The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks, never new i choose that option, i'll give them a ring and sort it out!

Cheers
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just rang them and the interest can not be added to the account, it has to be paid to an external account. I am on the older internet savings account not the one advertised.

Not a biggie as i only get a few pence each month.
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sparksoft wrote: »
    Hi all

Forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place, but after seeing on MSE that CitiBank were offering higher rates than most, I applied for an account online. The next day, I received an email welcoming me and informing me that my application was with the "Account Opening Team". Then nothing. A week later, I contacted them again and miraculously, I got an email asking me for my Passport details either by post or through a secure online form. I elected to use the form.

There was no response from that and I phoned. I was asked to leave it for 3 days then my account would be set up.

Another week later I phoned again. After being put on hold numerous times and subjected to horrendous manic Indian music at full volume, I was told they hadnt received my passport details. I explained again that I had done this using the online alternative method they offer. I got a robotic, we cannot proceed with your account until you send us your passport details.

It started to feel like my identity was being stolen rather than a savings account being set up! I started to feel very nervous!! They have my full details, my bank account details, my passport details etc. Yet I followed the link from my Egg Account (Citi are part of the same group) so it should be okay. I also followed the link from MSE, it went to the same place. But their chaotic systems and bemused operators do not fill you with confidence.

I tried to complain via their website, but you can't complain unless you already have an account. There's no email address for Joe Public! If you use the telephone number, they put you straight back through to Captain Chaos in India!!

So I have told them to close my application and to email me when they have done it to confirm that they have deleted all my personal details. I doubt that will happen either - as the person had to put me on hold to find out if they could send an email!

CitiBank are a very educational bank. They certainly taught me a lesson!!

Avoid this bunch like the plague!

Does anyone have any ideas for a better, easier, higher interest rate, easy access savings account that isnt a nightmare to set up?

Thanks all! :)

Sparkie :mad:

If you have more tha 10k then How about Ulster bank? it has a new top instant access account paying 3.6% (including 1% bonus for 6 months).
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thats the Euro account ;) The sterling one is from 10k up: http://www.ulsterbank.ie/ni/personal/saving/instant-access/pathway/rates.ashx
  • Looks like ING are about to pull their 3.2 rate (or 2.7% bonus) from the 14th. https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/savings-news.aspx?newsarticleid=190680
  • £10,000 cheque to be sent in post to NI to open the account, should I go for it or not..
    Can my first lodgement be taken electronically from an account held at another bank?

No. Your initial lodgment can be taken from an existing Ulster Bank account or you can send us a personal cheque. This must be new to bank funds. You cannot send cash. Please note that your initial lodgment must be a minimum of £10,000. Once your account is opened it is possible to transfer money by a Standing Order or an electronic transfer from another bank into your Pathway account from an account that has the facility to set up Standing Orders or electronic transfers. Additional lodgements into your Pathway account must be new to bank funds.
  • Parisian
    Parisian Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 November 2009 at 2:38AM
    Heyyy guys,

A question for you - I opened an A&L online saver issue 5 account a few months ago. I checked the interest rates for it today and it is 3.15% gross, 2.52% net.

I see that they have a newer online saver issue 6 account which is paying 3.00% gross.

Am I missing something, or is it better to stick with the issue 5 account? Just wanted to check the general concensus, as usually they open newer accounts with better rates?!

Alsoooo, the rates for both accounts seem to be quite competitive but are not listed in Martins Top Saving articles (although Intelligent Finance at a lower rate of 2.49% interest is listed).... why are they not listed? I have looked through everything and am wondering if I am totally missing something here!

Thank you :)
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    Looks like ING are about to pull their 3.2 rate (or 2.7% bonus) from the 14th. https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/savings-news.aspx?newsarticleid=190680

It says on the website guranteed for 12 months?

Does this mean that it wont be availiable for new customers, and those who open before the 14th will still get 3.16 for 12 months from opening?
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    why do a number of comparision site not list the ulster bank account, Its a GBP account and is covered under FSA for £50,000 per person.

it gives top rate and looks very good or am i missing something here....
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 November 2009 at 9:32PM
    xyz123 wrote: »
    why do a number of comparision site not list the ulster bank account, Its a GBP account and is covered under FSA for £50,000 per person.

It appears on Moneyfacts and MoneySupermarket websites. Enter £10,000 in the search (minimum for account).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback