The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Please help 'How much will cost to install gas central heating?'

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    rfem wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just had a quote of £4,200 to install gas central heating in my second floor flat. On top of this I would have to pay for the gas connection (about £400) plus more to get the connection from the ground floor to the flat. And then radiators on tops of that. It all seems quite daunting, as the waiting time for the gas connection is about 8 weeks and I can't move until the renovation work, including heating, is completed so in the meantime I'm paying rent as well as a mortgage. I was also quote another £4,200 to get a new combi boiler installed. Any advice on a reasonably priced corgi engineer in the London area, or tips on getting gas central heating and combi boiler installed generally, would be very welcome!

Is this a leasehold flat? Have you confirmed with the freeholder or managing agents that you are allowed to get a gas connection to the property? Most flats don't have gas for very good reason - if one flat doesn't bother servicing their system the whole lot could go up ...
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Hi,I am also based in Leeds and planning to get central heating fitted in my house, can I get detail of your company/supplier who did the work for you please.
    salbot wrote: »
    Hi, I just had central heating fitted. 10 radiators (4 bed house) and a boiler, including fitting etc. £3900. I had cheaper quotes but went with the company I was most impressed with. I am based in Leeds so the price may vary depending on where you live.

Thanks
    Salbot
    ps. I don't think you could pay in installments.
  • salbot wrote: »
    Hi, I just had central heating fitted. 10 radiators (4 bed house) and a boiler, including fitting etc. £3900. I had cheaper quotes but went with the company I was most impressed with. I am based in Leeds so the price may vary depending on where you live.

Thanks
    Salbot
    ps. I don't think you could pay in installments.

Who was this with and did they stick to budget/times etc? Looking for a GOOD company in leeds.
    Thanks
    Ruth
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    If you PM me I can give you the number of a good installer in Leeds.

Without seeing your home, anything up to £5k could be good.

Gas connection will be anything from £600 ish upwards, on top of any quote, depending how far they have to go to get to the gas mains in the street.
  • gas4you wrote: »
    If you PM me I can give you the number of a good installer in Leeds.

Without seeing your home, anything up to £5k could be good.

Gas connection will be anything from £600 ish upwards, on top of any quote, depending how far they have to go to get to the gas mains in the street.

Hi, is this the minimum price I can expect for installation? There is gas in the street and I'm sure it only about 6 meters on my private land they would have to dig so do I pay the same installation fee as someone having <=40m? like it says on the National Grid website. Also worth noting I am in North Wales nr Chester.
    Thanks for your time...
  • Just incased you missed it, Home Plumbing and heating has a recent news article about the costs of boiler installations.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    GazHeaven wrote: »
    Hi, is this the minimum price I can expect for installation? There is gas in the street and I'm sure it only about 6 meters on my private land they would have to dig so do I pay the same installation fee as someone having <=40m? like it says on the National Grid website. Also worth noting I am in North Wales nr Chester.
    Thanks for your time...

Impossible to say if this is the minimum price you could be quoted or not.

Those figures were just a fair approximation for the other poster.

Prices vary by many different factors, including what area of the counrty you compare.
  • Hi All,

I need to get my parents gas central heating changed out. They have a boiler in the back bedroom and looking to get a new combi boiler moved into the Kitchen.

Any advice or local firms to recommend?

Thanks

Brian
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    farrebri wrote: »
    Hi All,

I need to get my parents gas central heating changed out. They have a boiler in the back bedroom and looking to get a new combi boiler moved into the Kitchen.

Any advice or local firms to recommend?

Thanks

Brian

Since you do not give location no-one can recommend a local firm. Look in CheckATrade, that is one source of reliable firms.

You'll have to pay to have the old boiler and hot water tank removed, and a new combi fitted, along with pipe rework. You'll also have to move the gas line and point. Ring 3 or 4 people and get quotes, some will give a rough estimate over the phone, a visit will be more accurate. You'll have to make sure the combi is powerful enough for your needs i.e. radiators and bathrooms.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Despondent
    Despondent Posts: 31 Forumite
    I have gas central heating with a fireback boiler. As my boiler is quite old now I need to have it replaced some time soon, I think my radiators need updating too. I would also like radiators in my two attic bedrooms but my water tank is on the first floor so I understand that i will have to have this moved, possibly to the loft space. I have five bedrooms in total which includes the attic rooms, a living room and kitchen and a landing on the first floor. Can someone advise me as to whether it would be more economical to have a different kind of boiler and give me some idea of cost. Also is it possible to get a grant towards the work if you are a pensioner? Thanks for any help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure