PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Good Waitrose buys

Options
Hello all,

I have been given £50 of John Lewis vouchers, and I am thinking of using them at Waitrose instead, to save some cash on my grocery budget.

The only problem is that I have never shopped there before. Does anyone have any recommendations on good/good value buys there? I think the meat and fish are supposed to be good quality?

I’d be really grateful for any replies!
2024 goals
GC: Jan £160 (annual £1920)
Savings: save £10K (or move house)
Health: Lose 3 stone
Mind: read at least 24 books

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My OH has a My Waitrose card. We only ever shop there when they send us money off vouchers, which they do quite regularly, probably 3-4 times a year. We end up saving 20%. Sign up for a card and wait to see if you get some vouchers.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Grannymolly
    Options
    You can get £20 off your first online shop of £80 which is pretty good. Their basic range is reasonably priced and they do have offers. Maybe just shop wisely or stock up on things you use often?
    Family of 4 and a cat, trying to reduce outgoings GC JAN £225.94/£250 GC FEB £93.20/£250
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    My OH has a My Waitrose card. We only ever shop there when they send us money off vouchers, which they do quite regularly, probably 3-4 times a year. We end up saving 20%. Sign up for a card and wait to see if you get some vouchers.

I second this, get a loyalty card, this will then allow you to "pick your own offers" which gives an additional % off selected items. Limited choices but fine if they are what you use. Plus of course free newspaper & coffee for over £10 spend

Although W/rose is thought of as expensive, for some things it can be the same price or even less, especially if tied in with offers

Quality is always good IMO
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Second the use of the pick your own offers. Also the loyalty card gets you 20% off fish on Fridays.
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hi

I would also say that I find waitrose meat ( including essentials) excellent quality so if you can get it on deals/ys/puck your own it is worth stocking up and freezing.

Hope you get some great deals

Bexster :)
  • csnann
    csnann Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Waitrose are doing a lot of half price offers at the moment
    https://www.waitrose.com/shop/Browse/Offers
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Certainly sign up for a MyWaitrose card and go online to pick your own offers, choice can be limited but can include coffee, toilet roll etc so stuff you buy every week.
    Their essential range is excellent and good value, as previous poster said they currently have a half price event which I think will last all month. What I do like is how long their F&V lasts, even when it's yellow stickered.
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    Anything essential waitrose is usually pretty good, they also have a habit of yellow stickering odd things which can work out a bargain. Got 12 eggs with a use-by of 2 weeks for £0.10, no idea why!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have a W'rose loyalty card which I get vouchers for every few months and if I pick the right time late afternoon the meat Y/S is really good as a rule ,plus you can look online and get lots of offers for basic stuff.But I only go when I know I can make decent savings as my nearest one is a 20 mile round trip, but you do get a free coffee and a paper (good at weekends) if you spend over £10.00 As someone else said often their stuff is no dearer than other SM and their y/s stuff is always greatly reduced, more than my local big Mr T's
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .Remember, too, that the cost of your freebie My Waitrose hot drink (e.g. cappuccino £2.25) and chosen paper go towards that £10.
    I have long played emporium and MrT off against each other.
    Local emporium meat and fish counter is haggle-friendly, in the nicest possible way:-)
    Quality is always good. Butter 500gms@£2.97 is still cheaper than MrT, despite recent substantial price rises(and range shrinkage) at both......more Brexit wrexit fallout
    The free Waitrose Weekend newspaper comes out on Thursdays. The monthly magazine is also free. Neither is purely guff and advertising.
    Rtc's abound late in day.
    #
    Enjoy the experience.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure