First Holiday Abroad Goody Bag

Hi all

My lovely workmate is going on her first holiday abroad to Turkey and I was going to buy her a little thing to take.

I was going to do a small goody bag/box but I'm struggling for ideas.

I will put her sweets in to suck on the plane. She's not really into puzzles so don't want to get her any puzzle books.

I'm not overly sure of toiletries as the mini ones really aren't worth the money.

I might pop into Poundland and look at things like luggage tags, adaptor and neck pillows (things that are maybe more useful than exciting), but any ideas will be welcome?

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Neck pillows are a waste of money - especially as a flight to turkey isnt very long (4 hours ish). Luggage tags just fall off, especially the ones pound shops sell.

I would probably get her some basic words in turkish (google/pinterest) printed out, as well as maybe a map of her destination and some recommendations from tripadvisor of places to go (food/drink/places of interest). Most people also buy sweets and bits at the airport mostly out of boredom, as the 2-3 hours wait is always fun.

Also, you seem like this would have to go in her hand luggage - some carriers only give 5kg, so you may be taking up valuable space; I would stick with something she can put in her hold luggage, non-bulky and not heavy - or as an alternative, something she can have before she goes - maybe a night before kit with some relaxing bits, toiletries, skincare etc?
  • VintageBelle
    VintageBelle Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    Neck pillows are a waste of money - especially as a flight to turkey isnt very long (4 hours ish). Luggage tags just fall off, especially the ones pound shops sell.

I would probably get her some basic words in turkish (google/pinterest) printed out, as well as maybe a map of her destination and some recommendations from tripadvisor of places to go (food/drink/places of interest). Most people also buy sweets and bits at the airport mostly out of boredom, as the 2-3 hours wait is always fun.

Also, you seem like this would have to go in her hand luggage - some carriers only give 5kg, so you may be taking up valuable space; I would stick with something she can put in her hold luggage, non-bulky and not heavy - or as an alternative, something she can have before she goes - maybe a night before kit with some relaxing bits, toiletries, skincare etc?

Like the ideas about Turkish phrases and words and good places to go and eat etc.

Cheers :)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If she has hold luggage then I would suggest a very bright luggage strap so that she can identify her case on the carousel.
    There's a BOGOF deal here for woven strap with name (it is the thing I used more than anything else!) which means it is certainly her case! (You can order with 2 different names)
    https://www.able-labels.co.uk/luggage-straps-buy-one-get-one-free.html

The squishy bean bag type pillows are great- especially if she is flying at some anti-social hour

I have a really handy stretchy travel washing line- it's twisted elastic so doesn't need pegs- again a much travelled item. From about £2.50 when I googled.

If she is somebody who gets easily bitten by bugs then an 'insect bite zapper' is great. Boots & Superdrug used to sell them. About £5
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound wrote: »
    If she has hold luggage then I would suggest a very bright luggage strap so that she can identify her case on the carousel.
    There's a BOGOF deal here for woven strap with name (it is the thing I used more than anything else!) which means it is certainly her case! (You can order with 2 different names)
    https://www.able-labels.co.uk/luggage-straps-buy-one-get-one-free.html

The squishy bean bag type pillows are great- especially if she is flying at some anti-social hour

I have a really handy stretchy travel washing line- it's twisted elastic so doesn't need pegs- again a much travelled item. From about £2.50 when I googled.

If she is somebody who gets easily bitten by bugs then an 'insect bite zapper' is great. Boots & Superdrug used to sell them. About £5

Brilliant, thank you. Hadn't thought about the luggage strap :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure