Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    espresso21 wrote: »
    I did it on the site this afternoon and the terms and conditions I checked didn't say anything about a cash back site. It said that after 90 days the cash back would be put into the bank account I had set up the direct debit with. Of course I still have to see if it actually happens....

I have changed. It means I will be paying about £15 per month right now but they predicted a much higher jump in the near future so I think I have done the right thing...or at least I hope so. If not I'm tied in to a contract for the next year or so...

I did it yesterday following the link off MSE and then Moneysupermarket.

I didn't see messages about cashback that I was expecting. Once I had finalise dthe switch I phoned them.

They (MSMarket) said it hadn't been tracked, they logged it manually for me (kept the names/details):) Watch and wait.

I had cleared my cookies beforehand and allowed third party tracking so not sure what happened there.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    At noon today Saturday, Radio 4 headlined that it is the poor who will be facing the highest rate of increase from Scottish Power and probably all the rest.

It is not just the increase in wholesale prices but also the fortune that needs to be spent on our pipes wires and new ports to get more foreign fuel.

The advice was "FIX NOW" - Monday might be too late.

The programme is repeated at 21:04 on Sunday, it has some interesting statistics and of course it is available on i-player.
  • I heard R4 too - scary!
    Can someone tell me straight - I switched last Nov 2010 to EonSaveOnline3 (after hearing Martin on Vine show R2) to duel fuel on a year contract. Can I switch again NOW or would I be penalised by Eon for doing so?
  • hambrook
    hambrook Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June 2011 at 7:41AM
    I heard R4 too - scary!
    Can someone tell me straight - I switched last Nov 2010 to EonSaveOnline3 (after hearing Martin on Vine show R2) to duel fuel on a year contract. Can I switch again NOW or would I be penalised by Eon for doing so?

You switched the same time to the same tariff as me. There is a £30 fee for exiting this deal before November this year. Cheapest FIXED tariff I have found (via 3 comparison sites) is eDF Fixed S@ver 2 but that is 15% worse (-£300 for my usage) than the current EonSaveOnline3.

My current thoughts:
    • Eon only put their prices up in February (one of the last to do so), would they put their prices up last again?
    • Scottish Power recently announced 19% Gas and 10% Electricity price rises - that's an average of just under 15% price rise.......
    • If I switch now to the best fixed tariff I would be 15% WORSE OFF than the current deal
    • If Eon follow exactly the same price rises as Scottish Power then we would be paying the same as the eDF fixed tariff, plus we would have been fined £30 for leaving Eon before 1 November 2011
    • All of of the 'hurry act now" advice is against standard tariff's but EonSaveOnline3 is 6% below standard tariff + 2% Dual Fuel discount.
    • Plus hopping onto the fixed tariff locks me in until 30 June 2012 with a £50 penalty if I wanted to switch.
    So the real question is; "Should I jump early, get a £30 'fine' and give myself a 15% immediate energy price increase, or should I stay on the current decent deal then review my options to switch in November where I could then switch, without penalty and without tie-in and would probably go to another variable tariff?"

Example
    Let's assume E.ON announce 15% Gas and 10% Electricity rises in September - average of 12.5% rise. They would come into effect in October. My £150 a month bill would rise to £168.75 in October, I would be £18.75 a month worse off.

If I applied today for the best fixed rate deal my bill would jump to £172.50 from July, plus I get the £30 fine for exiting my E.On Deal.

Based on the assumptions above (and assuming the 6% off Standard Rate deal remains), by June 2012 my annual bill would be:
    • Staying with E.ON SaveOnline 3: £1,968.75
    • Switching to eDF Fixed S@ver 2: £2,100.00 (includes the £30 E.ON penalty)
    So far I'm leaning towards "Keep Calm and Carry On". See the current deal through then switch to another variable, and switch again if that deal becomes less promising. Keep using cashback site with every switch.

(there's lots of assumptions built into these figures such as you use Gas & Electricity in equal amounts; there is only one price rise in the 12 month period; no bonus cashback amounts were taken into consideration (currently £20 on offer for an eDF switch via Quidco)etc )
  • Thank you so much hambrook! Wow, you really do your homework! I'm impressed! You should be working alongside Martin! I'll take your advice and stick with E-on (apparently people are just getting fed up and not bothering comparing as it all gets too complicated and confusing - blinded by "this deal "and ""that deal, "cash back with this site and not that site" etc etc etc! THANKS AGAIN!:j
  • ellives
    ellives Posts: 635 Forumite
    Hello

Just switched yesterday from E-on online saver 6

Electricity
    Night units - 5.0505 pence per kWh
    Day units up to 900 kWhs per year - 23.541 pence
    Day units - 12.18 pence per kWh

Gas
    Normal units up to 2680 kWhs per year - 5.89575 pence
    Normal units - 2.92845 pence per kWh

Gas and Electricity Discounts
    6.00 % Direct Debit Discount
    2.00 % Dual Fuel Direct Debit Discount

....to Scottish Power Capped Price Energy Online Dual Fuel June 2013 (Version B)

Unit prices
    Gas
    £127.860 Annual standing charge
    3.150p per KWh (3.000p excl. VAT)

Electricity
    £86.69 Annual standing charge
    11.12p per KWh (10.59p excl. VAT)

All prices shown are inclusive of V.A.T. at 5%

Discounts
    Dual Fuel Discount: £16.80
    Online Discount: £15.75

Prices capped until 31st May 2013

My usage is:

Electricity - 6000kwh/annum
    Gas - 27000kwh/annum

I know that the SP rate is more expensive but thought I'd fix quickly.

Can anyone (or perhaps can anyone be bothered) to check my maths here - thanks, in advance.:T
  • Tatton
    Tatton Posts: 2 Newbie
    I used Martins website to Energyhelpline and changed through energyhelpline. I have received this email today. They may be getting large numbers wanting to change and are jibbing on paying out!!!!!!!!!:(
    BEWARE
    See my email from them?? I an fuming:mad:

RE: Cash Back

Inbox

energyhelpline Customer Services
    Dear Mr. Tatton, I am writing with reference to your email regarding your cas...
    energyhelpline Customer ServicesLoading...1:06 PM (6 hours ago)
    Reply Customer Services to me
    show details 1:06 PM (6 hours ago)

Dear Mr. Tatton,
    I am writing with reference to your email regarding your cash back payment.
    Thank you for using our service, our systems record the origin of each application and I can therefore confirm that having checked our records, your switch application was made via the Google search engine. This source does not have a cashback offer available.
    If you have used our service via an alternative link then please confirm this and I will look into the matter further.
    Regards,

Nicola Levillard
    Telesales and Customer Services Manager:eek:
  • Tatton
    Tatton Posts: 2 Newbie
    ellives wrote: »
    Hello

Just switched yesterday from E-on online saver 6

Electricity
    Night units - 5.0505 pence per kWh
    Day units up to 900 kWhs per year - 23.541 pence
    Day units - 12.18 pence per kWh

Gas
    Normal units up to 2680 kWhs per year - 5.89575 pence
    Normal units - 2.92845 pence per kWh

Gas and Electricity Discounts
    6.00 % Direct Debit Discount
    2.00 % Dual Fuel Direct Debit Discount

....to Scottish Power Capped Price Energy Online Dual Fuel June 2013 (Version B)

Unit prices
    Gas
    £127.860 Annual standing charge
    3.150p per KWh (3.000p excl. VAT)

Electricity
    £86.69 Annual standing charge
    11.12p per KWh (10.59p excl. VAT)

Discounts
    Dual Fuel Discount: £16.80
    Online Discount: £15.75

Prices capped until 31st May 2013

My usage is:

Electricity - 6000kwh/annum
    Gas - 27000kwh/annum

I know that the SP rate is more expensive but thought I'd fix quickly.

Can anyone (or perhaps can anyone be bothered) to check my maths here - thanks, in advance.:T

I have just changed from Scottishpower Web Energy Saver12 to EDF fixed for 3 years. THE Web Saver as gone up 35% as they only guarantee 2% under the Base tariff!!! Beware:mad: Not a 19% rise at all.
    This is cheaper that than the Scottishpower fixed for 2 years rate.
  • hogshead
    hogshead Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    I only switched in march 2011 to SP Online Energy Saver 12 (No Standing Charge)
    Pay DD £88 pcm currently £63 in credit.
    I assume there is a penalty should I switch however on comparison site SP Direct are £215 cheaper?
    Can I switch over without penalty if same provider?

This is my consumption over 80 days
    elec total 1089
    av daily 14

gas total 3128
    av daily 39

Had this info in a recent email regarding upcoming changes

Electricity Tariff: WWW Domestic Two Rate Premier Plus (No Standing Charge)
    Electricity prices First 225kWh used each quarter
    Current† 17.926p
    New† 22.666p
    All/Day remaining kWh current 7.605p new 11.005p
    Night Units per kWh current 3.534p new 5.538p

Gas Tariff: WWW Premier Plus (No Standing Charge)
    Gas prices First 670kWh used ea quarter
    Current† 4.865p
    New† 7.541p
    All/Day remaining kWh current 2.777p new 3.457p
  • sodamhall1
    sodamhall1 Posts: 24 Forumite
    So why are prices rising at the moment this makes no sense to me. I'm fed up with this country and things need to change. I have found the solution, you all might think I'm on drugs and it would never work but please take a few mins to read through this.

http://wayneemmerson.blog.com/2011/06/13/an-insane-idea/

Please repost to your facebook/twitter accounts to get this viral!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback