PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• Every time my local ASDA restock the shelves with Bio-Ethanol, it sells out in days.

As for Amazon, some of their prices are :eek:

Emergency shelters - £2-60.

The identical thing available from £land.

500ml aluminium water bottle - £2-47.

Almost identical thing available from £land.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Wow, maryb, that was one hell of a dream. Sounds like some I have, they're like movies and completely logical and I wake up and go WT...?!

If you're after a cheap standby mobile, there's some chatter on the UKPreppers forum about Nokya's £13 offering which seems to be designed for just this kind of intermittant use. Mebbe worth a mosey?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ASDA are selling packs of 4 Votive Candles (8-10 hour burn time), for £1 a pack.

Might be worth spending a fiver on some, to store away for emergencies.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Trouble with an emergency mobile is, they delete your number if you don't use the phone. So it's another thing to remember, making at least one call a month on it.

The advantage would be I could have all the phone numbers stored on it. Try as I may I can never remember mobile numbers for the girls. Nor can I remember my own - I have a little label on the back with the number written on it
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    ASDA are selling packs of 4 Votive Candles (8-10 hour burn time), for £1 a pack.

Might be worth spending a fiver on some, to store away for emergencies.
    :D Cheers for that tip-off, I shall be up there tomorrow after w*rk. Got to consider the volume of space a prep takes up as well as its price, so doubly good.

Do they have these in stock all the time or is it for some religious thingy that's seasonal? I'm completely irreligious so wouldn't know.

:p Well, I tend to notice Diwali cos some colleagues bring in sweeties to celebrate it, but my team celebrate anything; we're equal ops gluttons............
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    Do they have these in stock all the time or is it for some religious thingy that's seasonal?

I think it's all the time.

I know some people who use them as Shabbat candles, and Shabbat isn't exactly seasonal.
  • maryb wrote: »
    they delete your number if you don't use the phone. So it's another thing to remember, making at least one call a month on it.

With Orange, you only need to make/receive a call every 6 months, to stay connected.
  • elaine241
    elaine241 Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Every time my local ASDA restock the shelves with Bio-Ethanol, it sells out in days

Bedsit Bob where do they put it in Asda when in stock?I have never seen it in our local one, is it called something specific?
    I will pop in tomorrow and see if the candles are in our store.

"Big Al says dogs can't look up!"
  • GreyQueen
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I think it's all the time.

I know some people who use them as Shabbat candles, and Shabbat isn't exactly seasonal.
    :o Errm, what's a shabbatt candle? Will they be in all ASDAs do you think? The reason I ask is that I'll have to bike up hills (that store isn't on my way to anywhere so I seldom go) and wouldn't want to get knackered if they mightn't have them in.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    :o Errm, what's a shabbatt candle?

It's a candle lit to celebrate Shabbat (or Shabbos in Yiddish), the Jewish day of rest.

2 should be lit, although some people light more, for various reasons.
    Will they be in all ASDAs do you think?

The Votive Candles?

Should be, as they're listed on the Asda website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure