Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eliza
    • By Eliza 4th Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 1,285Posts
    • 1,808Thanks
    Eliza
    0 WOW
    Best instant coffee?
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    0 WOW
    Best instant coffee? 4th Dec 17 at 4:01 PM
    Just wondered what anyone thinks is the classiest/best tasting instant coffee? I want to make up a small food-related gift for someone and include coffee in it. I know they don't have a coffee maker and are too lazy to make it from beans so thought a good jar of instant would be a good fit. They buy Gold Blend for themselves so obviously like a bit of flavour (?) but could do with some recommendations.

I tend to drink whatever's on offer myself so not very good at judging.

Thanks

ELiza
Page 1
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 4th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 40,277 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    Just wondered what anyone thinks is the classiest/best tasting instant coffee? I want to make up a small food-related gift for someone and include coffee in it. I know they don't have a coffee maker and are too lazy to make it from beans so thought a good jar of instant would be a good fit. They buy Gold Blend for themselves so obviously like a bit of flavour (?) but could do with some recommendations.

Thanks

ELiza
    Originally posted by Eliza
    I would think that if they drink gold blend, it’s probably best to stick to what you know they like as you could spend quite a few £££ only for it to be wasted if they don’t like it.
    I personally think it’s such a personal taste thing. I have friends who swear by Nescaf!, friends who can’t drink it, friends who spend a fortune on coffee and friends who buy value brands and love it.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Eliza
    • By Eliza 4th Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,808 Thanks
    Eliza
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    I would think that if they drink gold blend, itís probably best to stick to what you know they like as you could spend quite a few £££ only for it to be wasted if they donít like it.
    I personally think itís such a personal taste thing. I have friends who swear by Nescaf!, friends who canít drink it, friends who spend a fortune on coffee and friends who buy value brands and love it.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    Thanks, maybe you're right. I know they wouldn't waste it though, whether it's value or expensive they'll use every last grain and then probably rinse the jar out with boiling water a couple of times to get their money's worth. Even if they hate it! I suspect they have gold blend cos it's what they've always had and probably their mother before them. Not really adventurous and probably has never even bothered to look at any other brands!

If all else fails then yes, a small jar of gold blend will be added to the pack. Thanks.

Eliza
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 4th Dec 17, 5:16 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:16 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:16 PM

Thanks

ELiza
    Originally posted by Eliza
    Try Clipper Fairtrade Latin American but not the decaff one. They will not be disappointed!

I have put a link to Waitrose but Sainsbury do it as well albeit currently at a higher price (£4.60 down to £4.10)

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/clipper-fairtrade-latin-american-instant-coffee/894321-333006-333007
    Last edited by RG2015; 04-12-2017 at 5:20 PM.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 5th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 12,264 Posts
    • 11,549 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    I agree it's a personal taste thing. I have been through phases where I really liked the Nescafe Azera, then moved on to Lavatza which I thought was much nicer, then someone mentioned Kenko's standard line, I tried it and hated it, moved on to my old time favorite Caf! Noir, it was my go-to coffee for about 10 years and it didn't taste as nice, moved back to Lavatza but preferred the Azera my mother had....so it's not just a personal thing but it seems to change depending on the time, who knows, maybe the weather even affects it!

OP, I'd say try coffee friends have to see if you like it before buying a full jar/tin/pot for yourself and remember that nothing is forever, your tastes could change over time.
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 5th Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Shrimply
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    A few years ago I was sent a tub of Starbucks Via, it was by far the best instant coffee I've had. They only seem to do it in sachets now though.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 5th Dec 17, 3:24 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:24 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:24 PM
    Nescafe expresso
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 5th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Teapot55
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    Douwe Egburts every time.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 5th Dec 17, 5:18 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:18 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:18 PM
    I usually get Nescafe Alta Rica or Kenco Millicano dark roast
    • Buggins
    • By Buggins 5th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    Buggins
    Starbucks via sachets (italian) or Alta rica
    • VeGGie-STyLe
    • By VeGGie-STyLe 5th Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    VeGGie-STyLe
    Nescafe Alta Rica or Lavazza Prontissimo Intenso (tin)

Do you know if they like flavoured coffees? If so, I recommend Beanies.
    • Petaldust
    • By Petaldust 5th Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Petaldust
    Kenco Millicano is always a nice treat when it's on offer - a little bit more posher without being too pricey or too different to the usual instant I drink, usually Gold Blend or similar.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 6th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    Kenco Millicano is always a nice treat when it's on offer - a little bit more posher without being too pricey or too different to the usual instant I drink, usually Gold Blend or similar.
    Originally posted by Petaldust
    I like Miliicano too. Stocked up recently when it was on offer. We have a Nespresso machine and use it fairly often , but too expensive to do that all the time, so I like s decent instant as well.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 6th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    Starbucks via sachets (italian) or Alta rica
    Originally posted by Buggins
    Where can you buy these please? Really impressed with these and used to bring them in to work, but can't find them anywhere now.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 8th Dec 17, 12:02 AM
    • 881 Posts
    • 1,270 Thanks
    chesky
    Lavazza, the intenso one (think it means strong). Only problem is that it comes in fairly small tins so you get through them quickly. It's delicious.
    • Payless
    • By Payless 8th Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 8,409 Thanks
    Payless
    Lavazza, the intenso one (think it means strong). Only problem is that it comes in fairly small tins so you get through them quickly. It's delicious.
    Originally posted by chesky
    Totally agree. It's a lot cheaper in B and M bargains as well.........when they have it in
    • MrsWenger
    • By MrsWenger 8th Dec 17, 10:52 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    MrsWenger
    We usually have Gold Blend but are converts to Kenco Millicano now.
    • fifi35
    • By fifi35 9th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    fifi35
    Alta Rica for me. No other compares.
    • SHEILA54
    • By SHEILA54 13th Dec 17, 3:13 AM
    • 1,770 Posts
    • 5,797 Thanks
    SHEILA54
    Kenco Millicano for me. I buy it only when on offer as it can be expensive otherwise. It is on offer for £2.50 in Sainsbury's at the moment
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,297Posts Today

5,301Users online

Martin's Twitter