Butlins Minehead things to do nearby?

We are going to Butlins Minehead 2 July in our touring caravan and wondered if anyone knows of any pubs, restaurants or things to see and do that are nearby? We will use the facilities on the park but sometimes they are a bit expensive and places outwith can be better value.

Thank you for any info you can give.

Comments

• ambercam
    ambercam Posts: 40 Forumite
    It depends on the quality of pub you're looking for. There's a Weatherspoons in the town centre which is within walking distance if you're fit. (Well there was when I went 2 years ago). I ate there and it was fine.
    There is also an onsite pub at Butlins Minehead, from what I remember it wasn't too badly priced. And, theres a few other eateries within the complex but I didn't eat in any of them.
    For days out I'd recommend Dunster Castle, its only a few miles drive away and free if you're a member of the National Trust, not sure of the price if not.
  • spaceman5
    spaceman5 Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    i used to work there mind you it was over 10 years ago now, but i used to love going to the ship o`ground pub on the harbour, its a quite little pub who do lovely food(or did), and although i have neve been to this one, i only heard good things about it, its called raleigh`s cross, its a bit further out, roughly 10 miles from minehead but as i say i only ever here good things about it

HTH
    Take every day as it comes!!
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2011 at 7:47AM
    Minehead is quite tucked away and the roads to get in and out are quite windy but there are loads of pubs in the town and in the villages around. In Butlins itself there is a pub called The Sun & Moon and prices are pretty much comparable to be honest, there is also a fish & chip shop, Pizza Hut (who run the same offers as on the high street) and 2 buffet style eat-all-you-like restaurants you can eat in (£9 adults, £5 for kids)

Out and about there is Tropiquaria just a few miles away, Dunster Castle, the steam train (it runs past Butlins) and various little harbours and coastal areas. However, I do think you need to go further afield to get to a lot of places and it takes a while to get off the windy roads into Minehead.

You can go to Lynton and Lynmouth and they have a few things to do there and I think it is beautiful there and when we drove we saw the Exmoor ponies along the way and they had foals as well, it is a beautiful part of the country and we love nothing more than getting in the car and driving to see what we can find. Ilfracombe is not that far away and if you are organised you can arrange a trip to Lundy Island from there too.

And then you have Exmoor Zoo and Diggerland (if you have kids) and there is House of Marbles that make glass ornaments and have lots of things on display and this is totally free and has a wonderful cafe that makes homemade food. There is a lot to do outside of the park if you want to get in your car.

We are going for a week this time and we want to have more days out. It is just a stunning place to go on holiday and have lots to do on site if you do not want to go far as well. However, most of the stuff there is to do in Butlins is free or cost is minimal, you'll not find anything better value than free :) There is always something going on there.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    I would head for the Hairy Dog in the main street, The weatherspoons isn't too bad, during the day there is a fantastic greasy spoon along side the Town hall (thinks its called town hall cafe) nothing fancy but its cheap and clean and does a great fry-up, if you have young kids with you you will prob end up staying mostly on site as there is plenty to entertain, unless your you really want the expense of traveling out, (wooky hole) and glastonbury are 30 miles away, as blue monkey says its a feels a long old road to anywhere
  • chergar
    chergar Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you all for your replies, we do have children (8 & 5) and have been to skegness butlins for the last couple of years but fancied a change this year. We don't mind going out in the car some days so I will plan a few things we can do over the course of a couple of days, I will look into Digger land and the Glass place for certain. In the evening we find the entertainment venues get a bit too busy and loud, we enjoyed the Sun & Moon in skegness as there was a playpark at the side and the children could play there while we had a coffee and beer so something similar would be great, I don't drink so don't mind driving to a nice place offsite.
  • anniemf2508
    anniemf2508 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    If you want to cook for yourself....Gerald David butcher in Minehead is awesome :)
  • bowyert1
    bowyert1 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mambo, Mambo and Mambo. Close by (1/2 mile) , great entertainment
  • claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 May 2011 at 10:43AM
    http://www.loveyourzoo.co.uk/offers.html
    tropiquaria voucher

The Hairy dog pub in Minehead has great play area for kids.

The steam train was on tesco clubacard vouchers last time I looked.

Get some crab lines, bucket and a pack of cheap bacon and let the kids crab from Watchet harbour.

Porlock Weir has a lovely little aquarium. Porlock pretty little village.
  • beachbhoy
    beachbhoy Posts: 142 Forumite
    chergar wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies, we do have children (8 & 5) and have been to skegness butlins for the last couple of years but fancied a change this year. We don't mind going out in the car some days so I will plan a few things we can do over the course of a couple of days, I will look into Digger land and the Glass place for certain. In the evening we find the entertainment venues get a bit too busy and loud, we enjoyed the Sun & Moon in skegness as there was a playpark at the side and the children could play there while we had a coffee and beer so something similar would be great, I don't drink so don't mind driving to a nice place offsite.

We went last year with our tourer. The site was fantastic and the kids had a great time on the site. We are going to skegenss this year. The journey with the caravan to Minehead was a bit tight, we only got our first caravan last year and I am told I was adventurious going to Minehead. We left Airdrie on the Friday night and travelled to the services on the M5 (Gordono), this took around 8 hours as the M was shut at the M junction and we were diverted through Wolverhampton this added about 2 hours on to our journey. The trip from the services to Butlins took another 3 hours due to traffic. We had a great time and the return journey took around 8 hours.

Minehead is a smaller town than I expected has a nice beach and when we were their the red arrows di=one a dispaly one day we headed down the coast a bit and found some lovely villages we even went to paigton for the day.

Have a great holiday!
  • chergar
    chergar Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    beachbhoy wrote: »
    We went last year with our tourer. The site was fantastic and the kids had a great time on the site. We are going to skegenss this year. The journey with the caravan to Minehead was a bit tight, we only got our first caravan last year and I am told I was adventurious going to Minehead. We left Airdrie on the Friday night and travelled to the services on the M5 (Gordono), this took around 8 hours as the M was shut at the M junction and we were diverted through Wolverhampton this added about 2 hours on to our journey. The trip from the services to Butlins took another 3 hours due to traffic. We had a great time and the return journey took around 8 hours.

Minehead is a smaller town than I expected has a nice beach and when we were their the red arrows di=one a dispaly one day we headed down the coast a bit and found some lovely villages we even went to paigton for the day.

Have a great holiday!

Thank you Beachboy

Have you been to Skegness before?
    We have been the last two years and really enjoyed it, the tourer bit is nice, the toilets/shower block are very basic, they are portacabins but have plenty of hot water and are clean enough. The tourer bit has it's own pub, The Crazy Horse, so you don't need to be in the crowds if you just fancy a wee drink and to let the kids run about the dancefloor. The road to Skegness wasn't too bad, we tend to leave when hubby comes in from work on the Friday night and then stop at services when he feels tired, both times that happened to be at Pontefract (we are in Paisley), and then the second leg of the journey is only a few hours more and we are there for pitching on time at noon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure