The New Adventures of Fortune

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,826
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    We're not fans of beetroot but occasionally get it in our veg box, so will bookmark this as a good recipe for using it! Thanks Fortune!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,979
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Fortune, just found your new diary, I used to dip into your old one occasionally. De-lurking to say hello from Shropshire and send a big wave to you from that town mentioned by brizzle:D

We moved back "home" 5 years ago, having spent 30 years in beautiful coastal Dorset, I absolutely loved living there, but we are so happy and content here, I am one very lucky human bean. Good vibes for your sale and search for a new home, the gods were certainly smiling on us for our sale and our purchase, it all went so smoothly.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,018
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    themadvix wrote: »
    We're not fans of beetroot but occasionally get it in our veg box, so will bookmark this as a good recipe for using it! Thanks Fortune!

Hi madvix. There's a beetroot curry recipe on the BBCG00dF00d site too. It sounds gross but I really like it and it makes a good side dish to other currys.
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Hi Fortune, just found your new diary, I used to dip into your old one occasionally. De-lurking to say hello from Shropshire and send a big wave to you from that town mentioned by brizzle:D

We moved back "home" 5 years ago, having spent 30 years in beautiful coastal Dorset, I absolutely loved living there, but we are so happy and content here, I am one very lucky human bean. Good vibes for your sale and search for a new home, the gods were certainly smiling on us for our sale and our purchase, it all went so smoothly.

Another friend in Shropshire Maddie - how lovely. Everyone I speak to from the area adores living there so I'm feeling quite excited about becoming a Salopian :D

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Forumite
    Today I have been mainly pondering.

We had some news about two family members recently. One is facing a big health issue which came out of the blue and the other is in a very unhappy relationship where domestic violence is involved. I am so grateful for the wonderful life I have and who knows what's round the corner.

It's made me think that we shouldn't worry about buying a house at the top end of our budget. We're never going to commit to something we can't afford but this could be our chance to realise some life goals and it may never come along again. I'm going to grab the opportunity with both hands and if that means stretching a bit then so be it. I'll concentrate on being a MFW after the event :o

To this end I've:
    • completed the monthly money shuffle and transferred as much money as possible to savings
    • saved 50% off the cost of some anti-virus software which runs out soon
    • saved a few pounds on this week's grocery shopping
    • sold another FB item
    • all extra income diverted to savings
    • did all my pensions paperwork filing and reviewed what will be available to drawdown and when. I have one large defined benefit pension due and several smaller defined contribution pensions. The smaller ones would have a negligible impact on monthly income but, taken early as cash, could be used to reduce the mortgage and make more profitable interest savings :T

I am a great one for pondering but that doesn't get anything done does it :o so the kitchen clean I planned to do today will have to go on tomorrow's list... that list has been growing all week :o I have managed to get some washing done today though - Mr F was done to his last pair of pants this morning :eek:

Mr F is at HQ today and, I'm hoping, he might find out when his bonus will be paid. The first year he was there it was paid in March :D but the second year he didn't get it until May :p All the indications are that he will get it and in full so it's just a case of when.

No recipes today guys - we had leftover pancakes for breakfast this morning with banana, pecans and maple syrup :D and there's leftover Cauliflower & Bacon Pasta for supper. I'll use the cooking time saved to paint my nails - they still haven't recovered from disc-gate :rotfl:

Happy hump day!

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,826
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi Fortune,

Thanks for the tip on the beetroot curry too - I've seen that before, but wasn't sure what it would be like!

Did you know you can get anti-virus for free? Some of the free ones are Which recommended. You might have good reason for paying for it, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. I'll dig out the article if you're interested (£1 trial, with profit (£6.50) from going through £co :D ). I use AVG, DH uses Avast, both come out well.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Fortune_Smiles
    Forumite
    themadvix wrote: »
    Hi Fortune,

Thanks for the tip on the beetroot curry too - I've seen that before, but wasn't sure what it would be like!

Did you know you can get anti-virus for free? Some of the free ones are Which recommended. You might have good reason for paying for it, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. I'll dig out the article if you're interested (£1 trial, with profit (£6.50) from going through £co :D ). I use AVG, DH uses Avast, both come out well.

Thank Madvix - I'll be looking into that.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Forumite
    ... about the kitchen cleaning. I'll have to start soon or I'll lose the natural light and that makes it much harder to see the cobwebs :rotfl:

Things I've been doing instead of cleaning:
    • listed 2 more attic items on FB. One has sold already
    • filled a box with DVDs and CDs to go to Z1ff1t. They don't pay much but I'm not going to turn my nose up at a few more pennies
    • 3 FB sales collected - £20 received
    • ordered a few cosmetic things to brighten the place up for photos - costs are covered by FB sales so far.

Doesn't seem much written down :o Better get the duster out :rotfl:

It's writing club tonight so I want to be finished in good time.

Fortune x
  • unhappy_shopper
    unhappy_shopper Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Found your new diary, FS. Wishing you a speedy journey towards your mortgage-free dreams :-)
    Mortgage: @ Feb. 2007: £133,200; Apr. 2011: £24,373; May 2011: £175,999; Jun 2013: ~£97K; Mar. 2014 £392,212.73; Dec. 2015: £327,051.77; Mar. 2016: ~£480K; Mar. 2017 £444,445.74
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Forumite
    Found your new diary, FS. Wishing you a speedy journey towards your mortgage-free dreams :-)

Hi there US - thanks for dropping by and your kind words.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Forumite
    Well almost. I still have a few cobwebs to clear so will finish up today.

I was out all day yesterday on the course I booked with my Christmas vouchers. Good fun and very interesting and it leads to a qualification which might come in handy for future adventures. I wasn't sure about the arrangement for lunch and forgot to check beforehand so ended up paying for a very lacklustre and expensive meal :( Next time I'll make sure to take some sandwiches. I got a lift with the course tutor who is someone I know and lives quite close so saved a fortune in parking costs. I bought her a coffee to say thank you.

Someone should be coming to pick up an FB sale today (although she's been a bit flaky so I'm not holding my breath). I have another buyer lined up for that item is she fails to appear :) May have sold a further item too :T This year I've made about £250 from FB sales and a further £70 from Fleabay. I didn't think I had that much stuff left to sell. There still lots to be explored in the attic.

Today's small stones:
    • finish deep cleaning the kitchen
    • fill any small screw/picture hook holes in the walls
    • list some more items on FB
    • filing
    • general de-clutter (particularly Mr F's study)
    • an hour's course study.

There is a rather large ironing pile demanding my attention too.

It's all glamour and glitz here :rotfl:

Have a great weekend all

Fortune x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure