Halifax mortgage statement

Bought my current property in early 2015. Ever since then Halifax have been sending mortgage statements, addressed to the previous owner, to my address.

I've sent back three of these marked return to sender to Halifax, but still they keep sending them.

The latest one shows that there is a small mortgage balance of about £1k outstanding.

I've called them this morning to be told to keep sending the letters back or to go and take time off work to find a Halifax branch to get them to sort it out

Leaving aside the fraud risk and confidentiality risk on this, I am not a mail redirect service for the bank

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    caronoel wrote: »
    Bought my current property in early 2015. Ever since then Halifax have been sending mortgage statements, addressed to the previous owner, to my address.

I've sent back three of these marked return to sender to Halifax, but still they keep sending them.

The latest one shows that there is a small mortgage balance of about £1k outstanding.

I've called them this morning to be told to keep sending the letters back or to go and take time off work to find a Halifax branch to get them to sort it out

Leaving aside the fraud risk and confidentiality risk on this, I am not a mail redirect service for the bank

Just bin them.
  • caronoel
    caronoel Posts: 908 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Tempted to publish the details online - that should get Halifax's attention.
  • marliepanda
    caronoel wrote: »
    Tempted to publish the details online - that should get Halifax's attention.

That's ridiculous.

You're saying you're concerned about confidentiality and fraud, yet you threaten that?

The person hasn't bothered to update their contact address. Halifax can't update it on the say so of a random person (you) it's not your problem, but it's not Halifax's either. They can show that they sent statements to the registered address of their debtor.

Can you imagine if they changed it based on your say? Then when the debt maybe got took to court the debtor would say, 'well I don't know why you listened to Caronoel about where I lived' and it's get thrown out.

Just bin them
  • Surely the main concern should be that there still appears to be a mortgage outstanding on the OP's property in someone elses name? Its probably worth going back to the solicitor that did your conveyancing in order to clear everything up?
  • marliepanda
    Surely the main concern should be that there still appears to be a mortgage outstanding on the OP's property in someone elses name? Its probably worth going back to the solicitor that did your conveyancing in order to clear everything up?

This post is also on the mortgage board and OP says her solicitor says it's nothing to worry about
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5639654
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport