AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Comments

• penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    We aren't married but have lived together for a long time plus kids. So, any point me trying to get breakdown cover with them? It questions the difference in our surnameonline , so just wondering if I just changed my name to his that they won't care?

I think you have to send your marriage certificate to both get covered.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We aren't married but have lived together for a long time plus kids. So, any point me trying to get breakdown cover with them? It questions the difference in our surnameonline , so just wondering if I just changed my name to his that they won't care?

You can call yourself anything you like if there is no intention to deceive.
    However if I understand correctly you are proposing mis-representing your marital status to save about £40.
    The consequences are not getting breakdown cover or much worse having to declare FOREVER that you've had insurance cancelled.
    This stops you using on line interfaces and you'll have to admit you tried to deceive an insurance company which puts you in an extremely bad position.

They might never find out, but IMO the consequences are to serious to do this to save about £40.
    Hope that helps.
  • lisyloo
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    I have been with Autoaid for several years and they have been great, however I renewed with them in May and the experience was terrible.

After many years of not needing them, I had to call them twice in the past year, first for a dud battery, then a starter motor problem. They were incredibly helpful.

However the renewal process was dire. They wanted me to pay by cheque, but I no longer had a chequebook so tried to renew online. That never recognised my account number and wouldn't allow renewal. So I called, and called, and called. In total spent over two hours trying to get through. No answer. I even tried calling the breakdown number, they were great but unable to get through.

In the end I had to buy a new policy, which was a couple of pounds more expensive as I needed to renew cover(this had been going on for a couple of weeks and was running out of time).

Disappointed with news of the company who has taken over. Will probably not renew next year, too much hassle and no guarantee of same quality of service going forward.

Wouldn't it have been easier to ask your bank for a cheque book?

But thanks for the heads up.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 July 2016 at 1:24PM
    Renewed this month on line no problems although it did take a week for the certificate e-mail to come through. Renewal invite 4th, renewed 6th - confirmation e-mail immediate, certificate 14th.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Wouldn't it have been easier to ask your bank for a cheque book?

But thanks for the heads up.

With hindsight probably. I know that they have undergone a change of management and wonder if my renewal (end of May) coincided with a key period in this. Either way it was a bl**dy nightmare!

Just don't leave it until the last minute!
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2016 at 9:52AM
    Well after receiving a letter saying my breakdown will be renewed, I have still not had any confirmation by post or email so I have tried to phone them. And phone them. And phone them. And phone them with no answer.

I have emailed a few times. No answer.

I will now have to look elsewhere for my breakdown cover as they are hopeless.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Anyone ? Still heard nothing from Auto Aid (or not Aid as the case may be)
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think you have to send your marriage certificate to both get covered.
    We never had to do that (when we joined years ago).
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • lisyloo
    Anyone ? Still heard nothing from Auto Aid (or not Aid as the case may be)

Yep, I got an email, paid on line, then a while later got the documents through in email.
  • I renewed in May without any issues and have used them for years. They have been excellent every time I have had to use them but looking at the reviews of the company that have just taken them over I am not confident that things will run smoothly in future.

I will be keeping my eye on any recent reviews
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure