Waiting for a proposal - how did you stay sane?!

Options

Comments

• jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks girls for your concern, apart from being tired after two really long days this week I feel a bit more 'normal' today! Helps that we got our Kenya tickets through as well so it feels a bit more real. My mum is adamant he will do it on holiday and is urging me to try and bide my time so I am going to do my best to be patient *insert angel smilie*

I did gain some perspective following the posts by p00piebottom and faerie :o, I am so sorry for what you are going through ladies, it's made me feel very silly and self centred when you are clearly struggling more than I am. I have no amazing words of wisdom unfortunately because I can honestly tell you I would be doing my nut in both cases and I don't think I would be able to continue the relationship in those circumstances, I hope that doesn't sound mean :(. I really hope you can both work through things and get what you deserve xx

Ally - I won't be proposing and I have told OH that in no uncertain terms!

Eleanor - Argh, sounds like a bit of an awkward one hun, has he let on any more about the 'surprises' he has in store?

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • eleanor73
    eleanor73 Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    jtr2803 wrote: »

Ally - I won't be proposing and I have told OH that in no uncertain terms!

Eleanor - Argh, sounds like a bit of an awkward one hun, has he let on any more about the 'surprises' he has in store?

No he hasn't - it's strange because I have a feeling it is a nice restaurant (I am a massive foodie and he really isn't) as he got a good redundancy payout and I hinted about hoping to be taken for a posh meal. Now whether that involves a ring or is related only he knows. It's difficult because (not wanting to sound like a social butterfly:rotfl:) but I have already organised a couple of things for April so he needs to at least let me know when it is or when to keep free! Regarding the house he said he understands why I wouldn't want to move into somewhere that looks like it's designed for a bachelor! Also he has said we will pay the slightly increased rent but be on the look out for a better deal so knowing him we won't be moving anytime soon so I don't think I will need to worry (well about that anyway!!)

Jtr-Glad your feeling more normal. We will both be practising our smiles!!:):A

Oh and Ally - no flipping way will I be proposing however I did have a laugh with my mate the other day. I said I might just scare him alittle bit and cook as special meal and act nervous-mwahahahaha!!!!
    Since starting again after beanie: June 2016: Child development DVDs, Massive Attack tickets. July: Aberystwyth trip, hotmilk nightie. Aug: £10 Hipp Organic vouchers, powerpack. September: Sunglasses. October: £30 poundland vouchers.
  • mazy_m
    mazy_m Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eleanor73 ha ha I love the idea of that I think you should do it.....I'd so do that if it wasn't my nan shopping and fatclub day!!
    A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    I had a really weird dream that I lost my engagement ring last night (not a proposal dream, just losing this ring and being quite upset about it) - very odd I know! The thing is though the ring in my dream was nothing like I'd have picked for myself; it was a plain silver band with three marquis cut diamonds and emeralds in between them. I have no idea if that means anything but it just felt very odd.

On the topic of proposing on Wednesday, I've toyed with the idea but in all honesty I probably won't - it seems a bit sad to say this but I think we've hit a patch where the relationship needs some serious work (mainly on my part I think) if we aren't going to drift apart. I do love my OH to bits but lately I feel like we've become more like friends than a couple and I don't think a leap day proposal would fix that.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh how strange Minerva! Google it and see if it means anything!

I won't be proposing, as lovely as it would be... plus he wouldn't get it... he's Dutch! xxx
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • Daisy-May*
    Options
    I had a really weird dream that I lost my engagement ring last night (not a proposal dream, just losing this ring and being quite upset about it) - very odd I know! The thing is though the ring in my dream was nothing like I'd have picked for myself; it was a plain silver band with three marquis cut diamonds and emeralds in between them. I have no idea if that means anything but it just felt very odd.

I had a weird dream last year that my boyfriend propsed to me whilst at work (strange location to say the least!:rotfl:)
    I also remember being presented with an awful engagement ring and I remember in my dream actually crying because I didnt like the ring but I couldnt say anything to anyone as I didnt want to upset my boyfriend and seem ungrateful!!

Its horrible to have a strange dream like this thankfully I have not had any since!
  • jtr2803
    Options
    Hey ladies, hope everyone had a good weekend!

Asknanswer2, not heard from you for a while, I hope you are ok xx

Well, all quiet on the western front although I thought he was going to do it this morning :eek:. He had to get up early for work and he made me a cuppa and then gave me a really nice backrub while I was laying in bed, then all of a sudden he jumped on the floor and knelt down next to the bed and started kissing my cheek like he was searching for my ear! I was half asleep but suddenly became VERY awake and my heart started beating fast......then he said 'love you, see you later' and went :rotfl:

Spero Meliora
  • squ1rrel5
    Options
    Feeling like an emotional wreck today.... had such a bad day in work (wont go into too much detail but ended up crying in the toilets to my boss - not a great thing to do but really couldnt help it).

I feel like im struggling to keep my head above water at the moment - there's quite a lot of stuff going on with work but to be quite honest, I just dont think all this stuff going on outside of work is helping matters!

Since all the excitment of a few weeks ago and the fact that nothing has happened since, I've been on a total low. Even the day when it all seemed like we were going to plan the new york stuff has been forgotten about and I just feel miserable. Now I just think it was the beer talking that made him discuss it...

People keep joking with me about tomorrow and I am just so not in the mood for it!! OH knows I wont ask and knows that he is not allowed to ask me tomorrow but even he keeps winding me up about it. I'm actually working really late tomorrow which hopefully means I can avoid being wound up by him even more. Roll on 1st March!!

I think whats getting to me is the fact that this Friday we are going to see some friends - they have been together for the same length of time as us (although are a few years younger) but I've just got this weird sense that they are going to announce something.
    It's weird but the next few weeks are absolutely choc a block with seeing friends who we've not seen for AGES (6-12 months) plus we have OH's family coming to stay in 4 weeks.
    Every single one of them will ask 'so what's new' and I dont think I can bring myself to say 'nothing' without crying.or getting angry..

Every time we see our friends they always seem to have something exciting to tell us and I know its selfish and a bit like wanting to be the centre of attention (which is not like me at all) but I just want to flash a nice shiny ring and say well actually THIS is new and I'm mega happy about it!!! :D

Thing is because of our work and all these occasions with friends and family etc there's actually no time for just us to do anything special so I dont think it will happen for another couple of months. Knowing that he wants to make it a bit special I just cant think of any time that he will be able to manage it.

I wish I could say I feel like I'm in limbo at the moment but I actually feel like im in hell!! It's affecting so much of my life and I know I shouldnt let it but it's just there all the time taunting me and I dont know how much longer I can cope without going absolutely crazy :eek:
  • jtr2803
    Options
    squ1rrel5 wrote: »
    Feeling like an emotional wreck today.... had such a bad day in work (wont go into too much detail but ended up crying in the toilets to my boss - not a great thing to do but really couldnt help it).

I feel like im struggling to keep my head above water at the moment - there's quite a lot of stuff going on with work but to be quite honest, I just dont think all this stuff going on outside of work is helping matters!

Since all the excitment of a few weeks ago and the fact that nothing has happened since, I've been on a total low. Even the day when it all seemed like we were going to plan the new york stuff has been forgotten about and I just feel miserable. Now I just think it was the beer talking that made him discuss it...

People keep joking with me about tomorrow and I am just so not in the mood for it!! OH knows I wont ask and knows that he is not allowed to ask me tomorrow but even he keeps winding me up about it. I'm actually working really late tomorrow which hopefully means I can avoid being wound up by him even more. Roll on 1st March!!

I think whats getting to me is the fact that this Friday we are going to see some friends - they have been together for the same length of time as us (although are a few years younger) but I've just got this weird sense that they are going to announce something.
    It's weird but the next few weeks are absolutely choc a block with seeing friends who we've not seen for AGES (6-12 months) plus we have OH's family coming to stay in 4 weeks.
    Every single one of them will ask 'so what's new' and I dont think I can bring myself to say 'nothing' without crying.or getting angry..

Every time we see our friends they always seem to have something exciting to tell us and I know its selfish and a bit like wanting to be the centre of attention (which is not like me at all) but I just want to flash a nice shiny ring and say well actually THIS is new and I'm mega happy about it!!! :D

Thing is because of our work and all these occasions with friends and family etc there's actually no time for just us to do anything special so I dont think it will happen for another couple of months. Knowing that he wants to make it a bit special I just cant think of any time that he will be able to manage it.

I wish I could say I feel like I'm in limbo at the moment but I actually feel like im in hell!! It's affecting so much of my life and I know I shouldnt let it but it's just there all the time taunting me and I dont know how much longer I can cope without going absolutely crazy :eek:

*hugs*

I understand completely and it's almost harder than it was before :(. I've now had 8 weeks of feeling like this and I really am getting to snapping point, especially as he keeps asking what I want for my birthday!??!!?

Spero Meliora
  • wanchai_2
    wanchai_2 Posts: 2,955 Forumite
    Options
    Any proposals to report yet? xxx
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure