Engagement Rings (merged)

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We were 18 when we got engaged.......so extravagance wasn't an option.........we opted for argos(a bit embarrassed to admit it) and chose a saphire and diamond (chip) ring which I loved. Mr PW always said he'd buy me a 'better one' when he'd made it.

I wore that ring proudly for 22 years.

On my fortieth birthday my darling of a husband took me shopping to buy a beautiful one carat solitare replacement costing slightly more than one month's salary. It's beautiful and I love it to bits, but still have a soft spot for the original cheapie.

If I was you bbhcmike I would take her with you, either at home or abroad.....make a special day of it, and make sure she gets what she wants.

Pink
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is a money saving site isn't it?

Have you got any dead grandmothers (I don't mean to be tasteless)? I gave my wife my grandmothers engagement ring (cleaned up and resized). I personally thought it was an excellent idea at the time - recycling, 'keeping it in the family', that sort of thing. A few years on I can see that she might have wanted her own ring, but what the heck - the wedding ring was new wasn't it?

thats a lovely idea. appreciate your not being tasteless, i wear my grans wedding ring, but will pass it on to my daughter, and hope she will do the same. :)
  • :D diamonds ;D

my ex had the most beautiful solitaire diamond set in platinum for me at hatton garden, london. cost £3000

would like to have been able to say i was worth it but we split up about 6 months later :o

as a rule one months wages i heard
  • This is a really tricky one, and I appreciate your dilemma as I'm wondering about popping the question myself!

I'd love to be able to propose with a ring, but ladies often have a very definite idea of what they do (or don't) like. (And at a certain stage of a relationship, there is NO subtle way of trying to find out what kind of ring they prefer!)

I'd love to get as big a diamond as I can afford, but without seeing it on her (rather delicate) hand, how will I know if it's going to look tacky?

Ladies, we need your opinions - surprise with a "best guess" ring, and go for a good size diamond but not OTT, or let her choose one and lose some of the romance?

Fellas - good luck, it seems there's no easy answer!

As for cost - I always heard one month's salary, but I figure that was a standard from when people were generally a lot more hard up and credit was not so readily available (or so expertly recommended!) - I've been saving for a while but would happily get into debt up to the 2 months' mark, as long as it doesn't come across too "bling bling". The other posters have it right - she will be looking at this every day for the rest of your lives together, you HAVE to make it good!

On a more practical point, I found this site

http://www.geraldonline.com

which seems to be fairly heftily discounted from high street prices, although I can't actually vouch for them, not having used them.

Best wishes for all the engagements and weddings everyone!
  • Dear Superstoater

I feel well qualified to reply as a lady who has been married twice (one divorce, one died ... current man very wary of marriage in case he is lined up for beheading a la Henry VIII)

My second engagement ring was bought when we were very hard up. We chose a lovely ring with a sapphire and two zircons. That's right, no diamonds, and not a high quality sapphire either. However, later, when we had more money, we had the stones changed for a better quality sapphire and diamonds instead of zircons. I still wear that ring and I love it.

So that's one money-saving thought, if money is a concern. Invest in the setting and then upgrade the stones later.

In my experience it's the stones that cost the money, so another alternative is to do as my sister's husband did and take a stone from an old family piece of jewellery and have it re-set into an engagement ring.

In reply to your 'go together or surprise her' question though, here are my thoughts.

When I was young and idealistic and I had never been engaged or married, it was much more important to me to be involved in the choosing of my engagement ring. I had a strong idea in my head about what I would like to look at for the rest of my life and I wouldn't have wanted my other half to go out choosing something alone in case he got it 'wrong'.

Now I'm rather more mature (37) and I've been through it a couple of times, I rather like the idea of wearing something that my darling man chose just for me, even if it's not EXACTLY what I'd have chosen.

As a guide, how does she buy clothes? Does she only ever buy things that are EXACTLY perfect and spend all day shopping for it? Or does she see things she likes and then create a look from the things in her wardrobe?

If she's a 'must be perfect' kind of girl, she'd probably want to be in on the purchase. If she 'just knows what she likes' then she'll fall in love with what you've chosen because it has 'My Man Loves Me and Wants To Marry Me' stamped all over it - and what girl can resist that?

Whatever you spend, make sure it's just 'a little more than you can afford'. I don't mean go into debt - just make it a stretch. She'll appreciate the gesture that you have made a sacrifice to afford it.

And good luck to all you lovebirds out there, whatever you do about the engagement ring!
  • KK
    KK Posts: 212 Forumite
    Call me horribly unromantic, but I couldn't bear to be surprised with an engagement ring - I'd HAVE to choose it myself. I chose my wedding ring and had it made by a designer, but didn't see it finished until the day my hubby put it on my finger, which was nice. How about buying a joke ring from a kid's shop and then saying you want to choose it together? 1-2 month's salary - is that gross or net? A 2 month gross salary would be fantastic - don't think my hubby would have ever spent that.

I chose not to have an engagement ring when we decided to get married because I thought it was naff, but as soon as I got a wedding ring I wanted one! I now have a diamond eternity ring, remade from stones from a family heirloom and a sapphire solitaire which my hubby bought when my daughter was born (I chose the settings for both rings). I still want a 1 carat approx diamond at some point (one day maybe).

My friend's hubby did an awful thing when he proposed. He dragged her up to the top of St Paul's Cathedral with her leg in a cast, proposed, went to the shop where he had chosen a ring, she liked it, he then went on to haggle the price down by £600 right in front of her - she said she was cringing. Gorgeous ring though!
  • Jaynne
    Jaynne Posts: 552 Forumite
    I've just spent 6 months at a diamond merchants updating their stock system so can perhaps give you a few hints as to how to get the best price.

Not that it will really shock anyone but diamond jewelly has a cost price of about 1/3rd of the retail price. Therefore there are big savings to be made if you hagle.

The sales people will be wanting to massage the most money out of you as is possible so my hint would be to go in and when they ask you what sort of price range you're looking at go a bit lower then look at some higher priced items (it helps if you have an idea what style you're looking for). Once you've found the ring you want say you'd really like it and that its perfect for your lady but that its a bit over your budget. The sales person should try and smooze you into buying it at this price (its a once in a lifetime thing, how much will the wedding cost, think of the look on your fiance's face, etc). Now you can start bargaining.

If you can pay it all right away you can easily get 10-20% of items maybe more if you're very charming. The more expensive the ring the greater margin the seller has so you have more leaway.

Hope this helps, I wish you lots of luck (I'm hoping to pop the question in a few months myself), fortunatly I know a few people in the trade now so should be able to get a decent discount
  • memark
    memark Posts: 29 Forumite
    I think, like everything else in life, it depends on what you want: do you go for an "off the shelf" or something a bit more special?

If it's something a bit more special, and you're prepared to pay for it (ie not Argos), read on...

Remember, as a starting point, there's the 4 "C"s when buying a diamond: colour, clarity, cut and carat. On each of these you should educate yourself what they mean and how they affect a diamond's price.

Colour: diamonds are graded from D (colourless, the best) down to Z. For the usual white diamond (as opposed to coloured, fancy), you don't really need anything at D, E or even F as the difference is imperceptible to the naked eye. So, start looking at an I - even a J - and work your way up to a G at the most. Anything better is just "gilding the lilly".

Clarity: another scale, going from Internally Flawless (IF), Very Very Slight 1 (VVS1), Very Very Slight 2 (VVS2), Very Slight 1 (VS1), Very Slight 2 (VVS2), Slight Inclusions 1 (SI1), Slight Inclusions 2 (SI2), Inclusions 1 (I1), Inclusions 2 (I2) etc. As with colour, you're going to end up paying a fantastic sum for anything that's at the top end of the scale and you really won't be able to tell the difference unless you get your microscope out. Advice is to start looking at SI2 and work your way up to a VS1, maybe a VVS2 at best if you think you can spot the difference, that is.

Carat: that one's again down to you. Remember the size of your fiancee's fingers, though. If she's petite, a 0.5 carat ring will look quite large; 0.75 carat definitely will. The ring will certainly look better if you follow the other tips here as it will "fire" (sparkle) more, making it a lot more noticeable. Also, ensure you get a complementary setting that shows off the finer qualities of your diamond, ie one that doesn't hide the stone and allows maximum light penetration (see below).

Cut: there's a wide range of cuts but the most popular is the round brilliant. Each one to their own on this one as to which cut you prefer but the quality of the cut greatly determines price. To explain, what's the point in getting your fiancee a beatiful diamond only for it to be let down by a shoddy cut? The research you've done in sourcing a VS1, G stone will be wasted because these aspects to the stone won't be allowed to shine through (remember, a diamond is just a prism after all and relies on light being allowed to pass through unhindered and without colouration it to give it its shining, dazzling qualities).

There are many other factors to consider if you're doing a proper job. For example, polish & symmetry.

One of the easiest ways to check out the permutations is to ensure you only buy a certificated diamond: GIA certificates are "best" (the most stringent).

You might also like to know of a trick that can save you thousands: you can end up with a ring that you would pay pretty much double for over here. What's more, you can choose to combine it with a holiday or from the comfort of your PC.

How? Import or get one on holiday from the States.

One of the biggest diamond centres of the world is in New York. A lot of the diamond merchants will happily find a diamond for you that conforms to all your desires, and more. The thing is, you buy a loose "stone" (they never call them diamonds) and then have it independently appraised, then mounted in a setting of your choice, then appraised again to ensure you're getting the same stone. The appraiser ships the stone directly to you or you can go over on holiday to pick it up.

It's all really easy and, with the fantastic exchange rate, you'll be getting a great deal in 2 ways: the DIY option means you save on the overinflated high street prices here and then there's that exchange rate that just can't be ignored.

If you go over to NY and pick up the ring, you'll even save on the VAT (but don't tell the taxman I said that) and delivery.

Watch out if you do import: there may well be an extra excise duty the EU imposed on US imports temporarily as part of the fight back on the squabble over US steel, if you remember your news from about 6 months ago.

I can recommend excellent people to speak to (and I hasten to add, I've no connection with them at all): to source a diamond (you can even do it online) try Martin from https://www.usacerteddiamonds.com. For an independent appraisal (costs about $75) of your stone, David Wolf of https://www.justappraisers.com. They will be able to guide you through what may appear to be a very daunting task but in reality is quite simple.

You will save a packet and, what's more, your fiancee will end up with a ring that will be the absolute envy of all her friends.
    Look into my eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes but in the eyes... :rolleyes:
  • I popped the question two years ago when on holiday I dragged her up a mountain (mainly to sop her running away quickly) but mainly so that I couldn't get interupted and to get the beautiful views.
    As the setting was perfect, I decided not to get a ring at that point and to wait until we chose the ring together. This was lucky as she had told me that she wanted a princess cut ring, but when she tried it on, she felt it did not suit her hand and chose a trilogy ring instead - about the same price. She also chose a bar setting rather than a clasp setting to hold the stones as she uses rubber gloves all day. She was worried that the stones might be knocked off or that the clasps would keep ripping the gloves.
    I spent about half my month's salary and my wife is still very happy with it. I heard that one person chose their ring before he proposed and the other half redid the ring as it didn't suit her hand.
    If you are the right person, she will be more than happy with whatever you choose...happiness is the main thing.
  • :D diamonds  ;D

my ex had the most beautiful solitaire diamond set in platinum for me at hatton garden, london. cost £3000

I recently bought an engagement ring having made much research beforehand. My advice is never buy anything from Hatton Garden, they are the biggest rip offs and rely on naive customers. For that matter all posh high street Jewellers would also be excluded.
    I ended up buying from an online store where they undercut the High Street by 40-50%

https://www.diamonds.uk.com

Must say, their service was faultless and the ring arrived in a beautiful gift wrapped woodden box. My girlfriend (oops.., I mean fiancee'!) was delighted ;D
    As a nice bonus they also supplied me with an insurance valuation certificate valued at the high street retail price.
    If anything happened to it, I/we might even make a profit - lol
    ::)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family