word your installing but generally a CD is 640/700mb so it could need more space on the usb drive than 512mb.

just a little expansion on markymoos post
    copying the files
    put the cd in your desktop
    put the usb drive in the desktop
    open my computer then double click the usb drive
    open another my computer window, right click the cd drive and click open. (don't double click)
    ensure that all files are visible, click tools at the top then folder options and then the view tab, look at the list till you see the 2 options do not show hidden files and folders and Show hidden files and folders make sure Show hidden files and folders is the selected option.
    Click ok
    hold ctrl and press a to select all the files
    now hold ctrl again and press the c key to copy

go to the window showing the usb drive contents
    right click and go to new and then folder name the folder office then double click on it to open it
    click edit at the top and then paste to transfer the files you copied earlier to the usb drive.

Once it has finished copying remove the usb drive from the desktop and put it in the netbook I am assuming it is a windows netbook not a linux one?
    open my computer, then the usb flash drive double click the office folder then find setup.exe and double click it o start the install program and just follow the wizard.
    They usually look like the one in this image
    160fprunsetup.gif

As has been pointed out ensure that you are licensed to install this software and not installing pirated software. hey why not try open office
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    markymoo wrote: »
    remember, the 2007 version of office home/student edition gives you 3 licences in the house, so you can't exceed that!

IS that the same with the microsoft office 2007 NHS deal, this is the deal where they will send you a copy for £18 as its part of the NHS deal, can I put this on my netbook and laptop or will I need to buy 2 copies?
    thanks
    Jim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family