Motorcycle Crash - Claim Advice

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
Last week I came off my motorcycle on the ice riding down my street, only going 15MPH on the corner.
The bike slid a little way but did bump in to a parked car with the driver in.
Only damage was a scratch about 6 inch long, will need a re-spray.
Nice chap we both agreed to skip insurance as he "has a mate" that can do it cheap.

First ever crash so not going through insurance has thrown up a question or 2 :)
  1. Is it wise to do it this way or should I go through insurance?
  2. Is there some sort of legal document I need to get him to sign in case he then decided to claim through my insurance as well?
  3. Is there a period of time for him to claim before his claim is invalid?
    (This happened a week ago I have heard nothing, tried to call him but no answer, left a message but no reply, he did seem eager to sort this out quickly.)
Thanks for any assistance anybody can give.
Martin.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You might find this more expensive than anticipated!

Do some dummy quotes online with and without this claim to see what difference it makes to your premium.

(If you let your insurer deal with this, then you won't have anything to pay for the repair. If it's cost effective you can always reimburse your insurer their outlay and get your NCD reinstated).

If your insurer deals with this, they will tie up the loose ends to prevent any further claims.

The other side have 6 years to make their claim for damage (3 years for an injury claim)
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Martin_R wrote: »
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
    Last week I came off my motorcycle on the ice riding down my street, only going 15MPH on the corner.
    The bike slid a little way but did bump in to a parked car with the driver in.
    Only damage was a scratch about 6 inch long, will need a re-spray.
    Nice chap we both agreed to skip insurance as he "has a mate" that can do it cheap.

First ever crash so not going through insurance has thrown up a question or 2 :)
    1. Is it wise to do it this way or should I go through insurance?
    2. Is there some sort of legal document I need to get him to sign in case he then decided to claim through my insurance as well?
    3. Is there a period of time for him to claim before his claim is invalid?
      (This happened a week ago I have heard nothing, tried to call him but no answer, left a message but no reply, he did seem eager to sort this out quickly.)
    Thanks for any assistance anybody can give.
    Martin.

You are still supposed to inform your insurance company.
    It is not really for you to assess that it is only a 6" scratch, to match the paint back,may require the whole side of the car to be resprayed (then it will be expensive) on the other hand a smart repair may be all that is required.
    Could be a hunch but perhaps the occupant was not themself insured?
    :o
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DUTR wrote: »
    ........Could be a hunch but perhaps the occupant was not themself insured? :o

The other driver being insured (or not) wouldn't make any difference, more likely is he doesn't fancy 5 years of non fault loadings & the associated hassle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure