PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Toilet Seat Hinges

Hello everyone,

Do you hace any tips for keeping toilet seat hinges clean & rust free. I'm presume i'm getting rusty hinges because my sons not aiming properly.

Cheers

Pattie

Comments

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    how about vaseline?then when you clean the loo you can just clean off with loo paper and reapply.
  • good question! the ones at my OH's place get very nasty whereas at mine there doesn't seem to be a problem!!
    :happyhear
  • I could do with some help on this too (2 sons:rolleyes: )
  • As a mother of three sons i have always used vaseline or wd40 and then reapplied after cleaning toilet. Never had a problem since.
    sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• Yes, I'm also the proud mother of two diabolical aimers!! I'm currently trying to tackle the rust problem with vast deposits of vinegar! Does anyone know if I'm doing the right thing? If nothing else, it will shift the limescale deposit I suppose!
  • My toilet hinges have just died and so the lid has fallen off!
  • Thanks for the replies,

I'm going to try the vaseline!
  • Hello!

Anyone know where you can get replacement hinges? My hinges go long before the wooden seat is past it. It seams a shame to dispose of the seat, for the sake of a couple of small bits of metal.

I'll try the vaseline next time.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They rust because they have iron in them and therefore will oxidise, they are in a damp environment: the bathroom, so it may not be your sons' bad aim;) They will even get wet if you run a bath or shower as the water will condense on them being cold metal.
    Get some that do not include iron, but bare in mind if you get brass ones you will get verdigris instead which is almost as bad as rust. I think mine must be stainless steel as theres no rust on them at all.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Try some clear nailvarnish after cleaning them thoroughly. That will stop the air getting to the metal and tarnishing.

As SS say's it's the damp atmosphere that contributes to the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure