5p off petrol for a £50 spend at Tesco

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
What's the deal?

Spend £50 in store at Tesco (not online) between now and 12 November (inclusive) and you'll get a voucher for 5p off fuel at Tesco service stations. As always there are restrictions on what you can spend your £50 to get your voucher (tobacco, lottery, baby products and petrol are excluded).

When do you have to use the vouchers by?

Once you've received a voucher it must be used within two weeks.

Don't assume this is still the best price for your fuel

While 5p off your fuel sounds good it's not necessarily the cheapest. To double check you're getting the best saving read my Petrol/Diesel Cost Cutting article first. If 5p off is then still good for you then go for it!

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• steady__eddie
    Options
    As I was performing a bodily function in Asda on Sunday (In the appointed area I might add), I happened to glance slightly upwards, and there in a little wooden frame was an advert for Asda credit cards. "Are there no lengths to which advertisers will go to get their message across ?" I thought to myself but closer inspection revealed that Asda will knock 5p/litre off fuel if it is purchased with one of their credit cards.
    I am not advocating that anyone should apply for yet another c.c. but I always pay mine off in full every month and Asda fuel is usually the cheapest in my area. I'm going to read the T + Cs, at my convenience !
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to rain on this parade but I have actually written to Tesco to complain about the reappearance of this deal. I don't want the deal takne away, I wouldn't be so mean, but I do think it should be tuned to so that it is available to EVERYBODY.
    This is what I have said to Tesco:

" Do you know how difficult it is for a single person, or someone on a reduced income to spend £50 in one transaction at the supermarket? Even at this time, with Christmas shopping to do, many people simply do not have the available finance to benefit from this “deal”.

Yet those who are shopping for larger families, or are better off, can benefit every time they shop.

I think this deal is elitist and discriminatory and it makes me mad that the supermarket that trades on “every little helps” is not helping the very people who may need it most.

It would make considerably more sense, and be a great deal more fair, if customers could save their till receipts (within a reasonable time frame) and claim their discounted fuel via customer services when they have reached a £50 spend. They way, we can all benefit."
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....:)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    I found one of the 5p off vouchers left at the self service till I used at the w/end, I happily pocketed it and will use it before the due date of 11/11/06.
  • reihtec
    reihtec Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I was disappointed that they don't offer this deal for online shopping as I usually do my monthly shop online. I usually spend over £50 online so I can use the tesco online vouchers that you can get by searching the web and in other parts of this forum.

So I decided to work out which gave me a better saving. I worked out that I need about 50 litres to fill up my tank. 50 litres x 0.05p = £2.50. That is half the amount I save from the £5 voucher or sometimes you get over 500 points vouchers. If you get it delivered on a tuesday, delivery is only £3.99. I could bump up my shop to £75 and get £7.50 off as well. Remember this is my month's shopping for a small family of 3. The advantages of online shopping is that I save fuel and time and it's easier to find deals online and it's more difficult to do impulsive shopping online. Oh! If you have the cashback card that you pay of every month then you save even more.

I hope this helps some of you.
  • yas247
    yas247 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Asda will knock 5p/litre off fuel if it is purchased with one of their credit cards.

LOL

Are you sure it's 5p as it used to be 2p, sadly no mention on Asda website.

thanks
  • yas247
    yas247 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco con;

You cant use it in Tesco express garages run by Esso (how mis-leading) you have to use it in a Tesco garage.
  • gunton10
    gunton10 Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    i got one looking to swap for something if its allowed on here pm me
    Quidco
    Paid;£989.08 :D
    Total Earnt:£1061.59
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    yas247 wrote:
    LOL

Are you sure it's 5p as it used to be 2p, sadly no mention on Asda website.

thanks

No it is 2p perlitre and also free delivery on shopping if use an asda card and can comibine with codes too (might need to be over £50 on card) but funny has vanished from the website too popular maybe!

Tesco is 5p off perlitre using the voucher
  • barrwalk
    Options
    TESCO Petrol discount
    My local TESCO have put up the price by 4p and then offered a 5p voucher. The real discount if therefore 1p. per litre. Who are they fooling?
  • Munki_2
    Munki_2 Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The fuel at my local Tescos was 83.9p/l, and after I used the 5p voucher it brings it down to 78.9p/l.... unbelievable! I haven't bought fuel that cheap for ages! :-))

I can't say I've noticed my Tescos (or any other petrol station in my area) put the fuel prices up unless it was related to fuel rises. There is a lot of competition between garages and they all keep a close eye on each other.

M.
    Nice to save.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family