Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jrck2
    • By jrck2 7th Dec 17, 10:37 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 7Thanks
    jrck2
    Applied for a job which didn't exist!
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:37 PM
    Applied for a job which didn't exist! 7th Dec 17 at 10:37 PM
    Hello,

My wife recently applied for a job in the civil service. An external vacancy was advertised openly on the internet, and said they were looking to fill 12 posts.

She applied, did online tests, wrote competency answers, prepared for an interview, took a day off work to travel to the interview (it went very well, we were feeling pretty hopeful), and then she didn't hear anything for a while.

After she chased it up a couple of times, they emailed to say that "the Department have recently reviewed recruitment activity across the organisation, and as a result have paused many live vacancies." They offered "apologies you did not receive the outcome you were seeking" but nothing else. At the interview she had been told they had 25 posts to fill, but a few weeks later, they didn't want any!

Now we're feeling pretty cheesed off. She's invested a lot of time and effort for a job which never existed. It feels like false advertising.

We're starting off with a complaint letter, including an invoice for all her time they've wasted, but we're wondering if there's anything we can do beyond that (apart from just letting it go, which we're not yet ready to do ).

Does anyone know if there's any way to hold them to account on something like this? It's not technically mis-selling I suppose. Does the Advertising Standards Authority cover job adverts? The advert did not mention that the posts were "possible" or "tentative" or any words to that effect.

It seems unacceptable that an organisation can do this to people, especially the civil service, but we're not sure how they stand legally, and whether they are in any way accountable. There will have been many other people put in a similar position by this.

Any advice appreciated.

Jack
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,861 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    Hello,

My wife recently applied for a job in the civil service. An external vacancy was advertised openly on the internet, and said they were looking to fill 12 posts.

She applied, did online tests, wrote competency answers, prepared for an interview, took a day off work to travel to the interview (it went very well, we were feeling pretty hopeful), and then she didn't hear anything for a while.

After she chased it up a couple of times, they emailed to say that "the Department have recently reviewed recruitment activity across the organisation, and as a result have paused many live vacancies." They offered "apologies you did not receive the outcome you were seeking" but nothing else. At the interview she had been told they had 25 posts to fill, but a few weeks later, they didn't want any!

Now we're feeling pretty cheesed off. She's invested a lot of time and effort for a job which never existed. It feels like false advertising.

We're starting off with a complaint letter, including an invoice for all her time they've wasted, but we're wondering if there's anything we can do beyond that (apart from just letting it go, which we're not yet ready to do ).

Does anyone know if there's any way to hold them to account on something like this? It's not technically mis-selling I suppose. Does the Advertising Standards Authority cover job adverts? The advert did not mention that the posts were "possible" or "tentative" or any words to that effect.

It seems unacceptable that an organisation can do this to people, especially the civil service, but we're not sure how they stand legally, and whether they are in any way accountable. There will have been many other people put in a similar position by this.

Any advice appreciated.

Jack
    Originally posted by jrck2
    Sorry, the bit in bold...

Just let it go. This happens to people time after time after time. People invest money in jobs they do not go on to get.

Maybe they realised after reviewing the applicants that they were all useless and decided to hold back on it!

Letting it go should be the first thing you do, rather than invoicing them for time and wanting 'something else?' what even.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 7th Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 7,317 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    Honestly don’t bother with the letter or invoice.....seriously.

Plans change & at some point I’m sure the CS planned on recruiting (do you seriously think they’ve nothing better to do with their time?) but for unknown reasons put the recruitment on hold
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 7th Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    Ever heard of a 'talent pool'?
    Sadly it does happen.

Let it go because when you are down on the luck, months or weeks later you may be glad you never sent the angry letter or wrote a review, when they do come a-calling when there is a vacancy. (And you get to realise actually is this what the job was!!)

I know it's frustrating but think of it as some sort of networking or lucky escape.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 7th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 3,867 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    Your wife is going to make an utter fool of herself if she carries on like this.

Unless you live in a bubble you'll be aware that many CS departments are affected by repeated budget cuts. As such, priorities change. Send a polite reply and they may be in touch again when they are able to recruit. Make a fuss and she can forget working in the CS in the future.
    • Energize
    • By Energize 7th Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Energize
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    Many of us have been in a similar situation, I've experienced companies interview a number of candidates only then not to hire any. In an ideal world employers would have to pay travel expenses to the candidates whose time they wasted.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Dec 17, 11:36 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,861 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:36 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:36 PM
    Many of us have been in a similar situation, I've experienced companies interview a number of candidates only then not to hire any. In an ideal world employers would have to pay travel expenses to the candidates whose time they wasted.
    Originally posted by Energize
    And everyone who embellished their CV would have to pay the companies who wasted their time interviewing them.

Everyone who made themselves out to be confident in their CV and then was flummoxed or shy and underperformed in an interview would have to pay.

Your 'ideal world' wouldn't work. Its a free market.
    • Energize
    • By Energize 7th Dec 17, 11:48 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Energize
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:48 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:48 PM
    And everyone who embellished their CV would have to pay the companies who wasted their time interviewing them.

Everyone who made themselves out to be confident in their CV and then was flummoxed or shy and underperformed in an interview would have to pay.

Your 'ideal world' wouldn't work. Its a free market.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    If someone makes a false representation about themselves that's reasonable enough, we go as far as criminalising false representation, never mind civil damages.

Shy/confident isn't a valid comparison though because it's a completely subjective term.
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 8th Dec 17, 12:09 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:09 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:09 AM
    Good luck with Invoicing them.
    • Cheeseface
    • By Cheeseface 8th Dec 17, 7:01 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    Cheeseface
    If the are vacancies on hold and your wife is on top of the list to be offered a post when they release the vacancies again, do you think the invoice will secure that post?
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 8th Dec 17, 7:02 AM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Don't waste your time getting angry on this. Spend that time and energy applying for more jobs.
    I spent 8 months filling in countless applications. Some took hours and i most often I never even heard back. Like your wife I also applied for a fake job. I completed the application then had a call from an agency inviting me in to their office. I questioned them and it was just to register me. The actual job didn't exist, they had used the profile of a company they do recruit for but at the time there were no vacancies!
    Job hunting has changed. You will face rude people, be told a job is much better than reality. You will be ignored, spoken down to and yes unwittingly apply for fake roles!
    Seriously you can't do anything about what happened so move on. Rise above it and in the end I'm sure your wife will land an even better job.
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 08-12-2017 at 7:02 AM. Reason: T
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Dec 17, 7:34 AM
    • 30,421 Posts
    • 19,230 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Good luck with the letter and invoice, being serious there.

Let us know how it goes.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 8th Dec 17, 7:37 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 6,892 Thanks
    sangie595
    The Civil Service does not have fake jobs. It has jobs. Jobs that they are often, these days, unable to fill due to budget cuts. If you wish to complain about this and send them an invoice, the correct address is:
    HM Government, c/o Theresa May, 10 Downing Street, London.
    I'm sure she'll get around to it once she has negotiated Brexit...
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 8th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    • 4,260 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Those of us who have worked for the Civil Service know that they take months to make a decision on anything, but often then change the decision at the drop of a hat. At the time the ad was placed there would have been the intention of recruiting, they don't spend money on recruitment campaigns for the fun of it. At some point a decision was made higher in the organisation to change something so those potential jobs disappeared. It's maddening but it's also a fact of life.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 8th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    As a recently ex-manager in a fairly senior role within the civil service I have had to endure recruitment being frozen mid process a number of times. The roles that were advertised were real live roles and there is still a need for them to be filled. They are on hold due to department budgets, the roles will come live again (most likely towards April) but due to spend restraint they are on hold. You have no claim for your costs because for whatever reason an offer has not been forthcoming, so your wife either has to sit tight and wait for the role to come live again or go and find a job elsewhere.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 60,993 Posts
    • 356,268 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    With such a large number it sounds like they were "planning a project" - and as part of that brought together their fictional team to run it - and then they presented their project plan/costings to a board and it was refused.

Budget was cut probably.... and think of the waste of money going through that whole exercise to not get it signed off. It probably cost the taxpayer £100k just to get a "No".
    • jrck2
    • By jrck2 8th Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jrck2
    Clear consensus that we should get off our high horse. We will. Now feel a bit silly about it actually...

Will do a friendly email asking for travel expenses and expressing interest should they re-open the vacancy.

thanks,
    jack
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,861 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Clear consensus that we should get off our high horse. We will. Now feel a bit silly about it actually...

Will do a friendly email asking for travel expenses and expressing interest should they re-open the vacancy.

thanks,
    jack
    Asking for the first bit will absolutely preclude your wife from the second...
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 8th Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 742 Posts
    • 1,491 Thanks
    seashore22
    What everyone else has said.

I had an interview for the civil service many years ago and didn't get the job. I did get another one and accepted. A few weeks later I was contacted and offered another job with the civil service.

I can't quite believe that you want to do what you have written in your post. Do not write a letter or ask for expenses if your wife has any interest in a future career in the civil service.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 8th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    ReadingTim

thanks,
    jack
    The time to ask about travel expenses is before you incur them, not afterwards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

1,308Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin