The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,544 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lovely Easter weekend fairly expensive but lovely golf and chilling plus lots of naughty food really need to get back in the gym.

Off to Denmark today flight not until 6pm so time to pack and get last few things need two outfits funeral and confirmation but got everything so no problem. Can't find my peals they were my grandmothers so sad but might be a slim chance they are in Denmark. I do hope so.

Week 5 of my openlearn course I'm a bit ahead and will do some now so that leave less to do while away. It's quite complex but really interesting not sure I've got everything though but it's a kind of overview to everything.

Still not heard a thing from any of the jobs I went for its four in total one hasn't closed yet, the MSE I don't think so as they changed it but the two maternity covers I would hope I hear from one at least.

When I get back I'm going to get into a routine with gym and then obviously do some more job hunting. I might join the golf club and spend some time doing that or I could do some volunteering. Hopefully my old work sends out the P45 and P60 as I really don't want to chase them. It's been a month and they still haven't done it I think that's crap.

I think that's it best get on with some study before I get up.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:25AM
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Hopefully my old work sends out the P45 and P60 as I really don't want to chase them. It's been a month and they still haven't done it I think that's crap.

I think that's it best get on with some study before I get up.

You won't get a P60 if you left before 6/4/17. You just need the figures on your P45 as that will show what you earned up to the day you left (unless they paid you after issuing your P45). I don't know why they are delaying sending your P45, they should be able to do it after your last pay day.

I hope the funeral goes as well as it can and that you hear from your job applications soon.
  • TallGirl
    Ok thanks I though that was the reason they were delaying sending it. Strange indeed will chase when I get back I'm also still in touch with a woman I knew before I started.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Funeral went well about 40 people the home was lovely on the day a lot of his friends came and they said such lovely things about him. He was there for over 50 years so well known. Emptied out his place afterwards my sister and I didn't fight over anything. Loads of furniture I would have liked but not possible to transport and not antique so not worth it. Chose some paintings and a few other bits which I can bring back bit by bit. My dad fitted his clothes so that was quite handy as he looks a bit of a mess at time and we always bought my uncle clothes so he had loads.

Inheritance will be sorted out by mum signed my paperwork. Not sure how much it will be he left £10k to the home and the tax here is penal. I want to use some of the money to keep the family plot at the graveyard my gran is buried at. My mum will most likely be there too hopefully not for many years.

Off to pick friend of at the airport in 1/2 hour look forward to seeing her and we will then head off to my sisters. Lots of work to do over there so she's looking forward to the help. Sunday is the confirmation so it's all go now but I've written my speech and got the card so all done.

Mum is back now better end here, No calls re interviews I must have messed up the applications time for a rethink when I get back .

I'm just packed and ready
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    edited 26 April 2017 at 8:48AM
    Wow been a while but had a lovely week in Denmark really good to see the family and be there to help out both with the funeral but also the confirmation preparations.

Funeral went well the home brought his friends and careers and we were about 40. Emptied his flat out and I got a few bits mainly that had been my grans which was nice. That was the Wednesday and then the Friday my friend came over and we went to my sisters. Lots of prep to do as she was having 70 people for a sit down dinner in her house. 20 were children but even so meant all her furntinture from the lounge had to be moved out and lots of tables put up. It looked like a pop up restaurant in the end. Really lovely day the church service was beautiful and the speeches and songs amazing but most of all by nephew was lovely and so handsome. He's a brilliant kid so is my niece.

Back here DG was getting more and more agitated by having to share our living room so we suddenly hit on the idea of renting a second room as one of the guys are moving out 1/6. We pay 1 1/2 rent for this room so that would go down to 1 and it would be one for the other one. We pay £614 now in total and with doubling the space we will pay £896 (rent going up a bit on both rooms sadly) that's not bad for london and means we can easily have the odd overnight guest as I have a sofa bed we use for a sofa now. Guardian company has accepted so just hope he moves out so we can start arranging everything.

Anyway back to trip couple of days with my mum and then arrived back st midnight last night. Really enjoyed being there with the family and getting away from job hunting.

Today need more sleep and then unpack and washing. Will need to check when the two jobs I applied for ran out and see if there still a chance I might get an interview. If not start again obviously. Also need to catch up on investment course and I have the log ins for my professional conversion tests so need to start on them. Plenty too keep me busy plus need to get back to gym.

Big Lidl shop needed tonight as DG has run everything down really low. I've brought flour mix back so can make my own ryebread which will be fab. I think that's kind of it for now hope everyone is well.

Oh forgot to say my tenants are splitting up so leaving at the end of next month end of their initial six month. So crap I now have to pay all the fees again and might have a month without rent. Could really do without that right now. Agent is saying there aren't many properties around right now so fingers crossed and hopefully the house is still in pristine conditions as it was all done up fresh in October.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Quite a productive day started with gym for 10am class but doors has locked so staff couldn't get in so went shopping instead. Found the padlocks I wanted to chain my garden furniture for half price £5 nice study ones and all same key for three.

Got my free Waitrose coffee and essential then walked home as well saving bus fare.

Applied for two jobs with the same agency one really low pay but would get me in to a grant making organisation. It's temp full time and only open one week so fingers crossed I've got a chance. Second one closes today wasn't going to apply but then it's a grant maker and I realised I actually have the relevant experience plus it's quite low grade but up to £35k which I can live with. Less strategic and health related so good learning experience and maybe progression possible who knows.

Should hear within a week it says better than the others which I'm sure I'm not going forward on one is definitely out and the MSE one changed.

Got wifi booster set up well DG did so nice fast internet now. So freezing cold or I would have done some gardening. Didn't get a chance to do my course which is a shame as I'm behind.

Doctors tomorrow for health check hope they will refer me for new insoles. I think that's it roll on tomorrow.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Why do you need insoles, if you don't mind me asking?
  • TallGirl
    edited 28 April 2017 at 12:39PM
    SuzieSue thanks for popping in I have really flat feet and one leg is longer than the other so I have worn them since I was a kid always specially fitted. My current pair are worn out and my foot is starting to hurt if I walk long distances.

Today has to be productive seen another job to apply for it's a step below what I should aim for and salery not good but I know I would enjoy it. I do have all the relevant experience if a little dated some of it. Closes 11/5 so plenty of time.

I must get on with the study the Open uni stuff is a week behind and ends Sunday but that's ok and I must start on the other one which is my professional qualification but I might need a handbook for this. Need to check it out.

Got yesterday guardian company wants to send out contracts for us to rent second room so it's all official just need a moving in date.

Got that health check at 11 today to time for a list as later on were off to the gym then dinner then golf should be the plan.

Treat jobs
    Open Uni complete week five start on six if time
    Pot up some courgette seeds
    Make rye read

Boring jobs
    Re do CV in new smarter format
    Print out stuff for job ending 11/5 it's competency based

I thInk I need to break it down so all gets done and I don't spend too long on the treat jobs. Mix it up would be good. Still in bed so firstly Open Uni course I'm thinking

Will update later.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Health check fine 1% chance of getting a heart attack, diabetes or stroke and bloods etc all fine. Had to book app for insoles will be Weds so that's done.

Bread waiting to go into oven (can't spell proper word) and I've completed week 5 passed 100% on test just last week to do.

Will go down and do new cv format now and then the courgettes later obviously bake my bread too.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    So I did make the bread and completed week five only last one to do. I didn't get courgettes done.

Printed stuff I needed out but didn't read it, didn't look at CV but did one study on accreditation and passed one of five but failed one. Only get two tries so really annoyed. Should have paid better attention but I've now bought a reference book so that will help for the rest.

Went to gym with DG got Tesco order done for Saturday for next weeks lunches (should have been Monday but money off voucher would have run out otherwise. Eight quid was worth it it can if I cost me four for delivery. Really tired now was going to golf but didn't happen will tomorrow and rest of theweekend.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure