PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Milton Sterilising fluid

Options

Comments

• mafield
    Options
    I use sterilising fluid diluted in a watering can to keep algae off the decking of a holiday home. Also good for paving slab stains. Used regularly keeps them looking new.
    Careful on coloured paving, do not use too strong a solution, as you could bleach out some colour.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I also use sterilising fluid (not Milton as it is too expensive), I either buy Wilkos own brand but that has changed and is now a bit pricey (it used to be about 79p) but I am going to get a litre bottle of the stuff from Harrisons (a local pound type shop near me) and they sell it for £1 (in a large blue bottle). I tend to use it for sterilising and cleaning my dish cloth (this cuts down on waste as I have a re-usable one and when it gets to the point where I can no longer sterilise it then I ditch it).
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lady not long ago told me that she in fact douches with Milton! Never tried it myself.:eek:
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• danih
    danih Posts: 454 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    EEEUUUUWWWWWW thats not good for your body!. plenty of clean warm water very regularly and a teeny bit of soap is more then enough for down there. Douching with Milton is bound to cause problems!

My legs staying crossed for a long while :(
    :j got married 3rd May 2013 :beer:
  • bebedoggie
    Options
    I hate to disappoint everyone, but Tesco's no longer sell the 1000ml bottles only the 500ml ones. l have been using this for the last 40 odd years, a really useful product for all the things you've all been discussing and more. The large bottle was only a few pence more than the smaller one so was a really good buy, now l'm damned if l'll pay nearly as much for half the quantity. Can't find anywhere else that sells the larger bottle though, l wonder why! Please let me know if any of you know of anywhere that does.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Asda shows online as selling the 1 litre bottle. If you check other supermarkets which are close to you online, you'll be able to see what's available. Have you tried using own brand tablets instead of fluid as they work out cheaper than the fluid.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I always have some in for making sure jars for my jam etc are properly sterilised. useful for getting bloodstains out too. otherwise I am of the school of thought 'a peck of dirt never hurt nobody'. I think you can be 'too clean'.
  • mikedej
    mikedej Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Does anybody know if Milton solution is any good (ie not poisonous) for cleaning dentures?
  • Haffiana
    Haffiana Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Milton would not be poisonous, but it isn't actually a cleaning product. You would need to clean the dentures first, and then use the Milton to either disinfect or (if you use it the way it is meant to be used on babies bottles) sterilise them.

In short, it will kill germs, but it won't clean a dirty item!
  • scroogemcbuck
    Options
    you have that completely backwards. peroxide is not bleach. milton is bleach. and they both are antiviral antibacterial and antifungal. hydrogen peroxide will degrade into water and oxegen, and sodium hypochloride will break down into toxic residues, only a few so quite safe to use on bottles for babies, but still you are creating a toxic residue, toilet bleach uses the same stuff only in higher percentage so it is not safe to use, and is not food grade, ie can contain other toxic crap in it that you dont want your baby to drink the residue of. watering down household toilet bleach is not a subsititute for food grade milton or other brands of food safe hypochloride. but dont mistake it is indeed bleach. household food grade less strong, but still bleach. peroxide is not bleach and it will kill all the same things leaving only water and oxygen as a byproduct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure