HSBC increasing charges, suggestions for an alternative?

Comments

• mf78
    mf78 Posts: 117 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2013 at 8:02PM
    Spoke to the local manager of Yorkshire Bank yesterday and they do a free switcher account - no charges for 18 months. She laughed and suggested I do what everyone else does - move every 18 months to somebody else :p Only issue was that I would need a letter from my accountant or solicitor to confirm my business trading name. As I no longer use an accountant and do it all myself, the cost of a solicitors letter may outweigh a good portion of the free 18 months.
  • zcacmxi
    zcacmxi Posts: 136 Forumite
    Excluding the 18 month initial free period that the big 4 banks all seem to offer, the monthly fees appear to be:

Lloyds £5.00
    Natwest £5.00
    Barclays £5.50

And now HSBC are introducing a £5.50 charge...

Doesn't seem right to me, they're all charging around the same amount and the amount chosen has nothing at all to do with the costs involved, as clearly they can all afford to do it for free for at least 18months, and in HSBC's case a lot longer prior to Sept.

They charge £5.50 because they all do and they can get away with it. Seems Metro Bank is the only way to go, especially if you're in London.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    zcacmxi wrote: »
    Excluding the 18 month initial free period that the big 4 banks all seem to offer, the monthly fees appear to be:

Lloyds £5.00
    Natwest £5.00
    Barclays £5.50

And now HSBC are introducing a £5.50 charge...

Doesn't seem right to me, they're all charging around the same amount and the amount chosen has nothing at all to do with the costs involved, as clearly they can all afford to do it for free for at least 18months, and in HSBC's case a lot longer prior to Sept.

They charge £5.50 because they all do and they can get away with it. Seems Metro Bank is the only way to go, especially if you're in London.

HSBC charge £5.00 per month today for their small business banking - this will also rise to £5.50 per month from September.

It's only the HSBC Business Direct account that was designed primarily for electronic transactions that had no monthly charge.

Some equivlients elsewhere include the RBS Business Banking Direct (that has no monthly fees at present) and Bank of Scotland Business Internet Banking which currently has no monthly fee, but a £5 monthly fee will be introduced next month.

Oddly, in HSBC renaming 'Business Direct' to 'Electronic Banking' to better reflect it's intended use, they are reducing fees for many non electronic transactions (but perhaps this is offset by the fact there are no free allowances per month, e.g. 5 transactions free)

I don't follow your suggestion that the monthly fee does not reflect the cost when all seem to be (or will soon be) about £5 per month. Perhaps you have some evidence to support that allegation?

But yes, the banks are commercial organisations, owned by their shareholders. Their aim is to provide financial returns for those shareholders (and many taxpayers are currently shareholders of some of the big banks).
    So yes they do charge what they can get away with subject to limitations set by their competitors. That's how business works; those of us in business realise that (hopefully).
  • Headly
    Headly Posts: 9 Forumite
    zcacmxi wrote: »
    ... the amount chosen has nothing at all to do with the costs involved ...

Exactly. And HSBC's letter of advice regarding the withdrawal of their free banking is quite patronising, stating:

"We are making changes which we believe will make our charges clearer and make it easier for you to manage your costs."

So paying fees is now easier to manage than not paying fees?

and

"We are removing the free monthly allowances which means you will only pay for what you use."

Huh?

They charge £5.50 because they all do and they can get away with it.
    That's the truth - it has less to do with the cost of the service they provide, especially when you consider they're sitting on our deposits and having free use of our money. But will they get away with it? There seems to be quite a reaction over this, with most folk talking about leaving. Whether that will have any influence remains to be seen, but it probably won't.

Seems Metro Bank is the only way to go, especially if you're in London.
    Or Cater Allen if you keep £5000 or more on deposit.
  • Wywth
    edited 3 July 2013 at 12:03PM
    Headly wrote: »
    Exactly. And HSBC's letter of advice regarding the withdrawal of their free banking is quite patronising, stating:

"We are making changes which we believe will make our charges clearer and make it easier for you to manage your costs."

So paying fees is now easier to manage than not paying fees?
    I'm not trying to defend the bank in any way (in fact I'm looking to ditch & switch myself) but after I read this, and thought about it, I think I understand where they are trying to come from.

At present, if you exceed the free allowances, you start getting hit with very high transaction charges. Now you know all chargeable transactions will be charged at the same, lower rate it will be easier to manage.

and

"We are removing the free monthly allowances which means you will only pay for what you use."

Huh?
    I think what they are getting at here is that once you exceed the small number of free transactions, you currently are hit with high transaction charges which presumably subsidise the free transactions yoou were given and those who don't pay any charges at all.

In future, you only pay the lower transaction charge that presumably more accurately reflects the cost involved. You will pay these on all chargeable transactions, but so will everyone else, so no subsidising the freebies currently on offer

HTH :)
    Or Cater Allen if you keep £5000 or more on deposit.
    That again comes out about the same monthly cost.
    £5k in a deposit account at say 1% is £50 a year - not much lower than the big banks charge will charge over the year in monthly fees.
  • darrinm81
    darrinm81 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spoke to RBS about their Business Banking Direct.

No account maintenance fee. Free internet banking. Includes free debit card. Credit card at £32 per annum.

You can apply online or by phone - takes approx 10 working days.

Unless I missed something this appears to be a free account that would suit most who don't need a dedicated Relationship Manager and can get by with Internet Banking.

http://www.business.rbs.co.uk/afb/public/rbs/
    Business Banking > Accounts > Current Accounts

I feel more comfortable with parking my money with a UK High Street brand.
  • mf78
    That account sounds like it would do me nicely, but alas theres no branch of RBS locally.
  • mf78
    Ah, just noticed its not designed for using the local branch anyway.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    darrinm81 wrote: »

No account maintenance fee. Free internet banking. Includes free debit card. Credit card at £32 per annum.

Unless I missed something this appears to be a free account that would suit most who don't need a dedicated Relationship Manager and can get by with Internet Banking.

This is the account I have. Somebody asked earlier about depositing cheques - they give you free envelopes to post cheques off in, so they are usually in your account within a couple of days.

Somebody mentioned icici, no way would I go there for business banking, got a personal account there and the website is soooo user-unfriendly, I'd rather pay for a business account than have their account free.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Wywth
    edited 3 July 2013 at 1:24PM
    darrinm81 wrote: »

Do you have a link to the place you can apply online please?

This was my original suggestion (post#3), but I can only see where to apply by phone ... and based on earlier post by one user, it didn't sound too promising, wanting 30-45mins just to send you an application form.
    http://www.business.rbs.co.uk/afb/public/rbs/!ut/p/c5/pZLJkqpKFEW_xQ-oIpMmgSEWjTSJNCkIE0NRUTpBKLqvf_renVgV18mDARGcWBk71z5UTD3eat9f0313vVX7gtpSMdqJgQ-B_sWCtasAoDu0wqwDk3Fp7jGP0A785ZHAKx0wCOji2uc8hGhfYaiQ2gJ252dDzYg34PjK6EC3M60N2yXJbIBIaE2_tqF7NFXfq-rvy8po9mUdN1HoXSPDyA9lk-Ta1Y-1L7-q49vj6xalqxWWE8xWcgskcrxuC33xX9I3WV6SbiAPdA5KS6wRRoP8exrw7-gV95P-dfr_oB_z9w2Fz07fZ3_O33X4wgsrXn3wlu_ZPDaUFf3-_KfZV96QxUdCyxWgoNO0Dil7dStPVETF_N9viSjyZ1emWp_z2ctmdyQzHuyDPmAln4gc4072BywnNMlUh2zgGmcYkAwzUBBhoLqKZCyLYT0sKIOKr4fyc0jKT_CJAEsjlmVoFjE0z1IhSaZRvuFBloi7ZVfLiM2qc17V6WUidaHJ6WhmwBJ6N8-6Y9VU67nfC_sQMam0DOlOPuJeOrmrpJjcIPmC3LIeDZ983JcfbovybccOE09nberEoL7Xzb3kRzy4augcg86Omn6Ep0JhU-6A9B1r0puISTjW-WiSifSmqR2indZebrVGOlQC53geO1f10sXivUKR_aUQDJDICoPJU2GB8T166LOxLePZlzcMPkTABtAmxLBA-0ehuRWlMPmhEHBI5CHNcRwv8ByEiAq96ClRH1Ql3F1Oml37H-vDt5zGmt6m_NXtOs-USoY46cPk5uJ2XDcnV9SfzuD6lR-lQSv3Qs7a3-dIZuUZWKmmIbWXgtrMDe8i8R6Ivd00ZnHFrgLpQ43apj0COGbbSimWG16NzOCG6mTad1tkRa6pwdXIiENY4uQEabm_XCYJbe-7NCBKO8H2XJgNc-kTerLF1hDKzU-hr5vLAvq30BGTTQvxAf-7k_bsOT7xdJypOskf_-el7me67BdVw823xkx1qSintfssry43j3ZNC3mKJ9hnm7tzvS0tFv8A4QIbjQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure