Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > How not to look like a self diagnosing hypocondri... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How not to look like a self diagnosing hypocondriac?
Views: 2,842
# 21
tinkle
Old 29-03-2012, 6:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthree View Post
I have had various health issues over the past 3 years all of which have been treated as seperate things but nothing is ever cured or even managed.

Sick and desperate of feeling quite so bad with one of my symptoms a little googling took place which took me to a list of symptoms for underactive thyroids of which I can say that I seem to have around 85%.

So what is the best way to approach this with the Dr?

I have one of those surgerys where you never seem the same Dr twice which makes building any up any kind of rapport with them hard and they also never seem to have the time to go through stuff with you (10min consults only!) and have no idea of your history.

Is it just a case of saying look I want to be tested for this?
Or is there a better way to go?

Thanks in advance.
P3
I am in the same position as you. I thought my symptoms were down to my contraception. I have put on over 2 stone, my hair is noticibly falling out. I have joined the gym and eat very healthily and have lost no weight. Other syptoms such as forgetfulness, clumsiness, fatigue ( even after having a good nights sleep) very itchy skin...i am at my wits end with this. It is the lack of weight loss that is affecting me the most at the moment. I also want to go to my Dr and request a blood test, but like you, do not want to seem like a hypocondriac!

Can anybody tell me how long it took from getting your blood test, to a positive diagnosis, to treatment?

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
Josie Jump
Old 30-03-2012, 1:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi following this thread as I was diagnosed hypothyroid several years ago with no sign of symptoms improving despite medication etc.

Can anyone recommendation a good private consultant in Northern Ireland if possible? Thanks
# 23
QuackQuackOops
Old 30-03-2012, 1:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you have a vitamin D deficiency then over the counter vitamins are next to useless. You could take them for a year and your levels will never recover.

It is important to take the supplements prescribed by the docs as these are a much much higher strength.

A vitamin D deficiency can render you useless and can pretty much make you feel as though you are dying....your hair falls out, you sleep forever, skin is bad, memory is bad...so many symptoms and it can cause so much pain too. Without blood tests it can be confused for so many other illnesses.....underactive thyroid being one of them.....although it is possible to have both.

Try to get outside with your head and arms un-covered for at least 15 minutes in the middle of each day as well as taking the supplements.
You can also boost your levels with a good diet. Free range eggs for brekkie is a good choice.
Concentrate on doing what you need to do to get your levels up and staying up and you will start to feel better (providing there is no other illness there).

Vitamin D deficiency is becoming widespread, especially in children because of the overuse of sunscreens and it can cause behavioural problems, compromised immune systems, lethargy, inability to concentrate, memory problems etc.

We need sunshine to have happy, healthy lives. Sunscreen is not necessary every time the sun comes out although we have been 'scaremongered' into thinking it is.

As for the thyroid issues. You need to find out your free T3 levels as T4 doesnt tell you much on its own but a lot of labs dont test for that so its not that easy. You might be better off getting the test done yourself.

TSH levels on their own dont mean much either and a good endocrinologist will consider a patients symptoms as well as the TSH score. Someone who feels great on 3.2 probably wont need any treatment even though the levels may be classed as high whereas someone who presents with severe symptoms with levels at 2.2 may very well benefit from treatment.

However, most doctors are "number bound" and will always go by the score regardless of a patients symptoms and often insist that if the numbers are as they should be, then everything is ok.
Finding a doctor who really knows the ins and outs of thyroid issues is like finding gold.

Last edited by QuackQuackOops; 30-03-2012 at 1:26 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QuackQuackOops For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
kondormid
Old 30-03-2012, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I spend quite a lot of time in hospital and at the docs due to a bad operation a few years back so I can tell you exactly how docs treat information from patients that have looked on the net and made a diagnosis.

They do not mind at all, if you are wrong they will be able to tell you why. Or if something is more likely they will be able to tell you why. Best of all, it will generally send the conversation in a direction that can actually result in a better diagnosis.

What docs hate, and I have seen this done, is patients surfing the net to argue with them and telling the doc they are wrong.

The general public need to know that different conditions present themselves in different ways in different people. So give the doc the information you have including what you think it is, tell them why you think it might be this or that, and let them make the diagnosis. If the doc laughs at something you say do not take it personally, they are not mocking your intelligence but just the stuff the net sometimes kicks up. Like I said, all information helps in a diagnosis.

If my doc listed everyone who walked in with an internet suggestion as a hypo then he would have almost all his patients listed the same.

Last edited by kondormid; 30-03-2012 at 1:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kondormid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
FBaby
Old 31-03-2012, 8:01 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It sounds like you could also be low on iron and that would give you the symptoms of fatigue and dizziness. hopefully the vits he has include iron tablet. Vitamin d comes from exposure to the sun so get plenty of fresh air.
The Following User Says Thank You to FBaby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
Pthree
Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi

Thanks for all the advice so far.

The Vitamin D tablets he gave me were actually not as strong as the drops I bought, he also prescribed Folic Acid but not iron, my levels came back normal for that.

Not sure how long the vitamin D takes to kick in still feeling pretty !!!! at the moment, I am feeling so tired but cant sleep and have no energy at all, I am forcing myself to get out for walks to get some sunshine my then im knackered for the rest of the day.

Im getting behind at work and that gettimg me down too, I just want to curl up with my duvet the whole time but then if I do that I cant sleep. On the plus side I'm going home to Mum for 10 days next week, hopefully there will be lots of tlc, fresh air walking the dog etc and no work to worry about and also as she's in the country it gets really dark at night (im in London so even with blackout blinds there is always some light) I always sleep better there.

It cant come soon enough!

Will try and keep this thread updated as I know "something" is wrong, I just dont know what.

Again thanks for the advice.

P3
# 27
Pthree
Old 19-03-2013, 4:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I just wanted to update this thread as nothing has really changed nearly a year later.

When I went back to the Dr for another blood test after the three months, a (different) Doctor told me there was no need for one and gave me more vitamin D tablets and anti-depressants.

This has been going on for far too long, and nothing seems to have changed.

Would a private blood test help? How much would it cost, roughly?

Thanks P3
# 28
oopsadaisydoddle
Old 19-03-2013, 5:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I just wanted to update this thread as nothing has really changed nearly a year later.

When I went back to the Dr for another blood test after the three months, a (different) Doctor told me there was no need for one and gave me more vitamin D tablets and anti-depressants.

Thanks P3
I have a similar thread going - can't do links as on my phone but it's the underactive thyroid one! People have given Some great info on there!
The Following User Says Thank You to oopsadaisydoddle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
theoretica
Old 19-03-2013, 7:49 PM

Vitamin D tests are easily available to the public at 25 - I must get round to getting one.
http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk/

Just reread and think you are asking about thyroid tests- sorry.

I have been tested (negatively) for thyroid, coeliac, anaemia, B12 deficiency, liver, kidneys and general inflamation in case that gives you any ideas. I gathered these, except the B12 and perhaps coeliac are the standard blood tests for tracking down fatigue. I am cautiously optimistic after three weeks that going gluten free (despite the blood test for coeliac showing nothing) is doing something.
But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
Had the whole of their cash in his care.
Lewis Carroll

Last edited by theoretica; 19-03-2013 at 8:22 PM. Reason: expanded
The Following User Says Thank You to theoretica For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
Fire Fox
Old 20-03-2013, 7:08 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Ok so saw the Dr and after running through what was wrong he suggested the blood test and gave me some AD's which so far are doing nothing apart from making me feel worse at the moment.

I have had my test and got the results today, not sure I understand them all.

I have a Vit D deficieny the levels are very low and abnormal serum folate level (whatever that is?)

I really dont understand the thyroid results but it says they are normal.

Saw a different doctor AGAIN who told me everything was fine packed me off with some vitamins, told me to eat more fruit and veg and handed me my coat

I love F&V and have always eaten over the 5-a-day I dont get as much sunshine as I would like to but I live in the UK who does????

I wasnt expecting a miracle cure but more of a "ok we know its not that it so heres what we do next" sort of thing

I guess I just have to wait and see if the AD's kick now but I dont feel like anything has been resolved....

P3
But they have found something, deficiencies of two nutrients that are classed as essential to health and play key roles in numerous bodily processes. Different people absorb and process nutrients differently partly just how you are made also if you have an underlying health complaint. Do you have any digestive problems? Some antidepressants can also affect nutrient levels so again it's well worth eating a nutrient dense balanced diet.

The micronutrients are certainly are not all found in fruit and veggies you do need them all many work synergistically or in opposition. Folate is one of the B group vitamins. Good sources include yeast extract, liver, dark green veggies and fortified cereals.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Fol...hProfessional/

Bioavailable (absorbable) vitamin D is found in a few foods, particularly very oily fish like mackerel and herring plus egg yolks. Oily fish also supplies the long chain omega-3s which are nutrients essential to mental and physical health. Vitamin D is absorbed alongside magnesium and calcium.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vit...hProfessional/

Do also look at your mineral intake: plenty of beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, dairy products. Not saying this will cure you, but you clearly do need to attempt to treat the deficiencies and pills are great to get your levels back up but they don't address the issue longer term.
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.

Last edited by Fire Fox; 20-03-2013 at 7:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Fox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
moggymutt
Old 20-03-2013, 8:13 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had to have 3 days of very strong vit D (any longer is dangerous) to improve my calcium levels. Low calcium levels linked to me having strong gluten intolerance, I've been 99% gluten free for years, but now I have towatch for even tiny, tiny amounts of gluten in a product.
DONT BREED OR BUY WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE. GET YOUR ANIMALS NEUTERED TO SAVE LIVES.
# 32
skin care
Old 20-03-2013, 8:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hypochondriasis or hypochondria (sometimes referred to as health phobia or health anxiety) refers to excessive preoccupancy or worry about having a serious illness.
# 33
xXMessedUpXx
Old 21-03-2013, 6:57 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:

Thanks P3
I'm in the same boat and after a very frustrating doctors appointment today (she insisted cos my results were normal last time it couldnt possibly be my thyroid) i'm going to get myself tested privately , not that i can afford it, but this my health and that's kinf od important to me
"Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
weight lost: 14lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to xXMessedUpXx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
oopsadaisydoddle
Old 21-03-2013, 7:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skin care View Post
Hypochondriasis or hypochondria (sometimes referred to as health phobia or health anxiety) refers to excessive preoccupancy or worry about having a serious illness.
Not really sure the point of your post!

But...This was definitely me after I had the littlest Oops. Convinced I was going to die all the time. It was shockingly awful. I even had my funeral planned and wrote a letter for Mr Oops telling him to be happy when I'm gone.

Therapy and anti d's really sorted my out.

I think hypochondria is used commonly to mean being convinced there is something wrong, not necessarily serious.
# 35
busiscoming2
Old 22-03-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsadaisydoddle View Post
Not really sure the point of your post!

But...This was definitely me after I had the littlest Oops. Convinced I was going to die all the time. It was shockingly awful. I even had my funeral planned and wrote a letter for Mr Oops telling him to be happy when I'm gone.

Therapy and anti d's really sorted my out.

I think hypochondria is used commonly to mean being convinced there is something wrong, not necessarily serious.
Can I ask what sort of therapy you had?
# 36
oopsadaisydoddle
Old 22-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by busiscoming2 View Post
Can I ask what sort of therapy you had?
Of course, I had CBT arranged through my doc. I was also given (and still take) Citalopram.
The Following User Says Thank You to oopsadaisydoddle For This Useful Post: Show me >>