Windowless bathroom

Hi folks

We're shortly due to move into a new build house that has a windowless bathroom. This is not the forum to debate the stupidiness of such thing!

However, I'm concerned about steam and condensation building up leading to dampness. Is there anything I can do to alleviate such horror? The bathroom is fitted with a ventilator but in the real world, I suspect this won't do much.

So, apart from leaving the door ajar - are there any tips to prevent condensation? The room is fully tiled.

Thanks.

SVM

Comments

• I'm in a similar situation - the bathroom in our fairly new house does not have a window. Condensation isn't a problem for us. We have an extractor fan that comes on when the light is switched on and stayes on for a short time after the light is switched off.

Also, we usually leave the door open when the bathroom is not in use. The bathroom is well heated so any condensation that isn't removed by the fan is quickly evaporated.

I sometimes find that the windows upstairs get a bit of condensation building up on them so we open the windows every so often. I find our house is pretty tightly sealed so its probably a good idea to do this anyway to keep the air fresh.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you do a search you will find a recent thread about this very subject.

I've lived in 2 houses with no window in the bathroom & the built in ventilation systems were more than effective in extracting the steam & minimising condensation.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    My shower has an extractor fan in the ceiling above it, which is vented through the loft and there is a grill in the eves of the house. It gets rid of the steam well. There's a mirror on the wall opposite which never gets any steam on it!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • dora37
    dora37 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    DS1's bedroom has a windowless ensuite - this also has an extracror fan that comes on with the light and stays on for a little while after.

We have lived here for nearly 7 years and we have never had a problem regarding condensation etc.

HTH
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    there are rules and regs for this sort of thing. the designers will/should have worked out the solution. the extractor/airvent system should be more than enough to stop any condensation problems.
    Get some gorm.
  • Keldin
    Keldin Posts: 296 Forumite
    The fan should have an overun setting where it runs for up to 15 minutes after the lights are turned off. You may be able to extend the time it is set for if you need it.
    If you're really worried or have problems you can get extractor fans that have humidity controls so they come on when the humidity goes above a set level. Some also have trickle settings so they make almost no noise.

K
  • Brilliant - thanks to you all. I'm a bit more assured now. At the decision-making stage of whether to buy the house or not, I was concerned about the lack of window. But as you know, some compromises are necessary and the rest of the house is great. I tried to think of a hotel I have stayed in which had no windows in the bathrooms (not many do) and suffered from damp - I couldn't think of any and have actually liked the bathrooms is they were finished nicely.

If we do suffer from a problem, will look at the humidifier version as suggested by Keldin!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure