PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How do I find out if I can connect to mains gas

I am buying a house with no mains gas, how do i find out whether i can connect to a supply in my area?

Comments

• adr0ck
    adr0ck Posts: 2,374
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    phone national grid 0845 605 6677
  • SquatNow
    SquatNow Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    Have the houses either side got mains gas? Often a good guide!

If they have then you should be able to, but if you have no exising pipes I doubt it would be cheap as they will have to run pipes from the road to your house... depending on how far from the road your house is.
    Bankruptcy isn't the worst that can happen to you. The worst that can happen is your forced to live the rest of your life in abject poverty trying to repay the debts.
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    its on the road. i will call them tomorrow
  • SquatNow
    SquatNow Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    its on the road. i will call them tomorrow

Has next door both side got gas?

Are you up a track or something?

If so, have ANY of the houses further up the track from you got gas?
    Bankruptcy isn't the worst that can happen to you. The worst that can happen is your forced to live the rest of your life in abject poverty trying to repay the debts.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Good morning: It depends on where you live in the UK... for example, Southern Gas covers down here in Kent and has an online facility to request a connection (as do others;)) http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/About/How+Gas+is+Delivered/distribution/

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Jjust had a quote for two new conections and to move one connection 3 feet with me fitting all the boxes and excavating to the boundary, admittedly one does have to go right across a road to the pavement on the other side.....£2176 +VAT
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ouch, are we going to welcome you to the oil heating club, or are you going to bite the pillow?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Ouch, are we going to welcome you to the oil heating club, or are you going to bite the pillow?

Oil heating?! I wouldn't recommend it - oil prices are going to skyrocket in the near future. I would look into renewables as a more cost effective long term option.

What are the existing heating arrangements?
    Happy to help with HIPs and EPCs
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Its a single house going to be split into three so will just have to bite the bullet and pay it.I reckon it will take two guys a day to do the lot plus an hour for two guys to come along and reinstate the road,plus the 10 mins the surveyor was there, probably about £200 in materials , by my reckoning thats about £1500 in administration.
  • When I moved to my last home I had gas fitted - eventually.

Before I made an offer I rang BG who advised that a new supply would cost £170. When I moved in, the quote was £1200!

I ordered my gas fire and new fireplace anyway then challenged the price. I offrered to ask my neighbours if they wanted gas and was told that this should mean a better deal. Some neighbours were interested and, after some chasing, Transco quoted me £179. I paid by return of mail.

My neighbours were less fortunate with only one getting a quote of £179. The others ranged from £2K to £3K! I have no idea how they put their quotes together :confused:

A few weeks later I arrived to do some more decorating (I was living in rented) to find holes everywhere. They brought the gas from another street and all for £179.

Result!

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure