Cheap/free parking in Salisbury, Wiltshire?

Tustastic
Tustastic Posts: 2,096 Forumite
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I'm going to Salisbury by car for the day this Friday and would like tips on where I can park for free or at a low cost. I'll be coming from London. Happy to park on the outskirts and walk into the centre.
Hope someone has advice and hope this is the right place to post this request.
Cheers :)
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MoneySavingExpert Forum Team

Comments

• bartman
    bartman Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Even as a local I'm pushed to find anywhere to park for free these days!

I'm afraid Salisbury is not car-friendly! Our inept council has made the town centre difficult to negotiate by car, by use of an impenetrable one-way system, inadequate signposting, deliberate narrowing of previously OK roads to single track so that traffic can only travel in one direction at a time, and a ludicrous 20 mph speed limit.

If by some miracle you manage to get to a car park in the town centre, you will need a second mortgage.

The best advice I think is to head for the Park & Ride - it's £2.50 for the day - there is one as you approach on the A30 from London, strangely enough it's the London Road Park & Ride!

Here

I hope you enjoy your day!
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    bartman is mostly right. Parking in Salisbury is expensive. For a one off visit, for a whole day, the park and ride is best.

Because I hate paying to park I always park for free either at Waitrose or at the Homebase on Southampton Road but I'm only usually there for a couple of hours.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    bartman wrote: »
    as a local ........... the town centre .......... town centre

As a "local", thought you would know Salisbury is a City ! :rolleyes:
  • LandyAndy
    moonrakerz wrote: »

Salisbury is so small it is easy to think of it as a town.;)

There is, after all, only the big pointy thing in the middle to remind you otherwise.:rolleyes:
  • bartman
    bartman Posts: 324 Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote: »

Does anybody really say "I'm off to the city to do some shopping"? Nah!

Even in New York people refer to uptown and downtown.

If my missus said she was off to the city, I'd assume she had either landed a new job at the Stock Exchange or was gonna try her luck at King's Cross!

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Landy, weren't Waitrose threatening to clamp cars which had overstayed their welcome? Although I note that you said you only used it for a couple of hours, maybe if anybody went beyond that they might get some hassle.
  • drive down and park in some random street for free theres lots of them about!
  • LandyAndy
    bartman wrote: »
    Does anybody really say "I'm off to the city to do some shopping"? Nah!

Even in New York people refer to uptown and downtown.

If my missus said she was off to the city, I'd assume she had either landed a new job at the Stock Exchange or was gonna try her luck at King's Cross!

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Landy, weren't Waitrose threatening to clamp cars which had overstayed their welcome? Although I note that you said you only used it for a couple of hours, maybe if anybody went beyond that they might get some hassle.

Yes I think you are right.
  • kat1311
    kat1311 Posts: 39 Forumite
    parking is free after 6pm in the city centre so its worth hanging on til then if possible... if not then park and ride is definately the best option. As with any old city the smaller the car the better!
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    kat1311 wrote: »
    parking is free after 6pm in the city centre so its worth hanging on til then if possible... if not then park and ride is definately the best option. As with any old city the smaller the car the better!

Well done kat ! :T (my highlighting )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport