Drowning in debt

Comments

• Also I have ZERO money available. I've no way of finding £680 for bankruptcy!

So basically I have to just live with it?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Jeffiner84 wrote: »
    Also I have ZERO money available. I've no way of finding £680 for bankruptcy!

So basically I have to just live with it?

Well no you dont, you must be proactive if you ever want to get out of this situation, you can try and save the money from any creditor payments you normally make, or try and cut back to the bone on other things for one month in order to get the fee together.

On paper you have £1200 a month coming in.

You can also apply for grants, or some charities can help with the Bankruptcy fees, check here :

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • C.M.
    C.M. Posts: 79 Forumite
    To get the money for bankruptcy you need to stop paying your creditors. Pay only essentials - ie rent, council tax and utilities

Cancel all direct debits, write (don't call) to your creditors, advising you are in financial distress and are taking advice on a way forward - they have to treat you fairly.

Redirect the money you would have been paying them to saving the 680 for bankruptcy.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Is NaN your nan or is that a company? You cannot include family debts within your bankruptcy debts so £8669 will not be included. An IVA is cheaper I think than going bankrupt and is not so bad on your credit rating.

Can you move to somewhere smaller or cheaper and not pay anything towards your debts and ask them to accept nominal payments while you sort yourself out? If you took out debts because your flatmate was not paying rent I would not be giving him a roof.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Quite honestly I wouldn't pay any of the credit cards or loans & use the money to go bankrupt. Have you defaulted on any of them yet?
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi, it is completely impossible for you to make even the minimum payments on your debts so soldiering on is not an option you have unfortunately.

Stop paying your debts (keep paying your rent, council tax and utilities) and use the advice you are given here and from a free debt charity to decide what to do.

Tlc
  • bobcat2
    bobcat2 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is NaN your nan or is that a company? You cannot include family debts within your bankruptcy debts so £8669 will not be included. An IVA is cheaper I think than going bankrupt and is not so bad on your credit rating.

I think NaN may be Not a Number...?
  • sourcrates

An IVA would not be suitable as when you look at the OP's "real" budget, in reality, they do not have anything left for debt repayment at month end.
    IVA fees can be Hugh, and are paid from the monthly repayment, so again not enough disposable income, also any form of insolvency is bad for your credit file regardless of which option is chosen.

When you break it all down, Bankrupcy is the best and only way to deal with it correctly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Can you move to somewhere smaller or cheaper and not pay anything towards your debts and ask them to accept nominal payments while you sort yourself out? If you took out debts because your flatmate was not paying rent I would not be giving him a roof.

Family debts are included in a bankruptcy, all unsecured debt is
  • sourcrates
    JCS1 wrote: »
    Family debts are included in a bankruptcy, all unsecured debt is

The following debts will not be cleared by a bankruptcy. You’ll need to keep paying these.

Child maintenance arrears, if the arrangement was set by the CSA or Child Maintenance Service
    Criminal fines, compensation orders and victim surcharges from a magistrates’ court or Crown Court
    Debts you take out after the date of your bankruptcy order
    Debts taken out fraudulently, for example benefit fraud
    Mortgages and other debts secured against your home, if you want to keep the house
    Social Fund loans
    Student loans
    TV Licence arrears
    Court orders telling you to pay compensation to someone for personal injury
    Payments ordered by a court as part of family proceedings, for example in divorce cases
    Apart from a few other rare exceptions, all other debts will be written off by bankruptcy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure