German electric storage radiators

Jamesbub
Jamesbub Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi, sorry if this is wrong forum.

I am looking at these new German electric dynamic storage heaters:

'The chamotte blocks not only store heat but heat up very quickly, so electricity draw down is low, working out for many rooms from around 4p an hour. Highly controlled independent testing in the UK and Germany confirm the low running costs.
Independent tests, both in the UK and Germany, show that to heat a large living room on a cold day with a 2kw German dynamic storage radiator to a steady and comfortable 71 degrees Fahrenheit will require electricity draw down for only 17 minutes every hour. So for 8 hours of heating, that equals 2 hours and 16 minutes of power. At 12p per kilowatt hour that calculates out to just under 55p, or under 7p per hour or £3.85 per week.
But an ecomony7 night storage radiator for the same room will typically need to be 3.4kw. Seven hours at 6p per kilowatt hour will cost £1.42. So, if the room is used for the same amount of time (8 hours) the cost to keep you warm is almost 18p per hour or £10 per week.
So, if you needed to heat just one room for 8 hours each day there's an estimated saving here of £6.15 per week.'

Only use 17min every hour, are these new technological radiators the awnser then to getting very cheap heating.

I have read quite a few 'heating' companies have had ASA adjuctions upheld against them with these continental type system claims?

So, are these just normal storage radiators that are the equivalent from a british manufactor hyped up to sell?

If the claim above is correct do these draw 4 times the current to charge them compared to a traditional british storage heater during the 17 min claim?

Please set my mind at rest...thank you.

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A storage heater is not heating for the whole 7 hours. May be as little as half that. They have a thermostat and switch on and off during the night. They may also have residual heat from the previous day and they heat for 24 hours not 8. E7 electricity is also cheaper than 6p. Mine is 4.5p. Can be cheaper elsewhere. So the comparison is flawed.

Also when they say cold day just how cold is that? It would be accurate if the outside temperature was about 10 degrees that's what my cheap convector heater uses about 17 minutes per hour when it's 10 out but it would cost a lot more if it was 0 degrees outside almost 60 minutes to keep the room warm.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Yet again this is absolute rubbish! They are not storage heaters but radiators filled with ???

A 2kW heater, is a 2kW heater and gives EXACTLY the same amount of heat as any other 2kW heater it doesn't matter if they are filled with custard and coated with platinum, or filled with platinum and coated with custard.

As said many many times, all electrical heaters are 100% efficient and produce the same amount of heat for the same running cost. This applies to any heater from the most expensive radiator costing many hundreds of pounds, to a £10 fan heater, to Granny's old 1/2/3 bar heater.

If they are filled with a substance that retains the heat when power is removed, then they take longer to produce heat - the nett result is exactly the same.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's high time some of these crooks were hounded out of business.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    Yet again this is absolute rubbish! They are not storage heaters but radiators filled with ???

A 2kW heater, is a 2kW heater and gives EXACTLY the same amount of heat as any other 2kW heater it doesn't matter if they are filled with custard and coated with platinum, or filled with platinum and coated with custard.

As said many many times, all electrical heaters are 100% efficient and produce the same amount of heat for the same running cost. This applies to any heater from the most expensive radiator costing many hundreds of pounds, to a £10 fan heater, to Granny's old 1/2/3 bar heater.

If they are filled with a substance that retains the heat when power is removed, then they take longer to produce heat - the nett result is exactly the same.

So this company needs reporting to the ASA then for making these illegal claims?

I know if you type in 'continental storage heaters' on the ASA adjudication site it brings up quite a few 'heating companies' who have made these claims in the past.

Many thanks Cardew, i'll inform the parents to buy 'normal' electric storage heaters.
  • I realise this is an old topic.

If you fill one of the radiators with salt water and the other with fresh water the one with the salt water will warm quicker and cool slower.

I am an electrician. I found this post looking for some decent information about the performance of these heaters.

A 2KW element is a 2KW element. Any two, 2KW elements will burn the same amount of energy for the amount of time that they are switched on. (Assuming they are identical twins!)

The salt water radiator will heat quicker, which will allow the element to go off sooner. It will also cool slower which will allow the element to be off longer. The element will be on less often and for a shorter duration and as a result will consume less energy whilst maintaining the same heat.

The heat retention properties of the contents (???) of the heater make a potentially massive difference to the performance of the heater and therefore a potentially massive difference to it's efficiency (running cost.)

I have issues with storage heaters, none of them are addressed in this post.

So, is Cardew's head filled with platinum or custard?

You decide.

An extremely unhelpful and ill-informed post.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Mosshead wrote: »
    I realise this is an old topic.

If you fill one of the radiators with salt water and the other with fresh water the one with the salt water will warm quicker and cool slower.

I am an electrician. I found this post looking for some decent information about the performance of these heaters.

A 2KW element is a 2KW element. Any two, 2KW elements will burn the same amount of energy for the amount of time that they are switched on. (Assuming they are identical twins!)

The salt water radiator will heat quicker, which will allow the element to go off sooner. It will also cool slower which will allow the element to be off longer. The element will be on less often and for a shorter duration and as a result will consume less energy whilst maintaining the same heat.

The heat retention properties of the contents (???) of the heater make a potentially massive difference to the performance of the heater and therefore a potentially massive difference to it's efficiency (running cost.)

I have issues with storage heaters, none of them are addressed in this post.

So, is Cardew's head filled with platinum or custard?

You decide.

Welcome to the forum. Yet again a first time poster wanting to post about these type of heaters.

Your talents are wasted as a mere Electrician. You should be put up for a Nobel prize as you have just re-written the laws of physics.

Heats quicker, and cools slower?? Really?

I suppose the more salt you add to the water, the more economical the heater?

Please carry on with your contributions - we need some humour.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I'd certainly agree with that!

So is the specific heat capacity of salt water higher or lower than that of fresh water?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler

The salt water radiator will heat quicker, which will allow the element to go off sooner.

Can't you see the contradiction in your own post?

Where does the extra energy come from to heat the salt water radiator quicker? You say yourself the 2 elements will burn the same amount of energy. The heat IS the energy.

If you could create energy in this way we wouldn't be worried about fossil fuels running out!
  • There is no extra energy, the extra HEAT comes from the physical properties of whatever material you fill the heater with.

Seriously guys... you are beginning to worry me!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Fill it with what you like: water, oil, bricks, custard, or magic German ectoplasm, it's still just a heat sink. It does not increase the amount of heat produced per kWh of electricity used.
    All it does it modify the rate of heat release.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport