Password reset questions and feedback

Comments

• This clearly isnt working all it is doing is inconveniencing genuine users with all due respect. The bots are still happy spamming as we speak. The captcha is easy to bypass I have seen much better. Your forums are targetted a lot more because of the amount of users you have therefore you need better spam protection. Changing your password every x amount of time I dont see how that can stop spam
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I notice that some of the posts now are pushing a UK phone number.

I suggest contacting the number provider and reporting the specific number and hence by implication the customer.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    And I do not understand why you closed down the : password update prompt thread which had 146 posts, just to open this one on the same issue. A lot of people will not bother to look at it if it is closed.

And when is the whole use of apostrophes going to be sorted out? I am fed up with sounding like a Victorian.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 11:17AM
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Ia newbie might be asked to reset their password every 60 days (and this could reduce the burden on the system of forgotten newbie accounts). Someone with at least 1 year's membership gets 120 day cycles, 3 years or more gets 360 day cycles.
    I agree with this, though it's unlikely the forum's functionality is such that the password expiry date can be so individually tailored.
    redux wrote: »
    As I've said a couple of time before, investigate improving the captcha mechanism on sign-up.
    I agree with this too, though I suspect there is probably no budget available for such improvements.

Regardless, I notice there is just as much spam on the boards as ever this morning...
    Probably only disguised as coming from the UK I'm afraid.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,299
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    As an extra measure we’ve also put in place a 90 day time limit for password expiry, and would appreciate your feedback.

Does this mean everyone is going to have to change their password every 90 days? :eek:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Hassle

Hassle

Hassle

I had a fairly easy password but to be barred unless I change it to something that is 7 or 8 characters or whatever long... hassle.

I don't really care that much if a "hacker" manages to guess my password. What are they going to do? Post on my behalf?

I appreciate some people do care about their account a fair but more than I, so those people can choose a longer password but I shouldn't be required to if I don't want to.

If it expires every 90 days, I'll be posting a lot less as I'll probably forget whatever the latest password is, and then have to go through the reset option, so I might as well just make a new account...
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Forumite

I suggest contacting the number provider and reporting the specific number and hence by implication the customer.
    Probably only disguised as coming from the UK I'm afraid.

When you receive a spam phone call, the number may be spoofed, as you suggest, but if posts here are inviting people to call a number then that will be a real number.

Phone providers don't like furnishing facilities to fraudsters. Apart from possible reputational damage by association, there is a fair chance they won't be paid.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Forumite
    When I went to log in this morning I got the change your password message. It said to do so on the page with the message on. I may be very thick but in no way as it obvious how to do so. I had to fiddle around till I could find a link to the UserCP.

It does not bother me about changing passwords but it should be simple and obvious how to do it.

I am on an IPad. No idea if that makes any difference
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Does this mean everyone is going to have to change their password every 90 days? :eek:
    Indeed. I'm another who doesn't understand how this curtails spam. Presumably spammers start by setting up an account so the issue (as well as effective monitoring systems) is stopping them setting up an account in the first place.
    My head hurts....
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,299
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I suppose royally p***ing off all the regular/longstanding forum members to the extent that they give up using the forum completely will eventually reduce the attractiveness of the forum to the spammers...
    Problem solved? :cool:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business