coach holiday's

I'm asking on behalf of my elderly parents who have been recommended a coach holiday company called Alfa Travel.
I have never heard of them and having found a few reviews online which are not great and I'm not keen on them paying over £400 each for something that may not be the greatest experience.
Just wondered if anyone had ever used this company?
SPC 037

Comments

• artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    never heard of them sorry...

my parents use Shearings and love them - they look out for the reductions and special offers and go away with them all the time.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    artichoke wrote: »
    My parents use Shearings and love them - they look out for the reductions and special offers and go away with them all the time.

Me and the cook are big Shearings fans too.

The out-of-season 5 day/4night UK mid-week breaks are excellent vfm, albeit you do get some people who expect 5* at budget prices, a few who only like to let others know how many tablets they take and for what, and occasionally an odd-ball or two.:)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Alfa Travel is pretty well known to be honest and certainly on a par with Shearing . Have a look at their website.
    Ive had some crappy holidays with Shearings And National .

The worst part of shearings is that you get a feeder coach to Normanton and then sit there ror 2 hours waiting for all the feeder coaches coming in, and then all the luggage change over. Same on the way back.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • kitty1941
    kitty1941 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have done a few coaching holidays with Lochs and Glens to Scotland. It is a family run business and they own all the coaches and hotels. There is no feeder coach - once you are on the coach you dont see your luggage until you get to your rooms. Hope this is of some use
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    Alfa Travel is pretty well known to be honest and certainly on a par with Shearing . Have a look at their website.
    Ive had some crappy holidays with Shearings And National .

The worst part of shearings is that you get a feeder coach to Normanton and then sit there ror 2 hours waiting for all the feeder coaches coming in, and then all the luggage change over. Same on the way back.

The feeder coach Interchange can be a pain, but they are what they are. Coaches are usually late due to an accident enroute, and so the delay is unavoidable.....just like delays on any transport.

Never had a crappy holiday with Shearings.....one or 2 interesting ones I'll admit. Been with them to Whitby, Scarborough, Morecambe, Ilfracombe, Torquay, Tenby, St Mawes, Lynton. Llandudno, Isle of Man.....some of them more than once. Great way to see a bit of UK without driving yourself.

The drivers are usually excellent with a wealth of local knowledge, a few think that they are better than they are, but that's life.

I'm glad we don't have to go all that war North to the Normanton Interchange.....London Gateway [M1], or Membury [M4] for us.:)
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    I've been on a few coach holidays in the past - none with Alfa though. We mainly went with two local companies, one which was the coach that everyone else fed onto, and the other that had just the one pick up. Both were decent companies, reasonably priced, and enjoyable holidays.

We did have one holiday with National. I specifically asked about toilets on the coach (travelling with three children). I was told that they did have a toilet, which was true for the first coach. However, we then had to transfer to another coach for the bulk of the journey, and there was no toilet.

So my advice would be to look at local firms (some will offer door-to-door pick up/drop off for little or no extra). Ask for recommendations. Ask if you will feed onto another coach. Ask if there will be a toilet on all coaches that you travel on.

Hope your parents enjoy their holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport