Need not Want.

Comments

• *hayley*
    *hayley* Posts: 53 Forumite
    I've been reading this thread a lot and was inspired. I went to town today but didn't buy a single thing for myself except car parking :)

I also bought cheaper scaled down birthday presents and a couple of baby gifts from the Pound Shop. Felt very liberating and I felt in control. Didn't come back feeling guilty :)
    Time for some debt busting in 2015 - Light Bulb Moment 4/4/15
    HSBC Credit Card - £900 :( HSBC Overdraft - £888.22 :( Natwest Credit Card - £1701.51 :( Nat West Overdraft - £1200 :(
    Trying again to get back on track....... Getting there slowly but steadily
    5 years of not buying clothes challenge - £0 :j
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 421
    Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    THings still going ok here.
    Only spend today was for my weekly spend on a newspaper for 90p.
    Have been sorting more items of clutter out this week & I think it has made me even more aware of all the surplus, useless stuff I have. Some is just rubbish that I have have kept but other bits are things I've paid good money for.
    Re-aranged my kitchen cupboards yesterday so I now know exactly what I have & what I don't. Previously I was buying things because I forgot I had them or couldn't find them in the clutter.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 12 January 2013 at 5:28PM
    £15 in cash in my purse taken out on the 3rd January is still there....

I caved in and bought the Filofax with vouchers I had been hoarding. I rationalised that with the finance pages, it was a necessary tool for 2013 budgeting and organisational efforts. I want to do more regular shopping lists and I have a couple of expensive projects to manage this year such as a new bedroom for the girls and another for the new arrival in just under 70 days :eek:. Given a book with everything in the same place, I can jot down prices and ideas from shops as I see them. I'm pretty much housebound at the moment with a few difficult last months to come, so I've taken the opportunity as a challenge to see if I can hold onto that £15 until payday.

All bills were (for the first time in a very long time) paid on the 1st of the month and an account that used to look very unhealthy is edging towards the black slowly but surely.

So far this month, we have accomplished the following :

1) Christmas without the credit cards at all. All food shopping, booze, presents were bought or made.
    2) Purchased a new car for our expanding needs (mine more than others, I cant get in and out of my little peugeot at the moment) but 3 seats across the back.
    3) Taxed the beast with savings money (emergency cash accrued due to an inadvertent error on my part...I accidentally set up two DDs to the account, 1 for £50 and one for £150).
    4) Taxed the little peugeot - £20 for 12 months (definate win). MOT came through with a need for new brakes, but knew that last year so budgeted and paid for.
    5) Selling old Niquitin patches (6 packets) so should raise around £40 this month.
    6) Paid all bills on the first of the month
    7) 2nd month living with the separate budget account which is proving to be a runaway success. Food and fuel all accounted for and separate from the bills account.
    8) Quidco gave me £7.50 so I'm impressed with that.
    9) Cancelled a vodaphone contract that has been costing £20 per month and annoying me since they werent actually providing a service at all in my area.
    10) Paid off a catalogue which was equally annoying at £50 a month.

Today is the 12th and it is 18 days to payday with no reason to spend anything until then.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Didn't exactly 'need' the few bargains I picked up in Wilko, but metallic foil down to 50p a roll for 4m - 4 rolls will last this year, if not next too. Also packs of 8 money wallets, down to 50p (normally get the 7 for £1 in Card Factory) so that's kids xmas money wallets sorted for the next two years (nieces and nephews not all my kids lol!)

I do 'need' some new cropped trousers for boot camp. Really like the Manuka yoga ones I currently have (from TKMaxx years ago) but they are getting a little worn to say the least. Considering some on fleabay that are apparently in 'excellent condition' rather than the new season ones that will be £30-odd. They seem to have a bit of velvet on them that I'm not keen on, but I'm not sure that really matters in the scheme of things?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• FireWyrm wrote: »
    Today is the 12th and it is 18 days to payday with no reason to spend anything until then.

:T That's a brilliant list!:D

I've unfortunately been a bit spendy in the last week :o - 1st time I've been able to get out the house for over 3 months :eek: and I've been stopping in places (like Al*di, Li*dl, Morrys when I was at Mum's) to get the odds & sods I like from them.

I usually transfer the set amount (£600) to my bills account on payday .... but I realised it was a bit silly as it then means my main account is OD until next payday :o - so, this month, I transferred £150 on payday to cover the start of the month d/debits and I've only just transferred the remaining £450 today (mortgage, CT come out next week).

I've also transferred £450 from my House & Car budgeting pot to my main account to reduce the level of the OD .... (it will be transferred back on payday before I do anything else - so I don't lose track of it!)

Hopefully doing both of these, will mean the interest will be less as I'll only be OD for 12 days instead of a full month and at a lot lower level!:)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    :T That's a brilliant list!:D

OK, Ive just done a car insurance comparison and guess what, my insurance just went from £45 a month to £18!!!!:T

YAY YAY YAY
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • FireWyrm wrote: »
    OK, Ive just done a car insurance comparison and guess what, my insurance just went from £45 a month to £18!!!!:T

YAY YAY YAY

Nice! Wish mine could be as cheap...

I went to town today, and spent a bit more than I meant. I bought things that I would have needed to buy at some point, though didn't necessarily need today (but it was on offer, so in the long run, it saved me money). I did buy a hoodie that wasn't a need, but is something I will get a lot of use out of.

Went to a zumbathon tonight, and treated myself to 2 raffle tickets, but won in the end, so between the free class and bottle of wine, I covered the expense of the evening.
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Sorry been missing in action - Following Ofsted I have had some other dramams to contend with. Mum got rushed to hospital, admitted and operated on, all recovering well. Then, while I was away, someone decided to kill their partner in our street !! We have come back to a crime scene.........

Petrol costs through the roof this month so far, and phone too (brother lives in States) Also had a takeaway while away and hospital parking charges. So eye off the ball hugely, but one of those things. Will need to travel again soon. Has highlighted to me that I need an emergency fund to deal with these things that 'crop up'

Have two extra days at work this week, which I hope I can do, but all dependant on if i need to go back to Mum's or not.

Need to re focus!!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Sazdaz
    Sazdaz Posts: 241
    First Post
    Forumite
    So funny today I was talking to my BF about things I had seen in shops etc and her words to me was "Are they a need or want." Well at least I know she is taking on board what I said to her the other day lol.
    APR NSD - 0/10
    Paid off in 2013 so far £125.00
    April Money made - £18.00
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Yikes 365Days - what an eventful time :eek: glad your mum is ok and recovering and the other sounds like something like brookside.

While I'm online, must confess to some joggers on Sat - not sure if that was a need or want given that I wear them about the house a lot, and my other pair are pretty worn and drying -[STRIKE] prod[/STRIKE] def could have bought a cheaper pair though :o

Also went out with my DM yesterday - new bag to confess, but the strap of my current one is tied on with string, although I do have some other bags I'm sure would be usable in reality...oh dear...:o:o Still, didn't buy the shoes I'm coverting today to preserve a NSD and think about whether I really do 'need' them.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family