Sainsburys advertise store as having parking but it's not free

Options
I am annoyed that I viewed the details of a Sainsburys store on their website and it said the store had "parking". However when I visited the store the only parking was in a municipal car park which made a charge and there was no facility for having the charge refunded in store. I have complained to Sainsburys but they refuse to amend their website. Surely all stores could say they have parking, whether on-street, meter or chargeable car park, but I would assume if the store advertises parking that means it is free to customers. Could I have views, please?

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use a different Sainsburys ?
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps it varies in different areas of the country, but unless it advertised free parking I would not assume it was going to be free. Saying the shop has parking is, in my view, meant to let you know that you won't be fighting for street parking, it's nothing to do with the cost.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it was in a town or city centre I wouldn't automatically assume it's free. The one near me is, but for the Sainsburys in the centre of the towns where my Mum and sister live the adjacent parking facilities are payable municipal multi-stories.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One of the Sainsburys about 15 miles away - where I used to go to school and now meet up with friends the car park is council owned. You get two hours free parking if you spend £5. Just show the refund bit of your pay n display ticket and get it in coins
  • societys_child
    Options
    :huh: I don't get it. They advertise "parking", and there is parking.
    but I would assume if the store advertises parking that means it is free to customers.
    Why do you assume that?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

They list it as a "customer facility" you can find "in [...] store".

Obviously, I wouldn't expect the car parking to be physically "in [...] store", however, I would expect a facility described as such to be offered by Sainsburys and not something that's simply in the area.

Many Sainsburys stores boast they have a restaurant, toilets, baby change facilities, induction loop and self checkout.

Would you "get it" if you visited a Sainsbury store and were directed to a local Pizza Hut when you enquired about the restaurant and toilet facilities they advertised? :huh:
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Why do you assume that?

I agree. Shopping centres (and many other places) will often just say parking on their website without specifying that you need to pay.

IME many supermarket car parks in town centres have a fee. I am finding that a lot of out-of-town ones are also starting to do that to stop people leaving their cars there all day.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    By your logic if they advertise a facility then it should be free , would you expect the coffee shop or foreign exchange facilities to be free too? If not, why not?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    They list it as a "customer facility" you can find "in [...] store".

Obviously, I wouldn't expect the car parking to be physically "in [...] store", however, I would expect a facility described as such to be offered by Sainsburys and not something that's simply in the area.

Many Sainsburys stores boast they have a restaurant, toilets, baby change facilities, induction loop and self checkout.

Would you "get it" if you visited a Sainsbury store and were directed to a local Pizza Hut when you enquired about the restaurant and toilet facilities they advertised? :huh:

how do you know the OP saw it listed as a customer facility?

not that it really makes ant difference it listed parking which it has, it didnt list free parking for obvious reasons
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    If a hotel advertised themselves as near a Motorway but it was a toll one would you expect them to pay the toll for you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure