47 days wait for a parcel ordered from the UK too India from Chain Reaction Cycles.

Good Morning
I am a UK citizen, currently in India on a tourist visa waiting for a delivery from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK.
So far I have waited 47 days for this parcel of essential cycle parts I cannot source in India.
A huge part of the delay (about 25 days) was because Chain Reaction could not contact me by phone (old number on there system) and did not email me with a question and cancelled my order after it had arrived in India.
The parcel has since be re-sent but still has not arrived.
I have emailed Chain Reaction Cycles/DHL GB & DHL India in excess of 50 times and neither party replies with anything other than "We are investigating your complaint".

I am on a world cycle tour and will be leaving India in about 40 days.

If the parcel has still not arrived can I expect the sender too re-route my parcel too a destination in another country at there cost?

These are bicycle parts that I can only source outside of Asia.

I have been offered a refund but that's not going too help me and I would like too know if Chain reaction should be legally obliged too firstly investigate why my parcel has not arrived and if they are also legally obliged to make sure my parcel arrives.

All the best
Jason Kind

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The only thing they are legally obliged to do is put you back in the position you were in prior to the contract, ie, refund you. I wouldn't have thought that delivery outside the UK was a normal part of their business and particularly to India which would account for the exceptional problems you're having, a lot of which wasn't really their fault.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A huge part of the delay (about 25 days) was because Chain Reaction could not contact me by phone (old number on there system) and did not email me with a question and cancelled my order after it had arrived in India.

I presume you left the old phone number on their system, so you need to accept at least some of the blame for this.
    I have emailed Chain Reaction Cycles/DHL GB & DHL India in excess of 50 times and neither party replies with anything other than "We are investigating your complaint".

More than once a day? If I got emails from you that often I'd stop bothering to reply too.
    If the parcel has still not arrived can I expect the sender too re-route my parcel too a destination in another country at there cost?

No, absolutely not. You're entitled to a refund, and nothing more.
    I have been offered a refund but that's not going too help me and I would like too know if Chain reaction should be legally obliged too firstly investigate why my parcel has not arrived and if they are also legally obliged to make sure my parcel arrives.

No they aren't. They don't exist to help you. They exist to make a profit by selling products. At the moment (for whatever reason) it sounds like you as a customer are more trouble than any potential profit would justify.

If the parts are so vital you could arrange your own courier from an alternative supplier, or get a friend/family member in the UK to ship them out to you.
  • My experience of customs in India is that it can take an incredibly long time for anything to pass through, especially without the right assistance.

"If the parcel has still not arrived can I expect the sender too re-route my parcel too a destination in another country at there cost?"

Do you really need to ask that question? You are expecting a courier service to continually play catch up with you whilst you are on a world cycle tour? That's what support vehicles are for.
  • Talldog1969
    Talldog1969 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 20 March 2017 at 3:19PM
    Replying too Neil MCL

Thanks for you reply and time spent but its hard facts I need. Despite the fact I am having a few issues with Chain Reaction Cycles at the moment, they are generally a great company to do business with and it'll be the second time I have had stuff delivered overseas (first time no problem) plus the fact that if you Google CRC you'll see this appear Welcome to Chain Reaction Cycles - The Worlds Largest Online Bike Store. FREE Worldwide Delivery Available and The Lowest Prices Online on The Top Cycling Brands I would say that's pretty clear.
    As for your statement about what they are legally obliged to do?
    If something you’ve ordered hasn't arrived, you should contact the seller to find out where it is.
    It’s the seller’s legal responsibility to make sure the item is delivered to you. They should chase the delivery company and let you know what’s happened to your item.
    If your item wasn't delivered to the location you agreed (eg it was left with your neighbour without your consent), it's the seller's legal responsibility to sort out the issue.!
    If the item doesn't turn up, you’re legally entitled to a replacement or refund.

I got this from the Citizens advise website and that would seem too contradict your statement?

It sure is confusing stuff??!!

Anyway, thanks again for replying too my first dive into Forum's.

Jasp
  • Talldog1969
    Talldog1969 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 20 March 2017 at 4:55PM
    Reply too Cardinal Wolsey

Not sure who's see's what on these replies, I'm new to Forums, if others can see previous replies from me apologies for the repetition.

Thanks for taking the time too reply.

This statement is from the Citizens advise website about parcels that did not arrive says this.

If something you’ve ordered hasn't arrived, you should contact the seller to find out where it is.
    It’s the seller’s legal responsibility to make sure the item is delivered to you. They should chase the delivery company and let you know what’s happened to your item.
    If your item wasn't delivered to the location you agreed (eg it was left with your neighbour without your consent), it's the seller's legal responsibility to sort out the issue.!
    If the item doesn't turn up, you’re legally entitled to a replacement or refund.

I wanted to put the Citizens advice link for the full detail from this statement here but because I am new I am not allowed.

I am sure I read somewhere and I am blowed if I can find it right now, which is why I posted, but I am sure these rules apply across too all parcels sent from the EU to wherever in the world, can I find it right now!! NOOO :) but the from this it looks like the laws on my side, i.e legally entitled too a replacement. Its the sellers legal responsibility to make sure the item is delivered to you.

If you know about the legalities regarding overseas delivery I would be interested too hear.

As for the support vehicle hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahah................. Nope just my legal rights when entering into a contract with someone to COURIER my goods and what are my rights and whose responsibility it is too put things right when they go very wrong when you have paid for goods and a service. Ideally I would like the parts so I can continue my ride around India but definitely no support!

As for customs, 2 of 3 parcels have arrived beautifully with no stress!
    Thanks for your reply its definitely got this old brain working again! :)
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Not sure who's see's what on these replies, I'm new to Forums, if others can see previous replies from me apologies for the repetition.

Thanks for taking the time too reply.

This statement is from the Citizens advise website about parcels that did not arrive says this.

I wanted to put the Citizens advice link for the full detail from this statement here but because I am new I am not allowed.

I am sure I read somewhere and I am blowed if I can find it right now, which is why I posted but I am sure these rules apply across too all parcels sent from the EU to wherever in the world, can I find it right now!! NOOO :) but the rest of it looks like the laws on my side, i.e legally entitled too a replacement. Its the sellers legal responsibility to make sure the item is delivered to you.

If you know about the legalities regarding overseas delivery I would be interested too hear.

Thanks for your reply :)

What you have posted there is exactly what everyone else has said....

They have to make sure the parcel arrives at the address that you asked it to be sent to in India. If they can't do that and it doesn't arrive then they have to refund you just like it says.

But there is nothing to say that they have to it to you personally if you travel somewhere else. All they have to do is legally deliver it to the address you gave them in India.

So considering they offer free worldwide delivery then if you get a refund you can order again and get it delivered to the next place that you are in.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Imagine a courier was legally obliged to deliver to someone personally (wherever they currently are in the world) rather than to a designated address...

The mind boggles at the sense of entitlement here... :)
    Sending 50 E-Mails over 25 days?
  • Here is an update.

My parcel finally arrived.

Its all I wanted.

Both CRC & DHL have offered compensation/refunds.

I didn't ask and I wouldn't have asked, all I wanted was my parcel.

What does this tell me?

Its a shame no-one could show me links or passages that explained my rights that all I wanted.
    BUT its been a real eye opener, Companies exist too make profit....? WOW what an insightful and revolutionary concept that I never understood before.

I have too admit I am a little angry that I will not getting a full support vehicle now....

"Sense of Entitlement" what a load of sarcastic garbage.

"Free Delivery" When did I mention that I got free delivery? Nowhere at ANYTIME!

If you knew what was in the emails and why they were being sent you might understand what was going on but unless my emails have been hacked you will not know!

I am happy that CRC & DHL got this sorted even after 66 days.

My advice too the assumers who answered this question "Assumption is the Mother of all "£$% ups"

Come and try the real world its an awesome place!

Thanks for taking the time too reply though.
  • You got the answer from other posters, and you followed that up by posting info which also made it clear what your rights are. I'm not sure why you are still confused.

Enjoy your trip. India is a marvellous country to explore.
  • "Free Delivery" When did I mention that I got free delivery? Nowhere at ANYTIME!
    Well, to be fair, you did post this:
    plus the fact that if you Google CRC you'll see this appear Welcome to Chain Reaction Cycles - The Worlds Largest Online Bike Store. FREE Worldwide Delivery Available and The Lowest Prices Online on The Top Cycling Brands I would say that's pretty clear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure