Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

Comments

• The TFL Freedom pass is only available to those in receipt of a State Pension. Over 60's get a TFL Consession pass and can only be used in London. The Freedom pass can be used nationwide. I currently will have to wait until I'm 64 to get the TFL Freedom pass.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It would be great if somebody could update the info into a consolidated list, but I think that task would be difficult!

I checked the first few posts but some are sadly out of date. For example:
  • I've just renewed my membership with National Trust - I have been a member for 21 years - and as I am now 60, the membership fee was reduced from c£55pa to c£37pa, but I think you may have to have been a member for over 5 years (possibly longer).
  • If you're 60 or over and love visiting family and friends or taking day trips and short breaks, our Senior Coachcard offers a great way to save 1/3 on standard fares to hundreds of towns, cities and airports across the UK, plus other great new benefits.

How much will I save?
    You'll save a guaranteed 1/3 on standard fares throughout the UK for 12 months. With the Coachcard, there are no restrictions on peak and off peak travel times, so you can travel when it suits you and your plans. This includes public holidays, bank holidays and weekends.
    Purchasing your Senior Coachcard is quick and easy, Simply complete your details and your Coachcard will be posted to your home address (£1.50 p&p will be added to your purchase).

Your Coachcard can take up to 7 days to be delivered and if it hasn't arrived 24 hours ahead of your planned journey, then call our Contact Centre.

Alternatively, give us a call and we will post your Coachcard out to you (£1.50 p&p will be added to your purchase) or purchase from one of our ticket outlets.

£15 [max] day return on Tuesdays

Now that we can plan ahead and get amazingly cheap tail fares, coach travel is nolonger the self evidently cheap alternative, but sometimes it is possible to make cross country journeys on routes where rail cannot begin to compete.

[Short term offer do not delay]

http://www.nationalexpress.com/waystosave/senior-coachcard-750.aspx?utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17_nov_13_sccprospoffer
  • JoolsToo
    JoolsToo Posts: 176 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    You can get concessions at cinema's etc.

Its your signature I'm interested in! :Shakes McKneff by the hand:

aitch not haitch too!
  • asrampd
    asrampd Posts: 2 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Could this be checked - some links are out of date and so I suspect are some of the available savings.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    asrampd wrote: »
    Could this be checked - some links are out of date and so I suspect are some of the available savings.

Welcome to the board.
    Your suggestion should keep you busy for a while.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I decided not to renew my NT ticket and went instead for English Heritage on the May Day Bank Holiday.On my ticket I have four of my grandsons and my DD as my 'carer' as I am registered disabled.It cost me £39.00 for a year and so far we have been to Battle Abbey Upnor Castle,Rochester Castle Walmer,Deal and Dover Castles all of which have cost nothing so 5-6 days out which with a packed up picnic and a flask has cost nothing So pretty good value I think.Yesterday we spent at Dover castle with the boys and came home not having spent a sou :):):) I just love freebie days out .
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's always worth asking small businesses if they can offer discounts for seniors. I took the cat to the vet today and there was a new notice offering 10% off for over 60s on Wednesdays for routine things like vaccinations. The receptionist helpfully suggested I could take the cat back on Wednesday but I declined, one trip was enough!

There is an alpaca park somewhere near us and they offer discounts for OAWs (Older And Wiser)
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You don't always have to wait for an offer; I was at the deli counter in tesco, what I wanted was weighed and the server said "anything else?" "A discount" I queried, it was gone six and he just tapped the keys and 40% knocked off. Just for asking. OH cringed with embarassment:embarasse
    The only thing that is constant is change.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback