Advertised rates are a con - HSBC

Options
mgrowe
mgrowe Posts: 12 Forumite
Hye,

I applied for a loan from HSBC last week and they advertise a typical APR of 3.3%. First they turned me down (I was very surprised as I have a high credit score and no missed payments on anything), Then I got another email saying they would give me the loan but at a different rate. Came through in the post today and it has leaped to 8.4%.
I consider myself to be a good risk so I think it was a rate advertised to draw me in then the rate over doubles.
I will not be pursuing the loan with them at that rate and my new car can wait a bit longer. Anyone else had similar experiences?

I know they take every case individually but it seems a bit of a con to me.

Comments

• Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mgrowe wrote: »
    I consider myself to be a good risk

Sounds like they disagree and seeing as they are the one doing the lending they get the final call.

Typical rates quoted have to be given to 51% of successful applicants, you made the other 49%
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No, HSBC advertise loans with a representative APR of 3.3%, not a typical APR. The representative rate has to be offered to 51% of successful applicants, you are one of the 49%. The meaning of "representative APR" has been discussed numerous times on this board before.

Who says you have a high credit score? Have HSBC told you that they rate you highly? Is the "high credit score" from one of the credit reference agencies, none of whom lend money and generate credit scores that no lenders uses?
  • ryanm8655
    ryanm8655 Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had the same experience with HSBC but as above really...

The annoying thing for me was the fact I bank with them and having got a quote online I was told 5.9%, yet when I applied properly it went up to 16.9% and an option to accept/decline.

I get that the advertised rate isn't necessarily what you'll get but when you bank with them and already have a loan with them, to quote 5.9% and then for it to leap to 16.9% seems a bit off (I did it through online banking).

August 2019: £28.8k

November 2020: £0 (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Well obviously you'd be a better judge of your own risk profile than a lender advancing £billions in unsecured credit each year.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,622 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ryanm8655 wrote: »
    I get that the advertised rate isn't necessarily what you'll get but when you bank with them and already have a loan with them, to quote 5.9% and then for it to leap to 16.9% seems a bit off (I did it through online banking).

it was probably affordability then - you already have one loan and now you want more. That would ring some warning bells rather than make you a good bet
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mgrowe wrote: »
    I was very surprised as I have a high credit score and no missed payments on anything

Means absolutely diddly squat. That's not how a lender credit profiles you.
    I know they take every case individually but it seems a bit of a con to me.

Until you make a formal application they don't have all the data to hand. They need your permission to access it. Once they have the data then they can appraise you fully.

Like a job interview. The offer is subject to references.
  • ryanm8655
    ryanm8655 Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    it was probably affordability then - you already have one loan and now you want more. That would ring some warning bells rather than make you a good bet
    But it was consolidation, a chunk of it went on the other HSBC loan as soon as I accepted (I couldn't avoid paying they took it automatically), it seemed a bit sneaky to me, it wasn't the advertised rate, it was a rate based on my circumstances and if it hadn't enticed me with a lower rate than I was currently paying I wouldn't have bothered applying.

Anyway...live and learn...

August 2019: £28.8k

November 2020: £0 (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

• tidds
    tidds Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Consolidation loans never get a good rate.
  • JJG
    JJG Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tidds wrote: »
    Consolidation loans never get a good rate.

That's an untrue statement.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Well, HSBC, the criminal bank, what more can you expect? They are proven money launderers and sharp practice obviously pervades their entire operation. Yes, clearly a ploy to hook people. Some will take the bait, I'm glad you didn't. They'll have worked out the likely profitability of their sneaky approach and come to the conclusion that it's worth doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure