Debt Collector - 4 Year Old Bill

Comments

• Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    One thing I missed first time around was how could you prove you paid the bill before you moved out ?
    If the property has a water meter then the account would close on the day you moved to a supplied read or an estimated read.
    As far as I am aware no one can bill you a final bill before you move as it means closing the account and taking final payment and that takes at least 7 days by post and that would leave the company in an odd position of trying to make sure you are actually moving etc.
    A lot of letting agents do require copies of paid final bills to get the deposit back but some seem not to take water bills as they are not charged against the property but remain with the customer.

I would see if your bank can provide a statement to show payments for that period.
    It might well be that as you were using the supply they can clam you are responsible for the bill and that as they have 6 years to chase the debt they may ask that you provide some documents to support your position.

Guess there is nothing to do but wait now and see how it goes..But good luck
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • ScruffyPofessor
    ScruffyPofessor Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 21 September 2009 at 4:27PM
    Hi charltonguy and others,

There is some information about Southbank Capital Limited that you may find interesting:

They do not have a consumer Credit license with the Office of Fair trading, so should not be engaged in debt collection activity.

They are also not registered as Data controllers with the Information Commissioners Office so are not legally entitled to process your or anyones personal details, for any purpose!

I have forwarded this info, (regarding my own dealings with Southbank), to the relevant agencies, Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and the Information Commissioner's Office, (ICO) and strongly urge any one else who can evidence them as trying to collect debts and processing data etc to also let them know.

I have a thread on another forum (consumer action group) which has some more info on how to verify this for yourself, and addresses of who to report it to with template letters etc. Don't Panic! I am not trying to hijack your thread or convert you to a different forum, just like this one you don't have to sign up to read, only if you want to make a post. I just wanted to make you aware without having to run duplicate threads.

I have been trying to find other people who are or have been subject to the unregulated and unlicensed activity of Southbank Capital, and encourage and where possible support, them to alert the OFT and ICO.

I'm sure you'll find the information interesting and useful. if you come across any one else on these forums who is or are involved with Southbank Capital please pass this on.

Here is the link:
    (As a new user it won't let me add functional links, so you'll have to cut and past it into your browser! but ad the www. first)
    consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/219009-southbank-capital-limited-unlicenced.html

With thanks,
    SP
  • Good Afternoon

I am a Trading Standards Officer working for Surrey County Council. I am looking into the case of Southbank Capital Ltd as described above. Please get in touch if you can provide me with evidence that Southbank is acting as a creditor - i.e. that they have bought debt that is now owed to them by consumers. My email address is [EMAIL="matthew.bickle@surreycc.gov.uk"]matthew.bickle@surreycc.gov.uk[/EMAIL].

Thanks
    Matthew
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2009 at 2:03PM
    Matthew whilst I know you are trying to be helpful you may need permission to post to make sure its legit

MSE TEAM PERMISSION: CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENTS

Company representatives are actively encouraged to post on the forum to provide good customer service to MoneySavers. They should not be using the opportunity to tout for business. We need to know in order to legitimise it. Where permission has been given for a company/person to specifically post there will be a note from the MSE Team. If someone has posted claiming to have been given permission but this has not been followed by a MSE team note please report it to [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • A reprensentative called earlier tonight, saying united utilities had no record of receiving a payment from us! We have never received a bill to pay and on ringing United Utilities, they have no record of the building (new builds built 6 yrs ago) with approx 150 apartments, with only one address being on the records. Have tried looking at what my rights are to no avail, and on finding ofwat a waste of time, have come here, so if anyone can provide some answers it would be greatly appreciated.

Mick
  • you can chase debt for 6 years
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    mickey77 wrote: »
    A reprensentative called earlier tonight, saying united utilities had no record of receiving a payment from us! We have never received a bill to pay and on ringing United Utilities, they have no record of the building (new builds built 6 yrs ago) with approx 150 apartments, with only one address being on the records. Have tried looking at what my rights are to no avail, and on finding ofwat a waste of time, have come here, so if anyone can provide some answers it would be greatly appreciated.

Mick

Welcome to the forum.

As said above, you really have no rights other than those under UK law pertaining to debt, which essentially means they can chase back debts for 6 years.

As it is a new build, all units should have been metered(compulsory since 1990) So somewhere there should be 150 meters.

I would think that it very doubtful that the water company would agree for there to be one meter which the managing agent paid and charged each unit, you are talking about an annual bill of around £60,000(£400 per unit). They would then charge each unit in their annual servicing charge.

What I find hard to believe is that 150 owners(more assuming a lot have changed hands) have all kept quiet about not paying water charges.

Something doesn't add up.
  • Am very new to this so bear with me, It took half hour for the rep to find the correct valve to our apartment, none of the valves he looked at had any meters on, am i correct in believing they should have one on? Not sure how many know/pay their bills.

mick:confused:
  • Hi Cardew and thanks

Not sure about the service charge and will look into that, but in all the valves the rep checked there were no meters on, were now bricking it as expect a huge bill, but as i know they cant disconnect us makes breathing easier! lol

mick
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    All new builds since 1990 should be metered and they normally wouldn't get planning permission to build without being metered(there are exceptions if they are conversions of a listed building - e.g. an old dockside warehouse.

If that was the case there would be one meter and, as stated above, the managing agents would pay and levy each flat, much like they do for electricity/heating in the 'common parts'. e.g. entrance, stairs etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure