call blocking phones question

chipp
chipp Posts: 141 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
call blocker phones such as the 8600 - do they still work as call blockers if you have another phone not from the same "family" plugged in to a different socket on the same line? I like my old-fashioned two-piece corded phone, it means I can't accidentally press any buttons while I'm speaking, but I am getting fed up with phone calls from foreign call centres at what I consider to be antisocial hours.
If you can't think of anything nice to write, say nothing. Rudeness isn't clever.

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You would need the separate trueCall plug-in box for call-blocking and not the BT 8500 or BT 8600 handsets with trueCall built in.
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    If your using a BT landline they will block spam calls for nothing. You have to log into your BT account and just put the spam number in a box.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I have a normal phone plugged in as well as the 8500. It does ring twice before the 8500 kicks in. We don't find it a problem, but some people may find it annoying.
  • chipp
    chipp Posts: 141 Forumite
    imho wrote: »
    just log into your BT account and just put the spam number in a box

But more often than not it's number withheld or else a spoofed number that seems to be different each time. You're always playing catch-up. That's why I'm considering a call blocking phone.

BTW I don't have a BT account but it is a BT line (Plusnet).
    If you can't think of anything nice to write, say nothing. Rudeness isn't clever.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    chipp wrote: »
    That's why I'm considering a call blocking phone..

You won't regret it. We got one a year or so ago and haven't had a single spam call get through since.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure