Right to travel expenses

My employer asked me to attend a meeting for which I occurred £90 of travel expenses but is refusing to pay me anything for the cost.

This was travelling from my normal place of work to the meeting and is just the amount of petrol used (not based on 0.45p / mile which would be a lot more).

Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Refuse to use your car to attend any more meetings. Just say it is no longer available. Go to your normal workplace plead poverty and get them to give you a travel voucher for public transport. Does your car cover you for using it in the course of your employment? Most insurance only covers commuting to/from your place of work. Taking this course of action may however lead to an early departure from your job though....but I would take a stand.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • johnmc
    johnmc Posts: 1,265 Forumite
    What does it say in your contract?

I have seen contracts where you are obliged to attend training or travel to customers / other branches at your own expense.
  • Chickola
    Chickola Posts: 25 Forumite
    I don't have a contract, but it is unusual for me to attend meetings (1 or 2 a year) and I have been reimbursed in the past.

I am due to be made redundant at the end of next month, I have been with the company 2.5 years. At the moment I really need my travel expenses back as things are dire financially. I won't need to attend any other meetings now off site.
  • RoxRoxBling
    RoxRoxBling Posts: 475 Forumite
    I don't actually think you do have a right to travel expenses, it's usually up to the individual employer.
    Save in 2013: #166: 9,122.51/[STRIKE]5,000[/STRIKE] 10,000
    Interest earned in 2014: £257.61 20/04/14
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Would you normally expect to get travel expenses?

Do others get travel expenses?

Time for a grievance?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »

Time for a grievance?

Would it be worth it in this case, as OP is out of the door in about 6 weeks.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Notmyrealname
    Notmyrealname Posts: 4,003 Forumite
    Chickola wrote: »
    My employer asked me to attend a meeting for which I occurred £90 of travel expenses but is refusing to pay me anything for the cost.

This was travelling from my normal place of work to the meeting and is just the amount of petrol used (not based on 0.45p / mile which would be a lot more).

Is there anything I can do?

Unless it states something in your contract, nothing.

Keep a record of the journey and the mileage done and claim via a P87 Expenses in Employment form at the end of this tax year. You will be refunded somewhere between zero and 40% of the amount depending on what your personal tax code is as it is applied as a reduction off your income rather than a lump sum so you get back the tax you've overpaid as a result.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    I don't actually think you do have a right to travel expenses, it's usually up to the individual employer.
    This is blanket advice, which may be strictly true, but out of context, it is misleading.

The employee only has a duty to attend the contracted place of work - and if expenses will not be paid, is entitled to sit at the place of work until the employer arranges transport to the meeting.

OP, in your case, given that expenses have been paid previously, I would be going back to management up the tree, asking for that £90 - and advising thta you only went on the understanding that you would be paid.

And I think I would be risking the fee to do moneyclaim on line, if I could show that the money had been paid previously. Of course if they told you nothing would be paid before you left, then the costs are down to you.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Out of interest, what is the reason they are giving for non-payment? Seems odd they have reimbursed you in the past but won't this time.
  • Judith_W
    Judith_W Posts: 754 Forumite
    Would you normally get full 45p allowance paid or only petrol cost? As you are being made redundant anyway I wouldn't have any qualms about causing a fuss about getting what you are owed. Do you have a staff handbook or policies about expenses?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure