Best value passes for airport lounges?

Options
I've used an airport lounge a few times, usually as a guest, and have always appreciated the calm and free drinks. I'd love to use them more often and have been thinking about getting my own pass.

I was wondering what, if any, the best way to get one was. The concern would be whether the kids would be allowed entry. They are very well behaved, but are 13 & 10. There'd be less point if they'd be excluded more often than they'd be allowed in.

I travel about once a month for work, but nowhere exotic, usually just domestic and Ireland. As a family we fly a couple of times a year for holidays, just to Europe.

Just wondering what the options are. Any tips please? Thanks.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    depends where you fly from. eg there are no paid lounges in Heathrow T5
    You can look at Priority Pass or Airport Angels but often still have to pay for guests (around £15 per head) so it may be cheaper to just pay as you go (paying in advance often gives a discount)
    Each lounge will have it's own rules re children but, where children are permitted they would be allowed on payment of the guess rate

Airport Angels is £140 for the year. This gets you as the member in for 8 visits and you would pay £15 for each guest
    Priority Pass do £159 for 10 visits for the member (or £259 for unlimited access) and again each guest would be £15
  • w211
    w211 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might want to consider applying for an American Express Platinum charge card, if you're eligible.

This would come with a Priority Pass, which would also allow a guest free of charge (slightly different than the one you can buy). You would also be able to give another Priority Pass card, to a supplementary card holder, i.e. your spouse, which would also allow a guest to enter a lounge free of charge. Therefore a family of four could enter a lounge.

The lounge information on Priority Pass's website will give details on children being allowed entry.

However, you need to bear in mind, the card comes with a £450 annual fee. Depending on how much you travel it may or may not be worth it to you.

The card also comes with travel insurance, for you and your spouse and children. You will also be in the highest membership tier for many hotel and car loyalty programs, if you need them for work.

If you travel once a month, and take holidays twice a year, and use the same airline, check whether you'd be eligible for frequent flier status, as this would give lounge access anyway.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sometimes a drink and a snack in the quiet corner of the quietest restaurant in the terminal can be better than the lounge. Nothing worse than a busy lounge.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    how long are you going to be at the airport for if only a couple hours then no point , i was at heathrow last month for 4hrs and weighed up options of a lounge and decided against it , couple meal deals in boots sorted me out food/drink wise
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    I like a lounge too - but not always. If there's a long enough layover to be worth it, and a shower, and a semi-reclining seat so you can nap, and nice hot snacks, - brilliant. Flying out of DXB at 10pm, the pay lounge is smoky, noisy, full and standing yet there are plenty of nice quiet spaces to sit, eat, drink with great service within a few paces of the lounge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure