PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had a minor disaster! I decided to narrow the legs on a pair of navy trousers I made last year and always felt like a bit of a clown in. Just too wide all the way down. That's worked ok actually but when I was trying them on the zip got well and truly stuck- closed! It was always a bit dodgy if I'm honest. I could not get the trousers offf me so I had to take my little seam ripper and cut myself out of them and then replace the zip!
    But it a weird way it was fun.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Love it artytarty!

I'm afraid my sewing machine hasn't seen the light of day since I moved house and cant get it out now as having major works done but I am hand sewing DD a viking outfit out of 2 pillow cases. An interesting job, no, but it's nice to be able to have a project again.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry Kittie, been away and busy and not on the forum.
    The Harrison is great, not sure why I made it though, I hardly ever wear woven fabrics!
    Re Babylock. I sent mine with Hermes, not a problem, they take things heavier than that! I think the company sent it back with Parcel Force though. They must have preferential rates for an account holder, as it cost them a lot less.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am going to have a bash at shortening a bra band this afternoon, not the easy way by doubling fabric. I have some beautiful empriente bras, cost a lot and I want to keep, hardly or never worn. I am going to first tack a set length in a fold on each side and I will wear it, to check that it is right. Measuring properly is key and so is being accurate

I will wear it all afternoon and if it feels comfy and if the band no longer rides up, then I will undo stitching and even shoulder straps and re-cut to fit the hooks and eyes and perhaps re-position the shoulder straps. It is going to take time to do this properly but I am sure it will work. Watch this space

Ahh fuddle, making outfits for children, that brings back memories. It was always christmas, the busiest time of the year, when they needed shepherds and angels
  • Artytarty
    Options
    How did the bra alterations go Kittie?
    Today I made a double oven glove for my daughter, I bought some heat reflective fabric for the inner layer and a lovely navy cotton print with lemons on it or the outer layer.
    I really struggled with the bias bi ding edging though and had to resort to a bit of zigzag to fill in a few misses.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely love the Harrison shirt I made. Next time I will shorten the sleeves a bit, but it is in a lovely purple that my mother used to call 'my colour'. She taught me to sew and I hear her voice when I make things (in my head, I mean, as she's been dead 10 years!)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been too busy arty, not even done the rough sewing of the band. Still, I realised that I could do it and they are staying put, in my drawer

Nice to hear that jackyann, it is going to be a must-do sew for me but not at the moment. I have too much to do here, the allotment etc. I have to pace myself. Would it be good in silk? I have a length of beautiful deep rich turquoise silk, it was destined for a nightie but tbh I have enough nighties or maybe a cotton or a viscose mix as there are buttonholes. I think I will do a prelim sew of harrison first, in an easier fabric
  • Artytarty
    edited 29 April 2017 at 10:24AM
    Options
    *goes off to Google Harrison shirt...*
    And very nice it is too!
    I'm busty as well oddly enough and rarely if ever wear button up shirts.
    I like the pattern a lot but it looks quite tricky for me and I'm rather more of a make in a day type! I tend to make batwing style drapery tops and short tunic things.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I think that the Harrison shirt would be gorgeous in silk. As for tricky: I would say that it is not difficult, but a bit time-consuming. The princess line works beautifully.
    The sleeves have proper cuffs and plackets, which can be fiddly. I thought I might make a summer one with short sleeves.

If I was using an expensive fabric then I would definitely make a toile. I broke my usual rules, and didn't, as the fabric was inexpensive (though lovely!) and I wanted to get on with it. I was delighted that it worked so well!
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    I've got 2 boxes of fabric ... some i've bought recently - mainly cotton prints, polycottons, gingham and fleece as all I generally seem to make are fleece/cotton 'baby' blankets and drawstring or mini tote bags! ( and the occasional costume )

some have fabrics I bought in the past - about 20-25 yrs ago when I used to make my own dresses

and then ... I have fabrics that my mother bought 45-50 yrs ago! I can't bring myself to 'just' use them for anything, but I've ever thought of anything that suits them!

I have a baby blanket to make - bought some gorgeous rainbow/dot fleece. Think that's my jobs for tomorrow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback