Alternative to nhs pension?

Options

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AS long as you stick to funds over single shares, and go for a global fund over a UK specific Ftse fund, and have cash and other assets you should be fine.

But really there is no alternative to the NHS pension for you- but there are suppliments sch as Sipps/PPs that you can use to retire early, leaving your NHS pension until it pays out in full or at a reduction you can live with.
  • victordent
    Options
    thanks ...
    I had done well after investing with persimmon and thought that I am Warren Buffett...Reality struck soon. The NHS is on shaky ground as many hospitals are closing and there are lots of changes.So am a bit hesitant on putting more in the pension...
    will look into funds...anyone suggest a good reliable platform? I want to use someone else besides AJ bell as I have isa account with them and want to spread risks and HL too pricey...
    anyone can suggest any decent funds?
    Doc James
  • Docjames
    Docjames Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies. .used oh phone again. ..
    Doc Kylie James
  • Edale
    Edale Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As somebody mentioned, get a Total Reward Statement (google it). This will show you what you have accrued to date in both the 2008 and 2015 schemes and also give you an equivalent fund value that you would need to provide the benefits. I don't think you will cancel once you see this. My wife is a consultant, made (pre tax) payments of just under £12k last year which increased her pension by c£1700 per year. The total hypothetical annuity cost on the statement for 2 years of membership in the 2015 scheme is £150k, even if this is overegged a bit you would be foolish to give up the NHS pension.
  • louloubelle79
    Options
    Hi
    I am also in Nhs pension ( 2008 scheme 3 yrs) and with only couple years so far with (2015) as left to have kids. Due to small pot and low earnings as a part time nurse working 25 hrs my contribution is low so I have set up additional payments. This could be an option?

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/member-hub/increasing-your-pension

Additional Pension is a flexible way of increasing your NHS Pension.

You can choose to buy a set amount of annual pension, which you can pay for either with a lump sum payment or by regular contributions deducted from your pay, for an agreed period of time.

Additional Pension can be bought at any time during the year as either:

personal cover which increases your own pension benefits only; or
    dependants cover, which increases your own pension and the benefits that will be payable to your spouse, partner or dependant children after your death.
    Additional Pension does not include an automatic lump sum but you can include your Additional Pension in the total pension that is exchanged for lump sum.

Irrespective of your working pattern you will get the same amount of Additional Pension at retirement and the cost of purchasing Additional Pension is the same whether you work full time or part time.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    victordent wrote: »
    The NHS is on shaky ground as many hospitals are closing and there are lots of changes.So am a bit hesitant on putting more in the pension

Even if all NHS hospitals closed that would be irrelevant because NHS pensions are paid for out of general taxation - no individual NHS employer has its own pension liability with the scheme.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hyubh wrote: »
    Even if all NHS hospitals closed that would be irrelevant because NHS pensions are paid for out of general taxation - no individual NHS employer has its own pension liability with the scheme.

I think that OP was referring to a point she made in the original post of there being other pressures to consider such as staff shortages and investing outside the scheme could if of a sufficient level enable someone to leave the profession before the pension age.

There are many stresses in many jobs but I can see being any medical consultant let alone an A&E Consultant being very stressful along with your profession being a regular political target being blamed for NHS failings whilst making daily life and death decisions as possibly one of the most difficult. Even consultants are human!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would add - making these decisions when I imagine on many instamces you can do no right due to admin and financial constrains.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,378 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had shares in provident financial since 3 years. ..After the crash in the price, my confidence in investing has really slumped.

Having a single company share it not investing. It is speculating.

Risk is not on/off. It is a sliding scale. You effectively jumped in the deep end without being able to swim.
    what if I lose more money

You are a doctor in A&E. Over the years you have probably seen plenty of people suffer problems due to accidents through bad planning or poor knowledge or understanding. Well, your way of investing was like one of those people.

If you selected more conventional investment options, you would probably hold no more than 1% in any one company. So, if that company failed, the losses would be limited. When you hold a single company share and the company fails, you can lose the lot. From your medical knowledge, you should be able to understand risk assessment. So, apply your analytical way of thinking to how you invest.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    victordent wrote: »
    thanks ...
    I had done well after investing with persimmon and thought that I am Warren Buffett...Reality struck soon. The NHS is on shaky ground as many hospitals are closing and there are lots of changes.So am a bit hesitant on putting more in the pension...
    will look into funds...anyone suggest a good reliable platform? I want to use someone else besides AJ bell as I have isa account with them and want to spread risks and HL too pricey...
    anyone can suggest any decent funds?
    Doc James

Ah well, you can console yourself, with the knowledge that the persimmon management have at least done very well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure