Front brake pad change

kfw_2
kfw_2 Posts: 54 Forumite
Hello

I will be changing my front brake pads soon and just wondering whether I need to take off the master cylinder reservoir cap?

My pads are about 80% worn and the metal indicator flap is almost touching the disc.

Fluid was changed by the main dealer last April so it won't need changing/flushing.

Should I check the reservoir level first and if the fluid is at the min level then it's ok to leave the cap on, as when winding the caliper piston back it will naturally raise the level back.

If the fluid level is any higher than min, would winding both calipers cause fluid to overflow. I have read horror stories of damaging the seals if I do not open the fluid cap or open the bleed nipples.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Comments

• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Yes take the cap off
  • Always take the cap off, if it overflows it overflows, you could always syphon it out and then replenish with new stuff after the job or catch the overflow with absorbent pads.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Take the cap off, stick a clean rag in the neck and it'll soak up any overspill.

Sheessh if you took the cap off and didn't need to, you just need to screw it back on.
  • Take the cap off but if you don't feel confident enough to mess with your brakes, get a local good decent garage to change them out for you.

If you have screw out self adjusting - wind back calipers, Theres always a risk of damaging the seals when you wind the piston back even with a rewind tool and an open filler cap it depends on how perished (if at all) the seals are.

The method your going with is called "gravity bleeding" theres tutorials all over Utube for this method.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There is a view that it is poor practice to push fluid backwards on an abs breaking system as it can push dirt back into the abs unit. I was taught to gently clamp the flexy pipe. Open the bleeder with a pipe on it into a jar and then wind the piston back in.this expels the old fluid in the piston out of the system. Once finished top the reservoir up to max with fresh fluid.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Caliper pistons hold about a couple of teaspoons full of brake fluid when not under pressure. Use that as a guide to see how much the fluid level will rise.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    angrycrow wrote: »
    There is a view that it is poor practice to push fluid backwards on an abs breaking system as it can push dirt back into the abs unit. I was taught to gently clamp the flexy pipe. Open the bleeder with a pipe on it into a jar and then wind the piston back in.this expels the old fluid in the piston out of the system. Once finished top the reservoir up to max with fresh fluid.

Yep that's best practice but to be sure you've not introduced air bubbles, you'd have to bleed the brakes through. I'd hazard a guess that less than 10% of garages would use that method.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure