HP notebook, problem with realtek adapter

Comments

• wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Lorian wrote: »
    This is the latest HP version of the driver for that model 2023.15.701.2015 :

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72517.exe

It says I have this file on my computer, am I ok to over right this?
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    I presume that notebook has an Ethernet port? If yes then plug a cable in and connect the PC to the router that way.

Then go to Device Manager, find the wifi adapter, uninstall it (including the driver when asked), use the Scan for Hardware Changes option in the Action menu and let Windows download, install and configure the wifi adapter.

Hopefully that might sort things.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    It says I have this file on my computer, am I ok to over right this?

Yes, but probably means you already downloaded it. Good starting point will be to run this though anyway. then look in Device mgr and see if they Yellow marked unknown device has gone away.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    as that download is an exe file , I would suggest deleting the half loaded driver and running that exe file , that "should" install the correct driver
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • wifeforlife
    Just want to quickly update you all. I'm very appreciative of you all helping

Due to work tonight is the first opportunity I've had back with the laptop, so I've done all of the above and it's running wifi no problem, we will see how long it lasts, hopefully that'll be it fixed.

Here's hoping!!
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Some HP laptops have an issue with the WiFi card being sited just a bit too close to the processor - Which exposes it to more heat than is advisable and eventually fries it. Intermittent operation is IME one of the first signs of impending total failure.

Thankfully replacement cards are fairly easy to source cheaply so maybe try changing it - Its not at all difficult and a restart will find all the software/install the card if you are connected by ethernet cable. :)

If you don't fancy changing the card yourself, little USB wifi dongles can be got online very cheaply - often for under a fiver and although slower than the card, they will get you connected again easily.
  • wifeforlife
    Sorry for rehashing this again - -just to say the wifi stopped working within hours the last time you all kindly helped

So I bought a TP wireless adapter in Argos for £10 - it has worked perfectly until last Monday night - not the wireless adapter isn't working either

I'm heading to buy a new laptop today - definitely not HP and a guy in my work is going to see if there is anything he can do to fix it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi

Whatever you try may encounter problems, and it seems unlikely that you are subject to interference. But a plug in adapter to show the same symptoms is very unusual.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com
    http://www.ceeandbeetee.uk/home.html

Frequency clashes are problematic, nearby Wi-Fi set-ups can be on the same frequency & channel. This can cause connection issues with quality & consistency of signal. Moving closer to the router, moving/changing the Wi-Fi channel or moving/changing the Frequency, typically choose between 2.4 Ghz & 5.0 Ghz (& there may be the option for 3.6Ghz), using inSSIDer to find the clearest channel.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry for rehashing this again - -just to say the wifi stopped working within hours the last time you all kindly helped

So I bought a TP wireless adapter in Argos for £10 - it has worked perfectly until last Monday night - not the wireless adapter isn't working either

I'm heading to buy a new laptop today - definitely not HP and a guy in my work is going to see if there is anything he can do to fix it.
    OP are you sure it's the Realtek adapter you're having problems with? I have an HP Probook and the Realtek driver relates to the ethernet controller. The Wifi adapter is Ralink.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Problem is, you might buy a new laptop and continue to have problems, unless you know the root cause.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure