Goodbye Mortgage - the beginning of the end!

Options

Comments

• shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm another one who can't see our mortgage online..:( that's why i keep my spreadsheet up to date then i can see at a moments notice how much we owe back.. (not that i check it all the time, cos that would be sad :whistle:)

Good luck on your journey, it's great that you've started OP'ing straight away, that pesky mortgage will be gone in no time :D
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• foxblade
    foxblade Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    How strange, are you with Barclays for your current account? We are with Barclays and moved our mortgage to Woolwich in August 2011 I can see the account online and just click a button that says overpay. Also it tells me how many years I have on the mortgage due to offsetting etc etc.

If you are with Barclays I would go and talk to them, because obviously it can been done and I agree it is very very handy!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, I spotted your link on peonie's diary and wanted to say best of luck!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • originalmiscellany
    Options
    Well said on identifying: "For every £1 borrowed you pay back £1.59' "

Just think that every £10 you pay back is effectively £5.90 saved over the life of the mortgage. That's a huge carrot isn't it!
    Feb 2012 - onwards MF achieved
    September 2016 - Back into clearing a mortgage - Was due to be paid off in 32 years in March 2047 -
    April 2018 down to 28.00 months vs 30.04 months at normal payment.
    Predicted mortgage clearing 03/2047 - now looking at 02/2045

Aims: 1) To pay off mortgage within 20 years - 2037
  • unhappy_shopper
    Options
    foxblade wrote: »
    How strange, are you with Barclays for your current account? We are with Barclays and moved our mortgage to Woolwich in August 2011 I can see the account online and just click a button that says overpay. Also it tells me how many years I have on the mortgage due to offsetting etc etc.

If you are with Barclays I would go and talk to them, because obviously it can been done and I agree it is very very handy!

I think only W00lwich offset mortgage holders can see the accounts on Barcl@ys online. I have a tracker but I cannot see the details on my Barcl@ys a/c :(
    Mortgage: @ Feb. 2007: £133,200; Apr. 2011: £24,373; May 2011: £175,999; Jun 2013: ~£97K; Mar. 2014 £392,212.73; Dec. 2015: £327,051.77; Mar. 2016: ~£480K; Mar. 2017 £444,445.74
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it's right about the offsets being the only ones we can view online. It's really annoying, but hopefully it won't make too much difference. It would just be nice being able to log in and see it going down!

I haven't got much to update on the MFW side of things, although it's been an expensive few days. I had to take the dog to the vets this morning as I spotted a lump between his pads last week. Although I've been bathing it in salt water it's not changed. They've prescribed him a weeks worth of antibiotics as they think there's something in there. If those don't work then he'll need to be sedated and have it lanced. They said it's likely he'll need that and I should claim on his insurance if he does, which I'm dreading as we've never claimed before so have been able to cancel our policy and take out a new one every year to keep getting the introductory discount. I also came out of the vets £65 lighter, he's worth every penny but it's still expensive for what it was!

I've got a couple of hours of paid training this afternoon for work, then about 11 days straight as I've taken on some extra shifts. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but it's worth it to eat away at that mortgage!
  • Peonie
    Peonie Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    Just think about the mortgage when you're at work.
    Pots: House £6966/£7100, Rainy day Complete, [STRIKE]Sunny day £0/£700[/STRIKE], IVF £2523/£2523, Car up-keep £135/£135, New car £5000/£5000, Holiday £1000/£1000, MFW #16 £2077/£3120
    MFiT3 #86: Reduce mortgage from £146,800 to £125,000
    Mortgage Sept 2014: £135,500, MF Oct 2035 Peak July 2011: £154,000, MF July 2036
  • Beckyy
    Options
    It does seem to help doesn't it!

Now, I wish I had a fantastic and productive report to make, but it's actually quite the opposite. At the end of last month I divided our money up, and put £600 into savings (split between Mortgage OPs/OH's New Car Fund/Savings) with the intentions of adding our leftovers at the end of the month. I've now had to take money back out, and have generally gone to pot a bit. I've gone over my £200 food budget by about £20 so far, and that's with sticking to my meal plans and buying cheaper things that I would have bought previously.

We're also having a bit of bother with British Gas not being able to register my Nectar Card due to some 'fault' on my nectar account and them 'working on it', which could take months apparently (while we're on expensive standard tariff, of course!). I was hoping to have it done so I could change tariff (or supplier), but I think I'll just have to do it and loose the potential nectar points as we had to submit our meter reading online and I was shocked at how much we had used. Our DD was estimated at £36.50. Turns out we used 787 units in our 2 months of living here, which I think is insane. They calculated our bill and we now owe them £32.94 extra meaning we're really spending about £52.97 per month. I'm trying to look at the tariffs and different suppliers on the comparison sites but everytime I do a comparison it throws up totally different results and I'm a bit confused if I'm honest.

So a big aim for me is to keep electricity consumption down and get my head around the crazy lists of suppliers/tariffs. We had a key card at our old house, and although it was expensive I'm embarassed to say I think the simplicity was almost worth the extra!

Today's meter reading is: 2261.7
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you checked out the guide to deciding on suppliers on the main board? It might help you get your head round it all.
    We all have times when we don't achieve what we want as MFW- the key is to keep going!
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Beckyy
    edited 20 July 2012 at 6:02PM
    Options
    I've just had a good read of that and of todays article on Scottish Power deals, and have run through each of the comparison sites. They all seem to say British Gas Online Variable August 2013 is the cheapest options for us. I'm not really a fan of locking into something, but it's only got a £30 cancellation fee if we ever did need to change. Plus, I'll get cashback for switching, a free energy monitor which I'm sure will keep me entertained, and the my nectar points if they ever get round to sorting out my card's 'fault'. Am going to go through confused.com and Quidco, as the other comparison sites couldn't give me the energysmart option online. I hope it goes smoothly!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure