Power of Attorney and running bank accounts

Options
Hello I am in the process of registering mums LPA documents at her banks.
She has 4 Attorneys, myself and 3 siblings.

At the moment I'm the only one that's registering at the banks as I have the documents and we all live miles appart.

I want to register mums accounts for online banking...

now, do I set up a completely new email account for mum before registering?
Do I have the bank statements in Email form so that these could also be forwarded to my siblings?

Do you have any advice and hints to offer so that we can avoid any pitfalls or falling out?

thanks

sparkie

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A separate email account might not be a bad idea to keep all the banking stuff together and away from other emails.

As to whether you'll have statements that can be emailed that really depends on the bank. Most don't email a statement, but many will allow you to download a copy in PDF format from online banking which you could send on to the other attorneys. If you tell us which bank it is it's likely that someone here will bank with them already and can give you the answer.
  • sparkiemalarkie
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »

As to whether you'll have statements that can be emailed that really depends on the bank.

Yep, thanks... now you have said this I realise that your right. I get email notifications to say that the statement is ready...

Mum banks with
    Nationwide, Santander and Barclays

sparkie
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nationwide definitely provides statements in PDF format that you can save to your own computer. I don't have bank accounts with the other two but it's pretty likely that they'll do it too.
  • skid112
    skid112 Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Santander also provide in PDF format
    Save 12k in 2020 #19 £12,429.06/£14,000
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could be causing yourself grief and aggravation.
    Why do you feel it is necessary to copy of her bank statements every month to a.n.other PoAs? I would only provide copies on request.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • sparkiemalarkie
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    You could be causing yourself grief and aggravation.
    Why do you feel it is necessary to copy of her bank statements every month to a.n.other PoAs? I would only provide copies on request.

I'm not sure the best way to operate the accounts so I'm just exploring ideas at the moment.

Thanks for your thoughts I really don't need any more grief or stress at the moment......

I'm trying to find a convenient solution so to avoid any stress/grief further along the road. Your thoughts/suggestions would be really valuble.

sparkie
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have POA for my mother and hold a debit card for her current account. Whenever I use it for her I always record the transaction on a spreadsheet and keep a scan of the receipt. I then give her the receipt.

I can see her current account when I log into mine with the same bank.

There's no other attorneys on the POA but I'd rather make sure I keep accurate records for both our sakes. It's a big responsibility!
  • sparkiemalarkie
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    It's a big responsibility!

Exactly!

sparkie
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm trying to find a convenient solution so to avoid any stress/grief further along the road. Your thoughts/suggestions would be really valuble.
    sparkie
    Brother and I both hold PoA for mother. I am happy to let him control her finances. :beer:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2 years ago Nationwide did not allow online access to accounts for POA. They may have changed siince then of course. Barclays did allow it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure