Our attempt at being MF!!

Comments

• If it makes you feel better we turned our heating on Sunday evening too. We got back from London and i couldn't even take my coat off i was so chilly. It was only on about 10 minutes though and the new thermostatic radiator valves, boiler and cavity wall insulation are really good. It hasn't clicked on again since then (thermostat set to 19 degrees) so it must have warmed up a lot since Sunday here.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Michelle, we had that one cold night and then it has really warmed up since. I keep thinking my heating must be on it is that mild! I have heard people say snow is forecast? I really hope not! Our house isn't a warm house but with the cavity wall insulation it seems to retain the heat pretty well so heating doesn't need to be on for long.

Am hoping for a peaceful evening tonight so can catch up on a few diaries :)
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • I heard that about snow next week. Hopefully not. I am enjoying this mini heat wave and getting all the clothes dried outside.

I wish we had done the cavity wall insulation a few years back. Amazing how it makes a difference. I don't do cold, so hopefully we will save a lot this winter.
  • CathT
    Well, got paid today and it 'appears' to be correct so I can plan my OP for the month. Aiming for £300+ as have a bit extra income this month although am going to clear a £750 CC (forgot to mention in SOA!) With that cleared still owe ~£500 but will be adding to that with new car purchase which is going on a 0% card (hence the big payment this month so that card can be freed up) with the aim of paying it off by end of interest free period next Sept.
    I know buying a car on a CC is frowned upon but I am very disciplined and am doing it to save the £700 it would have cost us in interest payments had the car gone on 7% finance over 2 years as well as being able to pay it off quicker.

Things I still need to do:

1) Look into selling books on Amazon
    2) Search for cheaper i-phone insurance
    3) double check SOA still tallies up as I have amended some figures
    4) Organise what we can sell in carboot sale this weekend (not sure how much of it is ebayable and tbh their charges are annoying me!)
    5) Keep up with OnePoll and Yougov surveys
    6) Delay food shop till after weekend to give me time to meal plan! (think tesco have a delivery offer for new customers so might use them)
  • Iris_Blue
    Iris_Blue Posts: 1,421 Forumite
    I HATE the snow although I do have some gorgeous Cath Kidston wellies that I bought cheaply this year that I plan to wear ! So it's ok to snow for an hour then disapear quickly :D

I think it's ok to purchase a card on CC as long as you pay in off quickly and it's interest free. They can be great short term loans and save money :)

Well done on your op's
    I can't be bothered updating this anymore
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    CathT wrote: »

Things I still need to do:

1) Look into selling books on Amazon

Hi Cath, I've been selling on Amazon for a few years now - one of my back ups in case things go belly up. If you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them. Theres also a thread in the ebay forum for selling on Amazon tho its often to be found a few pages back these days. Teapot
  • CathT
    Hi teapot,

Well, i listed 6 books before work yesterday and came home to find one of them had sold! Will get that posted off today so that should earn me an extra £10 to send as OP. Not bad considering I have been trying to give these books away for months!

Thanks for the offer of help, I may take you up on it! I am going to confirm shipping today so I assume Amazon will forward my money to my bank account? I will check out the thread as I think I have a fair bit i could sell on Amazon.

Am still waiting for a payslip to arrive as think wages may be a little wrong (as they always are!)

Surveys are going well here, hoping for some payouts pre-christmas.

Need to pop out for bread and milk later so hoping it doesn't turn into a big shop. Might just buy enough things to make a stew for over the weekend.

Hope everyone has a good day!
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Delay food shop till after weekend to give me time to meal plan! (think tesco have a delivery offer for new customers so might use them

Hi CathT :) I've used every supermarket for internet shopping - just to get the new customers discounts! I now alternate between them depending on my fancy.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    CathT wrote: »
    Hi teapot,

Well, i listed 6 books before work yesterday and came home to find one of them had sold! Will get that posted off today so that should earn me an extra £10 to send as OP. Not bad considering I have been trying to give these books away for months!

Thanks for the offer of help, I may take you up on it! I am going to confirm shipping today so I assume Amazon will forward my money to my bank account? I will check out the thread as I think I have a fair bit i could sell on Amazon.

Well done on the sale - should warn you its addictive!! Yes the buyer will be charged once you have clicked 'confirm shipping' though it sometimes takes a while to show up in your account online. Amazon can be v slow. They move money automatically into your account every 2 weeks and for the first payment I think it might be a month but can't remember - it can take 6 - 10 days to show up in your account though. After that once you are 'established' with them you can request a disembursement [as they call it] any time.

Good luck :D
  • mennie
    mennie Posts: 493 Forumite
    Well done on the amazon sale, there will be no books safe it your house as it is addictive!! I sell on there but havent had any sales for a while.

The preparing for winter thread on the Old Style board is good for tips on keeping warm without putting heating on. Today I am lining my curtains with stick on velcro tape and cheapie fleeces from Asda.

For stews ect going to supermarkets at the end of the day will help find you lots of reduced meat. I managed to get 5 trays ot stewing steak fro 40p each theis week. I have managed to get shopping bill down at least £18 per week by batch cooking and applying for vouchers and freebies.

You are doing so well though
    2014 = New Year, New Me
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport