PointShop cancel & block any payments?

My 12 year old has recently signed up for a subscription service called PointShop without my knowledge. I know this because i just got a confirmation email to tell me so :eek:

I immediately looked them up on google to see what they are all about and found warning after warning about them taking £45 from bank accounts, sometimes even months later after the account has been cancelled. I have looked all over the website for cancellation information and it says you cannot cancel before 24 hours is up, so i will do that tomorrow, although i have read horror stories about users being unable to cancel through the site. I also emailed the support email. The only telephone number is foreign and i believe they are in poland.

Is there a way to block my bank from allowing them to take any payments out?

Please let me know if you have any experience of this company. Everything i have read has made me extremely worried :(

Thank you
The only thing we know for sure, is that we know nothing

Comments

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Cancel your card may suffice.
  • burnlyf
    burnlyf Posts: 77 Forumite
    Hi, he must of signed up to the VIP service to get the free gift. I think it's £1 for the first 14 days then £45 a month after that.

If you unsubscribe before the 14 days are up they shouldn't take any more money out.

It tells you how to cancel VIP here http://www.pointshop.co.uk/helpdesk/ticket_v3.asp?step=2&category=7&categoryName=VIP%20membership

HTH.
  • Thank you both. I have cancelled the VIP service on the website and had a confirmation email to say they will refund. However I am still worried since i read that others have done exactly this, and yet still been charged again, sometimes as far as 7 months down the line! I will speak to my bank tomorrow about changing the card and hope that does the trick.

Thank you
    The only thing we know for sure, is that we know nothing
  • has the site gone down?
  • I think I've been scammed again - signed up for the angry birds offer on Monday and now can't get back onto the site to cancel. best get onto the bank. How can I be so gullible???
  • Just found out I can't cancel through my bank as its a guaranteed payment. What a joke! Have cancelled my card and they've given me a phone no to call - 004598116450 which goes through to a german recorded message.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jeccymail wrote: »
    004598116450 which goes through to a german recorded message.
    I suspect it's Danish, based on the country code.
  • johnburge
    johnburge Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 12 February 2012 at 9:28AM
    I responded to a TESCO offer on facebook offering a Braun electric toothbrush for £1 in return for responding to a market research questionaire. Then without warning I discovered that Pointshop had seemingly taken over the site and I had unwittingly committed myself to paying them £45 per month. This must be illegal by any stretch of the imagination. I've now got to wait for 24hrs before I can hopefully unsubscribe on line.

Incidentally, I have notified TESCO that their site or name is being used in this scam, or, perhaps they are part of it !!
  • I've just had this same thing happen! It's left me with no money in my account :( had to run down to my friends this morning to borrow money for the bus to work!! Going to phone my bank at lunchtime and see what they say :(
    .•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:Scottish & proud of it! .•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:
  • I've also been stung by Pointshop's unfair "membership" scheme. Please all if you are considering going on this website, PLEASE make sure that you unsubscribe immediately after getting what you want.

I went on the site to see what it was all about. I'm in a few points websites and all are great - I use them to do tasks and surveys and try and buy presents for people as I have little cash. I went on Pointshop, had a look around over a couple of days I think and decided I didn't like it, that it wasn't for me and didn't ever go back on it again. I have bought nothing from Point shop, not logged on, nor collected points - have been "paying" without knowledge for absolutely nothing.

That was November time and I'd forgotten that it existed to be honest. HOWEVER Today my card was declined on an account that holds my emergency funds and direct debits. I don't use this account anymore and therefore had no reason to be monitoring it. The same DD's go out monthly and I occasionally use it for topping up my mobile. That's it. It held my savings. They've bled me dry to the tune of £180ish.

I don't even remember filling in my card details - I'm fairly trusting and have never been ripped off before. Pointshop presented as an established company with slick advertising, promotions and good website.

This kind of "membership ploy" is very alien to me. If I purchase things on the internet I am used to companies being transparent and honest - using baskets and pressing "confirm" with the money amounts on the screen and companies being absolutely clear what I am buying and how much for. This is honest trading. I'm used to getting reciepts for payments, emails confirming your orders etc and all these things ensure you have a good internet trading experience.

This company use your card details as a POS transaction until you decided to tell them to stop!!!!!! . If you didn't realise what they were going to do, and aren't checking your bank accounts then the company can keep taking money until you notice what is going on. You have no email notifications of withdrawals made, and as such it is conducted very sneakily.

I've cancelled my card - went on the account tonight and cancelled the membership and complained. They don't care - even though they can see that I haven't used the account. They just told me it was all in writing and all the links they put in the email don't work.

Am going through my bank's fraud team and the disputes. I doubt I'll get anywhere as the company are clearly counting on people like me forgetting to unsubscribe or trusting people not to charge you for things that you aren't using or haven't asked for. I'll be much more careful in future.

I am sharing my woes not for sympathy or any of those horrid "serves you right for being stupid" comments, but to warn all out there not to make the same mistake that I did.

AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure